Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Alone Season 2 on History Channel

If Jose eats red tide mussels and gets sick I give the heck up on trying to understand any of this. All bets are off if I see that crap happen. Anything's possible then.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Well. for those without cable access Nichole is gone.

She used up all the available resources, the seals trashed her nets and she never developed line fishing skills, and the salmon run ended, all her veggies froze and she was missing her kids.

Still, she made it for 58 days, which was two days longer than Allan had to endure last season to win!

And she did it while coping with MS.

Quite a girl and one I would be proud to share a campfire with.

Jose ate the red tide mussels and apparently lived.

Larry is still there, doing a lot of crying now. After 58 days he has about decided that being an electrician with a warm house, table full of food and a tolerant wife is not such a bad deal. However, I think he may require some intense therapy before he returns to society. He is going to have flashbacks and nightmares for a while.

Dave is plodding along. I think he is eating better than the rest.

All of them are spending a great deal of time trying to stay warm and all of the are talking a lot about tapping out.

That amuses me some. Half have tapped out because they were accomplishing nothing, the other half because they had accomplished what they intended. Searching for truth, inner peace, their purpose in life, their reason for existence.

Did anyone really go out there with the goal of staying longer than anyone, outlasting everyone in the heard and having a will to win?

Have even the survivors lowered themselves to the point where a participation trophy is enough?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sad to see Nicole tap, but I'm surprise she didn't attempt to catch fish with lines or trap those ducks that keeps wandering by her camp. But I knew missing her kids will eventually do her in.

Jose looks like he's about to reach his limit too. Him realizing his wife is the most important prize reminds me of why Mike tap out earlier. I guess a single person would have a clear advantage in situation like this.

I can't believe Larry's still in it. I thought for sure he's tapping this episode but guess he's not willing to go back to his old life yet no matter how much he is sick of the area. I'm glad he realize how fortunate he is of his wife. I do hope he treats her better when he gets home.

David is the clear favorite to win this contest. When he started this contest he was clear about his goal of winning the money. He's the only one who talks about how much that money could do for him and his kids. That's why I don't think he'll tap. And now that he knows how to catch food, he will outlast the others.

Did anyone really go out there with the goal of staying longer than anyone, outlasting everyone in the heard and having a will to win?
    Heh...yea...whadup widat?

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Heh...yea...whadup widat?
    What a concept, Huh?.....
    Like we haven't heard this before.....same as "Survivor"....except a drab, wet whinny, bear ridden area of operations.
    No hot chicks in bikinis.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think David looks the strongest right now. Jose showed signs that he could tap at any time and Larry probably hung himself if they didn't come in the next couple days and tell him he won.

I'm thinking the toughest part is Not knowing what is going on, or when it is over.....without a specific end date.
    That also has to be one of the toughest parts of any "for real" survival situation.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroHunter View Post
    I think David looks the strongest right now. Jose showed signs that he could tap at any time and Larry probably hung himself if they didn't come in the next couple days and tell him he won.
    keep in mind the editors "create" a few minutes of the drama from countless hours of recording in order to keep the audience watching. I think Larry will win because they have portrayed him as being so hotheaded.

I would like to see David or Jose win but without seeing all the unedited footage its hard to say my feelings have not been biased...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I'm thinking the toughest part is Not knowing what is going on, or when it is over.....without a specific end date.
    That also has to be one of the toughest parts of any "for real" survival situation.
    That's why you go out there to stay. To "win"...a bunch of money. Not whine about stuff. You go out there to outlast everyone else, therefore you set up for a long haul without ever fussing over how long it might be or wondering how the others are doing. You don't even think about it. You don't expect to do it for a certain finite length of time. You have to want to be there. To like being there. Sheesh...they get to a point and say "I've accomplished surviving" when all they're talking about is having some success with water and food and sleeping; They get to that point and say "I've done what I've come out here to do", and get so bored and lonely. No, you haven't done what you went out there to do. You went out there to outlast others. Der. Get off your arse and stop being so bored. You create your own boredom or interest. My goodness, if I were doing good enough to still be there and halfway healthy after a month or so, I'd move on to building my own freaking village or something. Sculptures. Totem poles. A real dwelling. A real cooking setup. Musical instruments. Exploring some and taking that chance to appreciate where I am and enjoy it. Heck before any of that a lot could be done just upgrading my various food-getting procedures. And it wouldn't be a chore, it'd be fun...some of these folks think of it as a dreaded chore, and that's a problem. Per the quote at the beginning of this last episode, you succeed when you find meaning or purpose in the work or suffering. Inactivity and boredom and the feeling of pointlessness just wouldn't ever come up. I just don't understand that jazz.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 07-09-2016 at 04:49 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

I would have a real problem being on that show. What if you sneeze? No one to bless you. High fives are impossible. Tug of war? Yeah, right. I mean, come on, they don't even have a volleyball.

If they did one of these in the south it would be no problem.

If you sneezed the whole woods would simply echo "bless your little heart".

I don't know why, seems it just happens down here as part of the whole southern deal.

Of course it might have a different connotation than what the mere words imply, but that is part of the culture too.

I once sat in a meeting in which a peer manager bragged about some accomplishment to another manager who happened to be a gal of the south. She looked the bragging manager straight in the eye and said, "That's so nice. That's so very, very nice," and went on with her day. It's hard to have a rebuttal when you are trying to figure out if you've just been complimented or rebuked. Yeah, I know,

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    If Jose eats red tide mussels and gets sick I give the heck up on trying to understand any of this. All bets are off if I see that crap happen. Anything's possible then.
    Well, now that I seen the episode...they weren't exposed to red tide anyway, else good boiling takes care of it.

- William Arthur Ward

The red tide there is caused from algae bloom and can not be eliminated by boiling. It just wasn't strong enough to affect him even though the warnings were still in place. It can have an accumulated effect over time also. Botulism can be safe with boiling if you eat right away. When boiled and canned it can reappear due to the spores which were never killed by simple boiling. At least that's what I've read about it.

The deal with Botulism is that you can kill the toxin by boiling, but not the organism itself, which continues to produce toxin.

Depending on the conditions and source, it can take up to 10 days for the spores to again generate enough toxin for symptoms to be evident.

He could actually win, go home, then die from botulism weeks latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    keep in mind the editors "create" a few minutes of the drama from countless hours of recording in order to keep the audience watching. I think Larry will win because they have portrayed him as being so hotheaded.

I would like to see David or Jose win but without seeing all the unedited footage its hard to say my feelings have not been biased...
    Good point. I've watched a few of Larry's Youtube videos and if I had never watched Alone, I would not of imagined him being so hot headed. It is pretty much up to how the editors want to portray each person I guess. I do think Jose could stay there as long as he wanted to, David WANTS to win the money and is eating good so he could stay a while longer. Larry has the skills if he just don't let the mental aspect of it take him out.......

Nichole quite because she ran out of food. She had it fairly easy for the first part in the food area. Yes, a lot of that was from her experience. She knew the plants. I don't think she really thought about winter and the lack of green stuff. I also don't think she was thinking much of what to do after the salmon stopped running. I think David is the opposite. He didn't really capitalize on the plants and had a really hard time finding food. That forced him to find other food sources. I think his food sources are more winter proof and so he should be finding food in the future a little easier.
    Nichole has been amazing though. She didn't run from the bears and really showed her knowledge and skill. Any real woman has that strong maternal draw to nurture her kids. She is definitely a real woman, and was able to push on as long as she did.

I really don't think Larry is going to win. I still think Jose can pull it off, but I don't know if he is going to. David is definitely looking the strongest right now.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

So who's betting on a new location for next season now that all possible contestants have seen David's crabbing luck?

Also seems like crabs would keep better; you could make a cage to keep them alive indefinitely, build up a week's food supply that way and focus on other things like scouting for more resources or improving the camp without having to be constantly concerned about food. The morale boost of having a guaranteed week of a full belly would be huge, too.

IMO, you just need the ingredients for matzo ball soup; within 5 minutes of starting to make it, a half dozen Jewish mothers will show up to tell you how you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by NightSG; 07-11-2016 at 02:36 PM.

They have already announced that the nest series will be filmed in Patagonia.

You know the place, down in South America on the edges of Chile and Argentina.

That is about as far from Vancouver Island as you can get, and a guarantee that NONE of the American contests can call it their "home range".
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-11-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    IMO, you just need the ingredients for matzo ball soup; within 5 minutes of starting to make it, a half dozen Jewish mothers will show up to tell you how you're doing it wrong.
    Now that is a fact........LOL......Or 5 Italian mothers cooking for you 24/7........