Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Alone Season 2 on History Channel

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    Who said anything about letting her have a bikini?

(And for the record, I was ~22 at the time. I only rarely manage to get dates with 19 year olds anymore.)
    Me either...nor do I really want one....

Kinda whiney about cell coverage, ...I can't stand rap music, an my idea of "sensuous"...is "since-you-was" up, get me another Brewski....that doesn't translate well.
    Oh yeah, pacemaker batteries are kinda pricy
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not that I wouldn't use the tarp, but I'd have it between two layers of thatch; inside for insulation and to shed any water that gets through if the tarp is damaged, and outside to protect it from hail, falling branches, etc. and keep it from flapping in the wind. Using "safe" stuff like pine needles for the outer thatch means you can still catch water from it too.
    That is what I was trying to say.... you just said it better.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Another thing I've noticed is putting on the coat and such, then wading into waist deep water.
    Maybe it's just modesty in front of the cameras, but even then, just wearing underwear in the water at least keeps the rest of the clothes dry, and all of that warmth is lost in the water anyway unless you happen to be wearing a wet suit. Shuck 'em, work fast, and dress as soon as you can shake off most of the water.

Another thing I've noticed is putting on the coat and such, then wading into waist deep water.
    Maybe it's just modesty in front of the cameras, but even then, just wearing underwear in the water at least keeps the rest of the clothes dry, and all of that warmth is lost in the water anyway unless you happen to be wearing a wet suit. Shuck 'em, work fast, and dress as soon as you can shake off most of the water.
    Yea...what's up with that nonsense anyway?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Yea...what's up with that nonsense anyway?
    Maybe I'm just used to caving wisdom; in natural cave, you strip to swim to minimize the amount of mud or dust from your clothes that gets in the water, and (if anything's still remotely dry anyway) to keep them from getting even more soaked. Obviously you're still going to have mud on you, but what sticks to your skin is a lot less than what's ground into your clothes after even a short crawl. Modesty is a concept for comfortable situations. When anything starts getting extreme, you need to be ready to accept that nudity is the more effective way to do some things. (Like short trips out of the shelter in pouring rain...especially potty trips where you're going to spend even more time trying to get the rainsuit open so you can pee.)

Yes, on everything.

Except this
    to minimize the amount of mud or dust from your clothes that gets in the water, and (if anything's still remotely dry anyway) to keep them from getting even more soaked. Obviously you're still going to have mud on you, but what sticks to your skin is a lot less than what's ground into your clothes after even a short crawl
    I don't know what's going on here. I think you're talking about something I don't know about. And what's caving?

Do you mean underwater cave exploring? You can't let clouds of dirt be in the water because you can't see, etc? (just had that thought as soon as I posted)
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-24-2016 at 06:55 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

By wearing a coat it looks like Jose kept his upper core warm. The producers put time lines on the screen and this note ( hypothermia will set in after 50 minutes of exposure to the water ). He was in the water for over 2 hours. I am sure he had a way to dry out his wet clothing. If he would have had even the start of hypothermia setting in he would have been still shivering 4 or 5 hours later. Seeing him eating a couple hours later with chop sticks without even a tremor convinced me he did the right thing.

................ When anything starts getting extreme, you need to be ready to accept that nudity is the more effective way to do some things. (Like short trips out of the shelter in pouring rain...especially potty trips where you're going to spend even more time trying to get the rainsuit open so you can pee.)
    Ever notice that you don't get cold..... till after to finish?......Just thought It would bring that up.

Oh yeah, pee jug is a good idea.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Do you mean underwater cave exploring? You can't let clouds of dirt be in the water because you can't see, etc? (just had that thought as soon as I posted)
    Underwater caving is a whole different critter. I'm talking about regular caves where you'll be crawling through the dirt, then come to a place where you have to cross clear water. It's less about visibility than just about not wanting to contaminate water deep in the cave with an assortment of dirt from the entrance on in.

I don't think this pool actually blocks the passage, but it's not uncommon for a swim to be the least damaging way to cross an area with a lot of delicate formations. This is Lechuguilla Cave in New Mexico, 130 miles of passages mapped so far, 1600' deep, and kept pretty wild by limited access, (and a 90' entrance drop) so contaminating a pool with dirt from other areas of the cave could be a huge loss, to the research potential if nothing else. There's a huge amount of microbiological research being done there due to the remoteness of the cave and some really interesting bacteria feeding on various minerals in the deeper parts.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

...130 miles of passages mapped so far...freaking wow.

- William Arthur Ward

And to think that the oil from your fingertip can stop a stalagmite from growing. Something that has been in the works hundreds or thousands of years stopped in its tracking by a single touch.

