Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USA mre vrs Canadian mre

Default USA mre vrs Canadian mre

I spent last weekend at squirrel camp. Basically we hang out in the woods around a fire, swap lies and a couple of the guys hunt squirrels. Anyhoo I worked a trade with one of the guys on a canadian mre. he ate them through the weekend. There is such a difference between these two mres. One of these days when I'm hungry I'll open both up and take some photos to show the differences. One thing I noticed is the canadian meal has a long spoon to reach to the bottom of the pouches. well one of these days, probably this weekend I'll peel both open and post a review.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Any Back Bacon in the package?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't know lol but the canadian mre looked like it was made up by a bunch of moms packing a lunches for big kids.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Banned

It is amazing that Canadian MRE's have a NSN. Perhaps it's that NATO compatibility stuff? Anyway here is a link: http://www.mreinfo.com/international.../canadian-imp/

I noticed in M118lr's link that the canadian mre is expected to last 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    It is amazing that Canadian MRE's have a NSN. Perhaps it's that NATO compatibility stuff? Anyway here is a link: http://www.mreinfo.com/international.../canadian-imp/
    The link to mreinfo is very interesting. It is interesting to see that different countries have such different ideas about what to serve their soldiers.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This got me to checking what the other NATO countries pack as rations. It was very interesting. While we pack individual meals most of the other nations pack a one day ration box. Each box has instructions and contents printed in English, French and German.

It appears they attempt to keep the menus only slightly to the nationalistic side with entrees and additions that would not be repulsive to any of the member nations troops. The Germans lean heavy toward sausage snacks and the French toward pates. Everyone has lots of hot and cold drink mixes, power bars, jam, crackers, candy and gum. Lots of tissue and towels.

And everyone seems to have a pork w/potatoes and cheese entree as the main meal.

While we use the chemical immersion heater they include a rig that resembles an Esbit stove. That means they must also still issue a pot or pan for cooking, since the pouches would not work over an open flame.

The only thing I saw in any of the contents that I would only eat if starving was a pork liver pate included in the French ration.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Cool site......Looking over the French list for dinner...Squid “Armoricaine”??...Seriously?
    How much wine is packed in the box?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Cool site......Looking over the French list for dinner...Squid “Armoricaine”??...Seriously?
    How much wine is packed in the box?
    I think the French figure that if you grind anything up finely enough and add enough spices it will be eatable!

Plus the French and Germans pack enough in eatch ration pack that if you can not gag down the main entre you will have enough snacks to hold you over or trade for something fit to eat.

You probably have to get your "Tiger Blood" as a separate ration. I remember that when I was in they got a small can of "wine concentrate" which was supposed to be mixed with a liter of water.

You guessed it! They would drink it straight from the can!

It was pretty horrible stuff but I was not a wine drinker so what do I know?

I can recall ...a while back, I think it was Sportsman Guild was selling French canteens....1/2 water, 1/2 wine in the same canteen.
    Can't find them now.....

NSN is a "Nato Stock Number". Anything that is military has a one. Here is a link that explains them.

http://www.wingovernmentcontracts.co...number-nsn.htm

I suppose a lot of the food supplies has pork products in them to keep the current enemies from raiding food stores?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

National Stock Number, NATO Country of origin, and NIIN are all for different purposes natertot. Think of the NSN as the Union Label, it's what some American Supply Clerk is going to use to order the product for the Unit. If anyone is curious, there are special rations specifically designed to be dropped for relief operations to different ethnic/global areas as directed by the UN. In the global areas inhabited primarily by those of the Islamic faith, it might surprise you that pork isn't on the docket.

Perhaps I had an Infidel moment on a Christmas long past when WE decorated the (twig) X-mass tree with gum wrapper ornaments (adorned with the names of our loved ones) , while I sliced a portion of pork sausage placed on a piece of hardtack and We washed it down with a thimble full of wine, (sent by my long deceased Mom) after a Christian/Catholic prayer. Then We buried the evidence in the Islamic sand, and continued on with our mission. But I'm going to leave out tales of meals even further past, with far greater indifference to political correctness. I shall leave this to others to rerail/derail.

I am surprised that the Canadians don't use our MREs. Their diets and our diets aren't THAT different. Plus, we could share suppliers and cut costs. Of course, if you look at how our own military has different cammies for every branch just to be different from the other ones kind of explains why Canada would want to be different. Troop morale. I wonder if they have one that has fries with that sauce they like to put on them. Can't remember the name. Not one of my favorites.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I am surprised that the Canadians don't use our MREs. Their diets and our diets aren't THAT different. Plus, we could share suppliers and cut costs. Of course, if you look at how our own military has different cammies for every branch just to be different from the other ones kind of explains why Canada would want to be different. Troop morale. I wonder if they have one that has fries with that sauce they like to put on them. Can't remember the name. Not one of my favorites.
    You mean Maple Syrup? ;D Yeah, Canada is very proud of the fact that they are not America, especially as of late, so I'm sure that they would push hard to keep things like that unique to themselves.
    Kevin Koeven
    Staying Alive Comedy

Twitter: @stayingalivetv
    Instagram: @stayingalivetv
    facebook: Staying Alive Comedy

youtube.com/stayingalivecomedy

You mean to tell me that Canada is not a state up north?

Quote Originally Posted by Staying Alive Comedy View Post
    You mean Maple Syrup?
    Malt Vinegar

Banned

Mayonnaise, they put it on everything. It's the Brits that use Malt Vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Staying Alive Comedy View Post
    You mean Maple Syrup? ;D Yeah, Canada is very proud of the fact that they are not America, especially as of late, so I'm sure that they would push hard to keep things like that unique to themselves.
    That's true. Have been since 1783 or therabouts. Ut Incepit Fidelis Sic Permanet and all that.

As one of anglo-quebecker stock, I am disappointed by the lack of Poutine in our armed forces IMPs. And butter tarts for that matter. And there should be twice as much whitener and sugar in there, otherwise how are they supposed to have their coffee double double?

Mayonnaise, they put it on everything. It's the Brits that use Malt Vinegar.
    Hmmmm. Every time I go up there I see malt vinegar everywhere. I typically visit the eastern side though. Haven't been to Manitoba since high school.

It's not maple syrup, malt vinegar nor mayonnaise that typically is slathered on fries. It's gravy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel