Thread: Massive frozen food recall

Default Massive frozen food recall

There's a huge frozen food recall out there for Lysteria contamination.
    358 products sold under 42 brand names. Unfortunately most with an Organic label.

Check the list and check your freezers.
    http://crffrozenfoods.com/recall-press-release/

Another good reason to process your own.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Oh my stars, THAT IS MUCH BIGGER THAN WHAT THEY POSTED ON YAHOO. Big name brands including Trader Joes, Safeway and such. Thanks!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

That really sucks. So many foods affected.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Looks like most brands are distributed in western states. The local names I recognize are Trader Joe's and Great Value(Walmart). Safeway has left my area. We have Super G, Food Lion, Redner's and Harris Teeter, to name a few.
    Thankfully I try to use fresh vegetables when possible.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Those vegetables were fresh once.

Unless you mean fresh outta the back yard.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I meant not frozen.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Fresh, local and organic, those are three words that get tossed around and loosely defined by industrial food producers. I wonder how much food contamination was around before modern refrigeration?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Before refrigeration produce was sold seasonally. You might not see broccoli but two weeks out of the year, strawberries were a one week treat each year and everything else was eaten as it came in ripe and not seen until the next year.

Cities were supplied by regional farmers who trucked their produce to town by the wagon load. Truck farms they were called.

When winter came you lived off what you had canned, salted, dried, pickled or otherwise preserved. If you had done none of that you lived on salted meat, dry beans and spuds from October to June.

I get a kick out of the Subway sandwich shops and their, "Made fresh" claims. Everything in that store is shipped in from California, Florida or taken out of a can and just slicing something the day before does not make it "fresh".
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I wonder how much food contamination was around before modern refrigeration?
    ...and before plastic?
    ...produce was sold seasonally...
    I don't know how comparable or bad things were way-back-when, but today there is a lot of waste...

http://www.fao.org/save-food/resources/keyfindings/en/

...much of which I think is because of the practice of trying to make all shelves full all of the time, regardless of if it get's sold or not. We want everything to be available all of the time, and since we're used to that, we're a bit irresponsible about what we buy and how much, and using it versus just tossing it because it doesn't matter.

However things happened in the past, today this amounts to a lot of waste on many levels and in many respects. Just kinda sucks to think about.

I really do like that idea I heard about a while back of many places doing the FreightFarms thing - shipping container, vertical hydroponic, only red and blue LED lights, very efficient water usage, climate controlled, year round production, extremely high yields...these things can dot our urban-scapes everywhere using a very small footprint, and people get their stuff with it rarely needing to be transported very far.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-07-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward