Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Grylls Gets Called Out! Too Rugged!

Default Bear Grylls Gets Called Out! Too Rugged!

Nothing like a transvestite to criticize how retro a "rugged" man is.

If you want to be with the "in crowd," you must stop being so "manly."

http://davidthompson.typepad.com/dav...have-that.html

Enjoy.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I have never been accused of being part of the "in crowd" or of being particularly "manly" and I do not like branding of outdoor gear with the names of "survival experts". That article, though, might just be enough to send me to Walmart to look for a Bear Grylls Survival Knife.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 05-01-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Well that tears it......Makes me wanna tear my hanky.

How dare a "a part-time transvestite and maker of unattractive pottery" pick on our old buddy Bear....We would rather do hat ourselves, thank you very much.

What the heck is "a part-time transvestite"?....I though you are or.....you aren't?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have mixed responses to this thing.

Firstly, I just wouldn't defend Grylls too much anyway. Using him as an example of rugged, manly, or masculine? Really? And I saw a B.G. firestarter the other day in WalMart...seemed like such a puny thing. Just for someone to have almost as a fashion accessory to say "see, I'm a survivalist type", but that's all. Sure, it'll make sparks, and that's what you need. But something with a "survival dude's" name on it...who is worth very much as a survival dude...you'd want for it to be a little more than what I saw. This is the dude who tells everybody that they should drink their piss.

But secondly, this other guy is correct. To an extent. He's talking about the human wilderness and having to deal with those challenges and survive in unfamiliar circumstances which may have nothing to do with the natural wilderness and not benefiting from enough modern technology in said wilderness situations. There certainly something to be said about that.

But thirdly, to juxtapose this against another definition of "manliness" just doesn't apply nor make sense. This is going in the direction of basically talking about some form of "metrosexuality", and the problem with that is that the word 'metrosexual'...it's definition and the implied truths which must be in order for it to be valid...is unnecessary and stupid. The whole point of this idiotic word...it's etymology...is to identify someone who is 'straight' (heterosexual), yet can navigate and thrive in an urban environment (as if only gay men could do this); Is well groomed and have some sense of taste or style; Is not intrinsically too competitive and prone to physical violence; Is compassionate and nurturing; etc. Yet - It has never been true in the first place that 'most' males are, intrinsic of their biological gender, inappropriately competitive and violent let alone more so than females; 'Straight' men have always been just as compassionate and nurturing as anyone else, and have never been lacking as a gender in general of a sense of style or being well groomed; And 'straight' men, let alone men who are capable within the "wild frontier", have certainly never had a history of being lost and inept within a city...

...and then this attempt of mine to understand the sense of all this is further complicated by the fact that it's a transvestite who is saying "my manliness is more manly than yours".

And finally, the fact that anyone would downgrade the legitimacy of being capable within low-tech/wilderness situations and environments, outside of urban ones (as if it's a dying and quaint idea of 'manliness'), is only further indication of how much people take this modern life for granted and would be pretty lost if it ever goes away to any extent.

So...if all this that I've said seems too much, it's only because I otherwise can't figure out the point of stuff like this. And this is just my attempt to make some sense of it.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-01-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I think you worked real hard at this...
    Quote>.
    So...if all this that I've said seems too much, it's only because I otherwise can't figure out the point of stuff like this. And this is just my attempt to make some sense of it.
    <quote
    I'll just say....OK...Fine?

I don't usually need other people's opinions to form my own.
    Facts are important. Opinions, not so much.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I guess I really don't ponder much about my "manliness". Sorta comes with the territory ...except at Target.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Why do I care what this @$^&$*%E$%^! thinks? He needs to run down to his favorite nightclub and get a fresh hit of acid, achieve his normalcy and quit passing judgment on all the people he would $h!& a brick if he though were passing judgment on him.

Wonder if he feels Survival Lilly is too macho? I have been enjoying her videos lately and seeing a European perspective of the outdoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_ejqi_6vk

And why is he working from the prejudicial position that outdoorsman are an insult to his feminity, or being outdoors is a completely male thing.

Seems like once these people get some kind of voice they instantly forget that they are .0003% of the population and start thinking someone cares what they think.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The proper nswer was asked and answered years ago in the Q&A- Playboy Advisory Cira 1970's

Question:
    Dear Playboy, I am a biker, and want to wear an earing.
    But I have been told the which ear you wear it in has to do with sexual orientation...... .
    So which ear is which?

Answer:
    What the heck kind of candy azzed biker are you any way....
    Wear it on what ever side you want, proudly.
    You don't give a crap what people think.

If you have to ask, don't wear one.
    PA

So....Who cares?

Ooohh, girlfriend (snap) you are SO butch!

- William Arthur Ward

The writer of the article has problems with his self esteem so he attacks the self esteem of others. He has problems with his sexual orientations so he attacks the sexual orientations of others. Psychology 101. Definitely a sick man. He shows obvious verbal attack and verbal violence which is a foruner of physical violence. Yep, he should stay within his protected group and not venture into areas such the outdoors where people may react to his violent insults with equally violent insults of their own. His personality is his problem. People will react to that and say or do whatever they darn well please to keep what they perceive as a dangerous person away from them. Deal with his problems and personality and he might just be able to get outside of his group and enjoy natural environments rather than criticize those who do.

This has been the most confusing load of carp I have ever read! Them there transvestites are confusing enough all by themselves, and now they are too manly............OMG!

Aw Heck, next thing you know beards will be back in again......

Which beards you talkin about?

- William Arthur Ward

well that's just fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Which beards you talkin about?
    I was talking about on the face......But in the context of this thread, could be any usage....

Oh, it'd be on the face alright...

- William Arthur Ward

I love Survival Lilly! If you haven't seen any of the videos her pal Bushcraft Stephi is also awesome.

I would say this article, or the person being critical of Grylls, represents everything that is wrong with society. For centuries, young men had to prove their manliness. They went on a quest, or spirit journey, or war...something. And, what are the consequences of not doing something like this....mentally unstable young men who are more violent and dangerous. We will continue to see young men losing it and resorting to mass murder as we see society continually degrading manliness and the need to be a man.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hey folks, this guy is British.

It is to be expected.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?