Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle survival

Default Bicycle survival

This is something that just occurred to me. I've been getting by with the bicycle for a few weeks since my last beater died, trying to get some old debts paid off before I dump the cash on another one.

By default, I've got the usual on-body resources; pocketknife, lighter, and usually some 65lb SpiderWire line sewn in here and there for emergency clothing repairs. In the saddlebags, I have one of the cheap spork/can opener tools, a shemagh and an extra reflector vest in case I'm out in low visibility without a hi-vis t-shirt. Seat bag has a spare tube, bike multi tool, and a better patch kit than the one that came with the tool. Depending on destination, I'll have a clean company shirt, some snacks, a soda or two, etc. plus usually a grocery bag or two to wrap up non-waterproof things in case of rain. I try to keep a full bottle of plain water in at least one cage, though the other may be Gatorade, lemonade, soda or empty depending on planned distance. (Daily commute is just under 5mi each way, mostly in town. Mom's place is 6mi, mostly out of town. Most stores are between home and work. Haven't done any touring lately, so mom's is as far out of town as I'm likely to be most of the time. If touring, I'd generally have a lightweight camping setup, so short term "survival" on a tour would just mean camping somewhere other than the intended location.)

Obviously, if the bike becomes non-repairable, it's got a few good resources to be cannibalized, but I'm trying to decide on adding a few other small items for a day-to-day emergency kit. There's roughly enough room left in the seat bag for a pack of cigarettes, and that bag never comes off except for seat adjustments or repairs. There's space in the other bags, but I do occasionally leave them off when I don't expect to need them.
    Last edited by NightSG; 04-29-2016 at 11:15 AM.

I like putting flashlights and basic FAK in my stuff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

More water. Less soda and sugar. PowerBars or some kind of energybars. Tarp and paracord. Multitool.

But it looks pretty good for what you're trying to prep for. Maybe a light rucksack in case of catastrophic bike fail and you have to go on foot.

...unless you're just really neglecting your bicycle and never looking at it, or don't have what're the few very basic tools (and maybe some spare parts), a bicycle is pretty reliable - pretty easy to repair on the road. Is that your experience? You'll sure be in shape too.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I like putting flashlights and basic FAK in my stuff.
    Forgot; my primary headlight is one of the Energizer "250 lumen" 2AA flashlights in a handlebar mount. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-...-Gray/21581009

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    More water. Less soda and sugar. PowerBars or some kind of energybars.
    I usually do try to keep a Clif bar in the seat bag, but apparently I ate it at some point. The sodas are more being transported in the second cage for swilling at the destination, rather than a part of the bike equipment. Lemonade is usually half strength, and Gatorade gets watered down after I drink the first half.

Tarp and paracord. Multitool.
    Not sure about packing a tarp for the commute/utility rides. I do have a bungee or two on there most of the time, for lashing things to the rack. Haven't needed a stronger lashing than the bungees and SpiderWire, but I may add 20-30' of 550 to the bottom of one of the bags.

Maybe a light rucksack in case of catastrophic bike fail and you have to go on foot.
    Need to tuck the sport sling sack thing back in there. It got wet, but it was in a side pocket in case I needed to pick up groceries on the way home when the weather was cooler; a jacket fills most of the space in a saddlebag, but is so light that it's barely noticeable in the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    ...unless you're just really neglecting your bicycle and never looking at it, or don't have what're the few very basic tools (and maybe some spare parts), a bicycle is pretty reliable - pretty easy to repair on the road. Is that your experience?
    There are still things that can kill it pretty effectively. I had a relatively minor fall break a back axle once, which is annoying because it had to be ordered in and requires completely disassembling the guts of the hub to change. (Dealing with all those loose ball bearings on the side of the road would be an absolute last resort.) I could see that happening in a drop off a curb too, though, if one was just unlucky at the moment. Other than that, short of a wreck that warps a wheel beyond "quick and dirty" truing with a spoke wrench, there's not a lot that wouldn't usually give some advance warning during routine maintenance and inspection.

You'll sure be in shape too.
    Working on it. Just ran out of holes on my belt and some of my fitted dress shirts have stopped gapping at the gut when I sit down.
    Last edited by NightSG; 04-29-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    Working on it. Just ran out of holes on my belt and some of my fitted dress shirts have stopped gapping at the gut when I sit down.
    And I bought a pair of cargo shorts 2" smaller than my usual size yesterday...I can fit both fists in the waistband. Going to have to rework the wardrobe.

New fenders are here today, and it's pouring rain outside, so even if I get a break in that for the ride home, I'll be installing them before I leave work to deal with the puddles.

What's a little water.......
    Used to ride my Yamaha Enduro back and forth to work.....Got soaked many times
    But I do see your point....them tires throwing water in your face and up/down your back can't be fun.

Yea I found out long time ago when my car was a motorcycle for years that fender design is important. Water gets thrown right up and on you otherwise.

- William Arthur Ward

Yea I found out long time ago when my car was a motorcycle for years that fender design is important. Water gets thrown right up and on you otherwise.
    It's not the water coming down that's a problem. Rainwater is just a free shower. It's the stuff coming up that's mixed with assorted road goo.

When the crack of your butte is wet......YOU ARE WET......

No fender action...the only way to get soaked when the rain isn't even coming down.

- William Arthur Ward

Ok, with a busted drive side spoke on the rear wheel, I'm going to have to update the list of survival-situation tools for bike use.

Tire kit (patches, extra tubes, extra rim strips, adapters if using Presta valves, pump, etc.)
    Dry lube for chain
    Chain tool
    Spare chain
    Bike multi tool
    Large adjustable wrench
    Spokes, front and back (double check lengths to be sure) with nipples
    Spoke wrench (a real, quality one, not the notches on the multi tool)
    Freewheel remover, or cassette lockring remover and chain whip depending on bike
    Cone wrenches
    Spare axles, front and rear
    Good grease
    Batteries for lights
    Assorted 5 & 6 mm screws (having your rack ruined for lack of a ten cent screw would suck in a bug out)
    Bungee cords, zip ties and velcro-type cable ties

Bottom bracket tools and crank puller won't do you much good unless it's a cup and cone type BB or you carry a spare cartridge type. Either kind will usually last quite a while though, so good maintenance is key here.

Btw this made me think...trailer. In case you're ending up having to find ways to attach so many things to your bike, with or without racks here and there. But if it applies, I have an idea for a trailer approach - if weight and minimalism (or expense) is an issue.

Firstly...there's a certain kind of cart, that's hard to describe in words. Is light, and folds up flat in one action. Is something you just pull behind you. This link is just what I came up with in a search to find a pic of it -

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/96176535

Ok, so, imagine this...when you're pulling it behind you while walking, it just tilts back and rides on it's two wheels. Rig up any ole kind of rigid bar that extends backwards from your frame out over your rear wheel. Make the end of it be at whatever height works, and you tilt this cart back like you would, and attach it's handle any ole way to the rigid bar...even just a bungee will do, if not some kind of adaptable bracket from a hardware store - it will naturally turn with you and follow your bike, being on only it's two wheels and where it's attached allowing it to swivel. I don't think you'd have to worry about weight balance from one time to another - how far back to tilt it and the height of the bar - once attached, it'll just behave and stay where it's at.

It's a light and inexpensive thing that's otherwise ready-made, and while it might not be made for hard road riding, on the other hand it's simple and light construction allows for easy constant improvisational repair. Or even modification later when you find what will work for you.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 06-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I know a guy that has a nice GMC van for sale, you guys can use it for a support vehicle!

Most long distance bike efforts have them.

That or a wife/girlfriend on the other end of the smart phone, with a bike rack on their Honda Civic.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I know a guy that has a nice GMC van for sale, you guys can use it for a support vehicle!

Most long distance bike efforts have them.

That or a wife/girlfriend on the other end of the smart phone, with a bike rack on their Honda Civic.
    ....and motel reservations .....

Btw this made me think...trailer. In case you're ending up having to find ways to attach so many things to your bike, with or without racks here and there. But if it applies, I have an idea for a trailer approach - if weight and minimalism (or expense) is an issue.

Firstly...there's a certain kind of cart, that's hard to describe in words. Is light, and folds up flat in one action. Is something you just pull behind you. This link is just what I came up with in a search to find a pic of it -
    http://www.nycewheels.com/burley-tra...FQ6oaQod9QcAXw

Personally, I prefer the single wheel designs if I might have to go off road at all. Less chance of one wheel getting caught and slinging the whole trailer to one side.

http://www.discountramps.com/bicycle...FQQEaQodWRcP6Q

Yea, only you know what's best in your case. I was thinking one or two hundred dollars versus 25 bucks might be what makes the difference.

- William Arthur Ward

Safe attachment is the issue with anything not designed to attach to the bike. Remember it's going to hook up alongside or over the rear wheel and most of the drivetrain, so coming loose could have really bad results. Lots of potential there to cripple the bike or the rider.

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    Ok, with a busted drive side spoke on the rear wheel, I'm going to have to update the list of survival-situation tools for bike use.

Tire kit (patches, extra tubes, extra rim strips, adapters if using Presta valves, pump, etc.)
    Dry lube for chain
    Chain tool
    Spare chain
    Bike multi tool
    Large adjustable wrench
    Spokes, front and back (double check lengths to be sure) with nipples
    Spoke wrench (a real, quality one, not the notches on the multi tool)
    Freewheel remover, or cassette lockring remover and chain whip depending on bike
    Cone wrenches
    Spare axles, front and rear
    Good grease
    Batteries for lights
    Assorted 5 & 6 mm screws (having your rack ruined for lack of a ten cent screw would suck in a bug out)
    Bungee cords, zip ties and velcro-type cable ties

Bottom bracket tools and crank puller won't do you much good unless it's a cup and cone type BB or you carry a spare cartridge type. Either kind will usually last quite a while though, so good maintenance is key here.
    What is your goal again? From your first post, this is a day-to-day emergency kit. Your longest distance is 5 mi. to home. You aren't leaving home with the intent to live for an extended period of time off the bike. Is that still your intention?

If this is a day-to-day kit, and you do routine maintenance, you won't need spare axles. You can easily ride 5 miles on a slightly bad axle, and then fix it when you get home. You should check your axles before you leave anyways, it only takes a second of shaking the tires. How often do your spokes go bad? I have never had a spoke break on me. But, if it happens to you regularly, then sure, bring stuff to fix it. The chain tool and a couple extra links is probably all you need. The chain tool is a necessity. An extra chain is overkill. If you lube the chain on a normal basis, you won't need to carry chain lube. It takes a LONG time to wear out, and you can ride a lot more than 5 miles with a non-lubed chain. How often do your cassettes go bad? If you are considering a trailer, then you are for sure going beyond a day-to-day kit. And, if you plan to use this as a never coming back kit, then for sure get a trailer, and don't forget the tig welder in case your frame breaks.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    What is your goal again? From your first post, this is a day-to-day emergency kit. Your longest distance is 5 mi. to home. You aren't leaving home with the intent to live for an extended period of time off the bike. Is that still your intention?
    No; the full kit would be for bug out. Only some of it would be day-to-day.

How often do your spokes go bad?
    Not very, but it sucks when it does. I'll be rebuilding the wheels completely with new spokes and nipples soon, so hopefully it won't be an issue for a couple years. Frankly, with Wheelsmith straight gauge at around $25 per 50 spokes and nipples at $10 per hundred, I might just add a rebuild to my annual maintenance.

If you lube the chain on a normal basis, you won't need to carry chain lube.
    I use a teflon dry lube on the chain that's also handy for everything else that doesn't need heavy grease. Plus it's just comforting to hit the chain with it after a muddy ride.

How often do your cassettes go bad?
    Cassette or freewheel has to come off to replace a drive side spoke.