Thread: beef heart

Default beef heart

There's a fairly chi chi butcher shop up the road from me....I don't usually shop there, because while their product is good, it costs more than I can see my way clear to paying. However, i've discovered they sell beef heart for a pretty low price per pound. I've had heart, a buddy of mine used to cook it sometimes, it was pretty good, so this seems like something worth picking up. However, I have no idea how to actually cook the stuff myself. Does anybody have any advice they could share?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

My recipe for cooking heart is long and slow in a crock pot, with mushroom, onions and beef gravy. I add red skin potatoes toward the end of the cooking time. The heart can be sliced first or cooked whole. I have a mini crock pot that is the perfect size for cooking a heart. I usually put it on low at about mid morning and it is well done by dinner time (7 or 8 hr ) I often add 1/2 to 1 whole cup of Burgundy wine while it is cooking.
    Geezer Squad #2

so, how much of that wine is for the beef and how much is for the cook?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

All for the beef! I do not drink Burgundy!
    Geezer Squad #2

I really like heart, beef,pork,poultry,deer, whatever. My absolute favorite way to fix it is simply to boil it and slice it and eat it with salt. Otherwise, I boil it, cut it into small pieces to go in dressing (stuffing). Just my preferences.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I like to stir fry it. If you have never had one before google how to butcher it. There is a skin like material around the outside that you will want to remove, and you need to rise it with a lot of water. Then just cut into strips and stir fry with you choice of vegetables. The last deer heart I ate was stir fried with bell peppers and onions and it was great.

As a gout sufferer...organ meats are out.......Oh darn.....(heh, heh, heh.)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I cook beef heart in a covered corningware dish with a bit of water and red wine. Usually quartered, turned inside up and stuffed with a bread stuffing of some sort, with onions and celery and thyme
    Cooks in about an hour and twenty minutes more or less.
    Do not let it dry out. Nothing stinks worse.

That part about the cleaning... Usually the butcher will remove all the tough valve stuff for you if it's still there. or you can do it with a very sharp knife. I've never had to skin the pericardium off either on anything from the butcher.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-25-2016 at 08:05 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I cook beef heart in a covered corningware dish with a bit of water and red wine. Usually quartered, turned inside up and stuffed with a bread stuffing of some sort, with onions and celery and thyme
    Cooks in about an hour and twenty minutes more or less.
    Do not let it dry out. Nothing stinks worse.

That part about the cleaning... Usually the butcher will remove all the tough valve stuff for you if it's still there. or you can do it with a very sharp knife. I've never had to skin the pericardium off either on anything from the butcher.
    Never skinned any heart I have gotten from a butcher either, same with chicken or turkey gizzards, they are already Skinned (the tough lining inside the gizzard must be removed) Gizzard breaded and S-L-O-W fried or boiled and cut up to put into dressing along with heart and liver mmmm!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    As a gout sufferer...organ meats are out.......Oh darn.....(heh, heh, heh.)
    So sorry! My boyfriend spent a week in the hospital the end of Feb. with CHF, he finally after 7 years agreed to having a defibrillator implanted, but he had to have an aggressive Lasix IV push to removed the fluids from around his heart.

the consequences of having the Lasix push? Gout! Two days after he came home, he could not walk due to the inflammation in his big toe joint. He has had two more episodes since then, because he will not keep taking the medication they gave him, AND he likes to stop at KYfry and grab a container of chicken livers to eat on the ride home.... he is so stubborn.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Sometimes........just sometimes......if you're going to ignore the doctors, you better be tough.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sometimes........just sometimes......if you're going to ignore the doctors, you better be tough.
    ....and sometime being tough isn't worth the trouble......
    Got some new meds for my gout....so far so good.....

Remove the white connective tissue around the heart and slice it up. Let it soak in buttermilk for an hour, dredge it in seasoned flour and fry it. It has a good, salty taste to it.

Just eat it raw while its still pumping.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yup, especially when you are dealing with those pesky urate chrystals. They look like little needles for a reason, and when they gather together in that joint, they have a party going on in there when you try to walk, they are reminding you of what you were not supposed to do, but did it anyway!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

....and sometime being tough isn't worth the trouble......
    Got some new meds for my gout....so far so good.....
    Are you taking the daily dose? He has the daily one, AND the tiny purple one just in case, however he is NOT taking the daily one.....then when he has a flare oh my God!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

The latest is.... Colchicine....and so far the side effects have been minimal.

The latest is.... Colchicine....and so far the side effects have been minimal.
    That is his new "everyday" Rx, but it sits untouched, until he starts feeling the pain, but he also has the tiny purple rescue that he is supposed to take within 36 hours of onset of the pain. The Colchicine can't work if it stays in the bottle!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I do the one everyday...was supposed to be two a day....that seemed to mess up the stomach.

Didn't do the last stuff everyday ...as it did mess me up ....but sometime was too late when I felt an attach coming on.....

I just gave up and added to all the other meds I have to take daily......Nothing fun, though.