Thread: Stranded on an island 60 hours

Default Stranded on an island 60 hours

First time I read this I thought it said 60 days, but then I caught that the guy wasn't even there three days and was ready to die.

http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...s-ready-to-die

The man had said his final prayer and was "preparing to die," according to Stephen Shearman, the director of the episode "Death Down Under," and one of the five people who found the castaway.
    If Matt Graham has an exact polar opposite, Animal Planet has found him.

That's quite a story.....but with out water, thing can go wrong fast.

Did get a kick out of this line....from the article

In addition to resolving to be more cautious in the wilderness, especially during Australian summers, Tremine made a promise to God that he will start smoking once again.

"He's given up smoking, but he's promised God he's going to start smoking again. If he had a lighter, he'd be able to cook, and he'd have a fire," Shearman said, laughing.
    Quote.

I have always thought if you want a fire...Hang out with a smoker.....He can light a fire on the moon....if he craving a smoke.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

When I quit smoking I traded the lighter in the pocket for a ferro-rod on the keychain.

I am not about to start back up smoking, my last three vehicles have been bought with "cigarette money".

And the time frame put the guy directly in the path of death in that 60 hour window due to no water on the island.

An Australian summer with temps above 100f and three days without water, yep a recipe for death from dehydration.

Rule of threes and all.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Just takes a few days. High temps. No water. Not knowing what to do. And you might meet your maker whether you're ready to or not.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I can understand his despair. With no water in the hot sun, 60 hours is really pushing it. You could be close to cashing in your chips. And with no one knowing he was even missing I'd say I might be feeling a bit defeated in that situation, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I can understand his despair. With no water in the hot sun, 60 hours is really pushing it. You could be close to cashing in your chips. And with no one knowing he was even missing I'd say I might be feeling a bit defeated in that situation, too.
    And yet, the linked "related story" at the end is about a 72 year old woman who made it 9 days in the Arizona desert.
    http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...help-in-sticks

How much better off would this guy have been with a simple pocket sized emergency kit? For the sake of argument, let's assume the size limit is equal to a pack of cigarettes. (I'll be generous; assume they're 100s.)

Yeah....well no matter how well you plan...Ship happens....

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    And yet, the linked "related story" at the end is about a 72 year old woman who made it 9 days in the Arizona desert.
    http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...help-in-sticks

How much better off would this guy have been with a simple pocket sized emergency kit? For the sake of argument, let's assume the size limit is equal to a pack of cigarettes. (I'll be generous; assume they're 100s.)
    Remember he'd already suffered heat stroke. And the first line of the article you linked said the woman had access to fresh water from a pond. The guy on the island had nothing available except undrinkable seawater. However you'll get no argument from me on that one count- he sure should have had some emergency gear!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I do not really think this was an experienced fisherman.

If he had ever had any fishing experience he would have had at least a case of beer!

That would put him in good shape for the first day.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't Kyrat...I was thinking the same thing.....maybe they fish different down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The guy on the island had nothing available except undrinkable seawater.
    Doesn't say what part of the island he was on, but it looks like there's a stream or two and even a small inland lake there.

IMO, part of being an experienced outdoorsman of any sort should include avoiding heatstroke and having some sort of backup plan.

(Yes, I know, dying slowly in agony is technically a backup plan, but not a very good one.)

I couldn't tell from any of the articles if there were any streams. The clip in the video looked like stock footage, not the area where they found him. It's true than a real fisherman would have had beer, but it did say he got separated from his boat, and thus from his beer! At any rate, all's well that ends well.

Heck, apparently some professional yachtsmen don't know how to swim.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward