Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to discover inexspensive 1/2 a cow butcherd meat.?????

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Yes Hunter that would have been an easier way. At that age, I just used the yeah I think I can get him in there method. If it didn't work right away I'd use the lift harder push harder method.
    We got him in and roped him off from the front though. It all went pretty good till something happened with the two cars in front of us. I had to slam on the brakes and the steer stretched the rope and his head was right between us. I swerved to the right and the steer kissed me. I swerved back left and he bounced off my buddy. I thought for a second he was going through the windsheild. After that, everything went OK.
    LOL...I hear ya....the thing we do as we attempt to grow up.

Couple of us were heading out to the saloon on a Fri. night ...hit a deer along the road......thought is was dead.

Loaded it in the trunk...gonna take it to one of the guys barn.......and clean and hang it up.

Came to...I guess,..... and was kicking the crap out of the inside of the trunk on his '57 Chevy....
    Backed the car up to the tractor shed,... pulled the folding door down....turned the key on the trunk......deer came flying out and squirted out the little triangle of light when the back window meets the trunk.

3 bounds and gone......

Sometimes things seem like a good idea....at the time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter, I can imagine. Those things can get lively in a hurry. I'm sure there were three sets of big eyeballs that night. I bet it didn't do the trunk any good either.
    I almost had that happen to me. I had a van so I threw the deer I hit in the back. Down the road he started kicking. I know my eyes got big when I looked at my friend and said, "grab the wheel". I jumped in back and grabbed the first heavy thing I could find and put him back down. I had no desire to be a casulty of a deer jumping around inside with me inside with him.
    Lowkey I think I did keep the chops....don't really recall anymore. I do remember thinking that it wasn't anything like a deer to skin, cut up and debone. It took me a lot longer than I expected and after deboning I was ready to just run it over to the butcher and have him grind it up. I wanted to separate the inside hind leg muscle from the outside and the middle but they wouldn't separate like a deer. He was on the thin side too. So, I decided get er done.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So I suppose that hanging up a dead cow in the yard on the tractor with the bucket.....would be looked at kinda weird?
    Calls made.....LOL...No one would mess with you.
    Remember to use vegetable oil for the chain on the chain saw.
    No I used to hang the deer out front gutted with a small stone "RIP Bambi" as the school bus went by.....

Here is what it might look like.....

“There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Hunter, I can imagine. Those things can get lively in a hurry. I'm sure there were three sets of big eyeballs that night. I bet it didn't do the trunk any good either.
    I almost had that happen to me. I had a van so I threw the deer I hit in the back. Down the road he started kicking. I know my eyes got big when I looked at my friend and said, "grab the wheel". I jumped in back and grabbed the first heavy thing I could find and put him back down. I had no desire to be a casulty of a deer jumping around inside with me inside with him.
    Lowkey I think I did keep the chops....don't really recall anymore. I do remember thinking that it wasn't anything like a deer to skin, cut up and debone. It took me a lot longer than I expected and after deboning I was ready to just run it over to the butcher and have him grind it up. I wanted to separate the inside hind leg muscle from the outside and the middle but they wouldn't separate like a deer. He was on the thin side too. So, I decided get er done.
    My youngest sister did this at 16, only she didn't put it in the trunk, but in the back seat of a four door car, turned around headed home. Halfway there, it came too and was kicking the heck out of the back of the driver seat. She did NOT stop until she got home. slipped out her door, yelled for dad to bring his gun. Deer had a broken leg and wasn't going to run too far, but she did not open the door until he had his sights set on the deer. I think she was crazy, and good this it was ONLY a button buck......
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Yes Nell, I think she had a little luck on her side. I can imagine a bigger deer without broken legs jumping around in the front seat while she just barely has time to slam on the breaks and dive out while the car slowly rolls into the ditch. She just might get out without getting kicked if she was quick. I bet she would have been quick too if a deer was jumping around close to her.
    I used to feel like the guy that keeps getting struck by lightning with hitting deer. I've always been a very slow driver, I knew the areas to be careful of the deer, I knew when one passed in front of you that you have to look for the second one....I still hit them. More often they run into me.
    One night about working at night about 2-3 hours before daylight, driving home, tired, near the airport, nobody on the road, a deer run into my mirror on my side then off the front. Maybe I went over him. I don't know. I went down the road trying to decide what to do. I went back and the deer was in the road with it's head up and before I made a decision it took off. That suited me just fine. I was too tired to mess with it. I went down the road, turned around and on my way though the little one ran into my fender, spun around in front of me, hobbled a bit and run off too. I had the van stopped again and I thought WTH. I was glad to get going without any extra work. Since I was going so slow I just got a broken mirror and a couple dents. They thinned the herd out since those days. It's a bit like, if you want another deer, you buy another license. Haven't hit one in quite a few years.

My wife is attempting to talk me out of it...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I am trying to decide whether is it worth it. Online I found I can buy half a cow for about $1,100, which after processing will yield me about 150lbs of meat, coming out to about $7.30 a pound.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-24-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Removed spam

I'd go for it. That's a bargain in Istanbul.

Man! I wonder how many hundred pounds of soup bone you get with the meat?

Alan