Thread: Letherman modifications

Makery and Mischief

Default Letherman modifications

Has anyone dun or herd of and good modifications dun to a letherman. I got the sperit SwissTool and have alredy dun a few modifications any more ideas would be appreciated. So far i turned the small screwdriver into a sowing awl, turned part of the big screwdriver into a gut hook, sharpened the side of the chisel so its another knife edge , and turend the can opener into a spoon gouge.
    Last edited by Zachary Fowler; 04-29-2016 at 09:12 AM.

No, I don't modify them. I get the one with the tools I need.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I guess I wouldn't mod anything either?....Unless I break something.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Considering the price of those things (I have 2 multitools), I wouldn't risk messing either one up.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I favor the Gerber multi-tools.

They allow one to change blades very easily and I have one that I have modified by swapping needed tools from one to another.

I normally sharpen any of the can openers on their leading edge since it improves their can opening function as well as adding another adaptable cutting edge. I do that on my SAK can openers too.

They are also cheaper than the Leatherman so not as expensive if one messes up.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    No, I don't modify them. I get the one with the tools I need.
    As was pointed out on Alone, in a primitive situation far from screws, the 2-3 screwdrivers in a typical tool are pretty useless. I don't recall ever seeing one that didn't have at least a flat and some sort of Philips. Better for that situation to mod the drivers into something more appropriate or swap them for something else useful. Personally, if I was going on the show, I'd look at swapping one or both out for extra knife blades both to have different profiles and to hopefully have one still very sharp after a month or more away from a really good honing setup.

Same if I was getting one for my bike; I've already got a good Philips screwdriver and hex keys on a bike-specific tool that doesn't have pliers or wire cutters, so anything more useful in those slots would be better. Maybe a spoke wrench cut deeper and from better quality steel than what's on the bike tool, and/or a very steep angled carbon steel blade for use with a firesteel to avoid blunting a knife.

Makery and Mischief

I tryed to post a pic but it wont upload from my phone. I really didnt mes anything up by modifing it. Outside of the can opener being turned into a spoon gouge the modifications are very clean-looking I almost couldn't tell if I clean them up a little bit more but they were not original. And I did them with a file so it didn't ruin the temper. The spoon couch has a slight hammered look but I remembered it and it's holding and it's great. I'll try again later with from my computer to post a pic. I really like Swiss Army tools but I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the metal file doesn't have a diamond Stone on one side like Leatherman and it doesn't come out the way Leatherman does. But it's not that big a deal I'm really good at primitive sharpening. I can get a razor edge with a stick and clay or mud.

It's all about what you need, and what you want a tool to do.
    I have made mods on stuff if it doesn't do what I need.......but a multi tool isn't one.

I'm more of a SAK guy....and have used the screwdriver's...mine doesn't have a Philips, just a small straight blade on an opener....that I have pressed into service.

I carry the SAK daily so is used for many things both in the woods and during my normal activities.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27