Kind of like when Betty Sue........oops......never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And to think that the oil from your fingertip can stop a stalagmite from growing. Something that has been in the works hundreds or thousands of years stopped in its tracking by a single touch.
    Won't really stop it, but definitely can change the way it grows. IIRC, there's somewhere that has an accelerated process (unintentional, but created by acidic water seeping through concrete like the ones under the Lincoln Memorial) where they've been able to document the effect on formations growing at ~1/4" a year or so, and it can leave a mark or change the growth pattern to be lopsided.

The effectively closed microbiological environments are much more fragile, educational, and potentially useful than the rock formations in most cases, though.

After watching 5 episodes, I wish they show more scenes with survival skills being display rather than just showing them talking about their state of mind. I enjoy watching them do small tasks. I hope the later episodes will display more of it. But so far, I am enjoying the show. I'm rooting for Nicole and Justin. I like their attitudes. But I think Jose and Mike are the top contenders. If I could change one thing about this show, I would remove gillnets from the list of possible items you can take. Fishing lines and hooks are allow but no gillnets. Of course you can construct your own gillnets from material found. Gillnets just make things too easy and doesn't challenge the contestants to be creative and demonstrate their adaptability.

Quote Originally Posted by kaze View Post
    If I could change one thing about this show, I would remove gillnets from the list of possible items you can take. .
    Good idea but take it a step farther and also remove Ferro Rods/ Lighters. It would quickly weed out the Utube survival expert by day and Hilton resident by night.

I guess that's what's coming next - something somewhere between the Naked & Afraid concept and the Alone concept.

- William Arthur Ward

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Removing the fire making gear is not the separation of the wannabes from the experts. Any true woodsman is going to have fire making gear with them every time they walk out the door. Not having ferro rod or lighter would be the indication that they did not know what they were doing.

As for the gill nets, well they were probably in use by primitive people before fishhooks were thought of. They are used by every culture that eats fish so why remove a key article used worldwide? Anyone entering that ecosphere and facing a possible survival situation would have a gill net in their gear.

I think you guys just enjoy seeing people suffer.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Keep in mind what this show is. It is called alone for a reason. It is a show about being alone and isolated in the wilderness in conditions that make daily living difficult. It is not a show to demonstrate to the public ways of doing various aspects of bushcraft or wilderness survival.....although we get to see quite a few aspects of that. Being alone, truly alone for extended periods of time is what most people have not experienced.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    As for the gill nets, well they were probably in use by primitive people before fishhooks were thought of. They are used by every culture that eats fish so why remove a key article used worldwide? Anyone entering that ecosphere and facing a possible survival situation would have a gill net in their gear.

I think you guys just enjoy seeing people suffer.
    I'm not saying you can't use gillnets, you just can't bring one with you. Look at Justin, he's making his own gillnet. That's demonstrate his knowledge and adaptability. No one wants them to suffer, hence why they are permitted with fishing strings and hooks which can easily catch fish using many forms of fishing techniques. If you look at many tribes around the world, rarely do they have gillnets, most construct fishing traps with natural materials like fish baskets. They would use spears or harpoons to fish. Gillnets are mainly use by commercial fishermen. That's why in many parts of United States, they don't permit the use of gillnets for fishing by regular citizens. It's too effective and hurt the fish population. If you're argument is that gillnets are used around the world for many centuries, then should we let them all have fishing boats too? At the same time you argue for ferro rods which is a modern invention. Should we give them all flint and steel instead? Of course not, because that would make things way too hard. Likewise, gillnets makes things way too easy for these so-called "experts". Notice how most contestants rely heavily on their gillnets. The show is basically about sitting and waiting in their make-shift shelter and let the gillnets do all the work. Imagine if they don't have their gillnets? They would have to use their skill and knowledge to make one or another forms of fishing traps. Actually forces these expert contestants to use their skillsets to compete. Any regular joe can just set a gillnets and catch food . I don't think this show is about that. It's about surviving the longest with your skills as a survivalist against other survivalist entirely alone. It's a more entertaining show if they are actually require to put some effort into catching their meals. That's why I was happy when Alan won last season, he was the only one who actually made his own fish traps. The water bottle fish trap was brilliant.
    Last edited by kaze; 05-26-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    More to the point, they use up a massive amount of cordage. While so far, it seems like everybody's found plenty, that's hardly guaranteed, (unless the producers occasionally toss something on the beach to keep it even, which is a definite possibility) so you'd need to let them take a lot more cordage than the list currently allows for in order to make building nets a reasonable expectation.

Personally, yes, I'd take one so I could get one in the water right away, but then I'd also dedicate a good bit of any found small cordage to making more. Keeping busy until the weather gets too bad to be out and around seems to be a key to not getting too focused on what you're missing out on back home. Laying in food right before winter means you can stay warm and dry while working on indoor projects when outdoor ones are too risky.