Thread: For Beginners

Default For Beginners

I'm fairly new to this survival stuff. I'm doing more outdoors stuff lately so I want to build up my survival skills. I've got 2 questions.

1. What would be a good book to get started with? I've seen a few listed, just wondering if there's a GOOD one I should start with in particular.

2. Does anyone know if there are any kind of survival classes or training in my area? I'm in Vegas.

Thanks in advance.
    Survival Skill - Personal Outdoors Survival Blog and Resources
    Nevada Carry - Nevada Concealed Carry Information and Resources

Ive read a lot of survival books and I would honestly say that Tom Brown's Books are really good because they cover a lot of bases from just the simple basics to the skills needed to survive a year or more off the grid. Im not saying its the best (and I honestly take a lot of his stuff with a tiny grain of salt) but it does do a really good job at teaching you and getting you prepared. Sorry I dont know any schools in that area though.

Hello there, you might want to check out BOSS (Boulder Outdoor Survival Scool), most of their classes are held in southern Utah, pretty close to Vegas.

They offer basic skills courses on up.

http://www.boss-inc.com/08front.html

Thanks, I'll check his books out. And thanks for the training tip. Southern Utah would definitely be doable. I'll check them out.

Blog Entries

Cool Here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaCarry View Post
    I'm fairly new to this survival stuff. I'm doing more outdoors stuff lately so I want to build up my survival skills. I've got 2 questions.

1. What would be a good book to get started with? I've seen a few listed, just wondering if there's a GOOD one I should start with in particular.

2. Does anyone know if there are any kind of survival classes or training in my area? I'm in Vegas.

Thanks in advance.
    I can't stress this enough; go to Amazon & order a copy of Cody Lundin's book: "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your A*s Alive. He also list the information about how to contact his survival school in Prescott Arizona. This book is a great start-up book and should be in everybody;s survival library. Also you can go to his web-site (I posted it in "I need a survival expert" thread) and order top quality Swedish Mora knives for under $20 apiece as well as fire drill & bow sets.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Sarge, I'll be ordering that today! You gotta love that title! haha

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Web-site.

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaCarry View Post
    Thanks Sarge, I'll be ordering that today! You gotta love that title! haha
    Here's that web-site address again: www.alssadventures.com.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin