Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Alone Season 2 on History Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Soooo....You are implying that black bears are.........Democ.....(Oh wait that's political)........
    So I'd just need to scatter some job applications around my campsite to keep them away?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Well, it is the afternoon of the day after the broadcast and no one has a comment about last night's episode?

My only comment is that if I ever consider attending the Boulder Survival School someone tie me to a tree here in Kentucky. That bush hippy has no idea how to adapt to a new environment or operate out of his area of expertise. Everyone else on Vancoer Island is dining on salmon and he is rejoicing over the presence of a flat mouse!

And his comment about finally getting in rhythm with the land ??? He has eaten one mouse in 12 days! Is the rhythm of the land starving?

And do none of these people connect the useless burning of calories with wearing clothes? It is cold, wet, 50 degrees and they are on reduced calorie intake, but running around half naked, forcing their bodies to use energy in warming their cells.

And the sniper building a gym??? You have to be kidding! That is time that could be spent improving the shelter, gathering firewood, actively seeking food, building fish traps or any other of a dozen useful activities.

OK preserving mental health is a good thing as is looking at the long term, but building a gym and working out when you do not have a store of food and you are living under a flapping tarp proves your mental health is teetering on the edge to start with!

Thankfully, I did not have to hear about Baaaarb-ra this week.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-20-2016 at 04:14 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I agree the guy that burnt up his fire starter is not working on fishing enough. But he does seem to be building a decent shelter, as well as the safari guide lady.
    They are giving Dave a lot of air time which is usually a bad sign. He seems to be laying around alot. Hopefully he will get his second wind. I have gone 5-7 days without eating several times, not by choice. And about the 3rd or 4th day I would start to adjust to it and be able to do something other than lay around.
    Sniper guy, not sure. Maybe it is a good strategy mentally but I agree he should use that energy for more constructive purposes.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I agree with the above. I still believe that sniper dude is risking a mechanical injury from his shelter location. Adding a playground with Tarzan swing is only going to increase the odds of that becoming a reality.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, sniper guy is just not thinking clearly. The workout should have been done, but, every log lifted should have been brought back for firewood, every stone lifted should have been brought back to reinforce the firepit so it doesn't sink.

(firepits around here sink into the ground because the ground is not really dirt, it's a stack of organic debris, and if you have a fire in one place for a few days, it will sink clear down to the rock unless you refill the pit with rock)

Right now, all the shelters are better shelters than season 1's.

Nicole it doing it right with the continuous improvements. She also made a cot which will help a great deal.

I'm looking forward to the contestants narrowing down so we can get more screen time for those who are better at this game.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Well, it is the afternoon of the day after the broadcast and no one has a comment about last night's episode?

My only comment is that if I ever consider attending the Boulder Survival School someone tie me to a tree here in Kentucky. That bush hippy has no idea how to adapt to a new environment or operate out of his area of expertise. Everyone else on Vancoer Island is dining on salmon and he is rejoicing over the presence of a flat mouse!

And his comment about finally getting in rhythm with the land ??? He has eaten one mouse in 12 days! Is the rhythm of the land starving?

And do none of these people connect the useless burning of calories with wearing clothes? It is cold, wet, 50 degrees and they are on reduced calorie intake, but running around half naked, forcing their bodies to use energy in warming their cells.

And the sniper building a gym??? You have to be kidding! That is time that could be spent improving the shelter, gathering firewood, actively seeking food, building fish traps or any other of a dozen useful activities.

OK preserving mental health is a good thing as is looking at the long term, but building a gym and working out when you do not have a store of food and you are living under a flapping tarp proves your mental health is teetering on the edge to start with!

Thankfully, I did not have to hear about Baaaarb-ra this week.
    Totally agree.

My Take:

Randy- Won't be long on this show I predict. He expends 8-10,000 calories making a shelter that is so flimsy I wouldn't let my horse in there much less keeping it warm. Man if you are going to do something DO IT RIGHT.

Justin- Are you freakin kidding me with setting up a gym. Running back to his shelter because of the storm and then complaining "because of the storm" he wont be able to get food today. Justin your brain won't starve for food because it will cannibalize all that pretty muscle you are trying to produce.

David- The real reason you haven't had money so your family can live better is your a LAZY ***. If your going to lay around Do it with a fishing pole in your hands. You catch a fish you then put the hook back in the water for another. No thoughts for the future with this guy ( no wait he is a post-apocalyptic fiction writer. oh my bad)

Nicole- Good on you girl you just stepped up a couple notches in my book. Shelter OK, Your caution when cutting up the fish. Well done.

Jose- Doin what it takes to take care of business. He has been the only one so far to address stock piling reserves for the winter

You are starting to see the Characters set themselves up for after the show win or lose.
    Justin-gym franchise
    David- He is going to write a book
    Nicole- Poster girl for a MS or Cancer charity
    Randy- Instruction manuals on (how to build a shelter and how to catch a fish) He is working on the how to now by trial and error.
    Jose- Like Sam (season1) said: he could do beer commercials Dos Equis they do need a new Spanish front man.
    Mike- Anything that will make Barbara proud of him
    Larry- Anger management classes

I only just now got to watch it myself. I have to wait till history unlocks it the day after on their site.

I love that quote by gandhi - Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Justin - Well, he's just a kid having fun out there. Or maybe he's trying to be entertaining for the viewers. Making sure people remember him. But, yes, a gym? When you're living such a physically active lifestyle, you don't need a gym. That life is a gym. That environment is a gym. Every log and stone moved for survival purposes, not making a playground, is a workout. The place is already a playground...is already "fun", as far as I would be concerned. As far as it isn't a life-or-death chore. But maybe he's just loosening up, and we'll see him kick butt later. Maybe he's so ok out there, and we don't know it, that he thinks that he just doesn't have to worry so much. Maybe the very fact that he runs around in shorts and makes tarzan swings, and is still in good spirits, is because he is on a different energy level and this stuff just isn't a big deal to him. Compared to David just bending over and standing up...and getting a head rush or dizzy. I do find myself wondering how a big metal chain washed up onto a beach...hehe. And a pull up bar? There're no tree limbs already at the right height and angle for doing pull ups?

And you know what? Being able to piss in the middle of the night without leaving shelter, for having a fancy kelp urinal, might be kinda comfy.

David - If you don't want to be the dad who says no for being broke, then get up and get some food. But this is why I think this stuff being on a t.v. show...there being cameras...taints it some. He can comment on all this stuff on camera, but not get to work...if the camera wasn't there, if you weren't aware of the camera, would you behave differently? Per my thread on the subject, can they design these things differently to take away some of that effect? He reflects on camera that he wants to do well. But he doesn't do so...so far at least. And we know that he can.

Nicole, those bears are keeping an eye on you and your fish. Better change things up in some way girlfriend. But, you did get a big ole fish. I was surprised that it was still there.

Randy - I'm glad that he seems to have a certain attitude. He decided to not whine about his firestarter, and he got to work. Homeboy made a full fledged log cabin style house (kinda sorta). And that fire was still there...without a firestarter. I think that Nicole's log-ish shelter is kinda nifty though too.

And man...*blank* a mouse. A darned ole flattened mouse. Takes more calories just to look at it than you get. *blank* a little mouse, Sam. Go get some food, guys. You know how. And you can. So do it.

Btw, seeing the storms out there...my god, that's so exhiliarating. I'd love it so much. I've been there at least enough to know. I know this is supposed to be tough, and it is, but some things a person just knows about themself. Mmmm.

Jose, what can I say 'bout him. Keep on trucking brother. Gettin er done. He says "It's raining hard. But I'm eating salmon, so I don't care." And mr. man eats with chop sticks too, yo. Word.

All in all, I feel like we might have almost half a dozen folks lasting quite a while. Might be a long season for history channel. 'Slong as they don't start whining so much about the solitude. Really...I don't get that. I mean...who flipping cares. Again, I myself am not anti social nor introverted...but who cares?! Loneliness? What? What're you talking about?? And if your deal is missing or worrying about your family...it's half a million dollars people! (forgetting the taxes of course) That would be bringing home the bacon. So shut up and man up. Geez. Daddy (or momma) gets to do something awesome, and bring home some real money. C'mon. Sorry, but I can say this - even with my ignorance and inexperience, I would kick this show's butt. (Assuming that in reality, I'd crash course myself in certain things if I knew I was going to do it.) Remember...this is t.v. for people who don't really know what's up - I mentioned this topic in a casual gathering, and the first response I got was bear grylls. Oh yea, just like bear grylls. I love him. Wilderness survival just like bear grylls, right? Yea, right. The guy who creates sensationalism out of drinking your own pee to survive.

And...um...hehe...your mamma talks too much.

Respectfully.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-20-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

From what I've seen so far every one of them have very poor knife skills, as in they are trying to hurt themselves

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    And you know what? Being able to piss in the middle of the night without leaving shelter, for having a fancy kelp urinal, might be kinda comfy.
    Having crawled out of a sleeping bag kept very toasty by a (literally) hot little platinum blonde to do what is necessary after doing certain other things, only to find a heavy layer of frost on the inside of the tent, I would really like to have found a bottle. Sticking it out the tent flap only to have it come back in of its own accord isn't fun at all, especially when one is damp with sweat and trying not to open the tent any more than absolutely necessary due to the painfully cold draft.
    OTOH, at least on the show I wouldn't have had to stand there in the cold debating between risking the embarrassment of her waking up when I got back in the bag and commenting on the shrinkage, or getting dressed and heading back to my own campsite.
    Or does that "any resources that wash up on the beach" include 19 year old beach bunnies?

What channel was that on?

Same one that carries.........

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That show is on CBS on Wednesday nights.......and just wrapped up with a million dollar winner.....

I have watched "Survivor" since the beginning.....so y'all can guffaw and watch the whining in the rain...I stick with the beach bunnies in bikinis.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ricardo Montalban. Just wasn't enough of him in serious roles. Was always too cool.

- William Arthur Ward

That show is on CBS on Wednesday nights.......and just wrapped up with a million dollar winner.....

I have watched "Survivor" since the beginning.....so y'all can guffaw and watch the whining in the rain...I stick with the beach bunnies in bikinis.....
    There's still hope for us. The 71 year old guy went pretty far. Guess he didn't get the memo about getting voted out early and then sipping cold ones at the resort for the next month.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I didn't get to see it until Saturday, and then now is the first chance I have had to comment.

Jose finally got some air time, but only for a few minutes. He looks like he is rockin' it though. With the amount of air time that he is getting, and how well he seems to be fairing, my guess right now is that he wins it.

Randy does look weak. He isn't eating much, and his shelter doesn't look well thought out. Maybe he is only used to small trees in Southern Utah. But, like you said, that means he doesn't adapt well, which really is what survival is about... how fast can you adapt. But, I am impressed with how well he is doing. He fixed his fire problem instead of quitting...like someone else. He is trying to figure it out.

Nicole has been impressive, especially with her massive shelter.

But, I still haven't seen any decent roofs. They all just use the tarps. No one is mixing the tarps with building materials to make a roof that doesn't have to be tied out and one that can take heavy wind. Also, they need more thickness in the roof for insulation.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I would like to see more from Mike, he had a nice camp site, goals, and skills. But he is always complaining about being away from his wife, I think he will tap out

I would like to see more innovations on this show. Like a smoker or a stove, hypocaust, sauna, lobster/fish traps, etc. Other than some work on shelters no one seems to be storing goods (whether it be plants or meat) for the winter ahead. Other than David making a needle and a gill net (which was good) but it would have been easier to make a gill net with the tie method instead of the weave. Also very little rock work done?
    I guess no one plans to be there very long.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    ...I still haven't seen any decent roofs. They all just use the tarps...
    I keep having similar thoughts when I watch these things. About the tarps and roofs, and about the gill nets and hooks/lines.

It's good to not scorn any tools or technology when you're camping or in a real survival situation...unless you're specifically trying to be minimalistic or primitive for whatever reason. However, when you're doing something like the show Alone, it's just another thing about how participants do things that seems odd or not befitting because 1) you're competing, trying to outlast, and I'd find it easy to build a roof with natural material and then have the tarp for other things. And 2) these are people who're supposed to know about this stuff and be capable, and relying on a tarp for rain-shedding suggests that you don't know how to do it otherwise as well as not seeing how useful the tarp is for other things when you don't need it for a roof anyway, or you're just not understanding the situation, not taking it seriously, and being lazy.

I feel similarly about gill nets and hooks and lines. I'd use those things, but I wouldn't have the attitude that they're my only lifeline - like the difference between crying and giving up because your firestarter is gone, and knowing how to do it another way and continuing. If you're lucky enough, or good enough, that they're working at a particular time for fishing, then fine. But otherwise when it takes so much time and effort sometimes to obtain sustenance, fish trap baskets and modifying the shore for trapping is just so darned easy to craft. And I'd do that stuff simply to place my bets on multiple spots on the table so that no matter where that roulette ball lands, I've got some darned food. And really in some respects I consider that easier and more efficient than messing around with a net or lines and hooks.

I'd almost prefer using these other methods of fishing, instead of the net or hooks. Not immediately, but eventually, for any kind of long term by any definition, and especially when doing an Alone competition. Just like with a tarp roof - I'd immediately put together a decent debris hut which incorporated the tarp, because the whole purpose of a first debris hut is to have something ample as quick as you can (and definitely not just stringing up the tarp and stopping there, ugh). But as soon as that was done I'd already be starting on something that takes more time but would be much more life-sustaining and for a longer stay...warm, dry, stable against storms, some degree of protection from various critters...and this very simply just does not require a tarp. Additionally, a tarp isn't really that good anyway. Even incorporating it brings drawbacks, so I'd just not use it at all. If a tarp was useless for anything else, that'd be a different story. But that's not the case.

To be fair, these people haven't been there that long yet. Remember how a day can go by fast without doing much when hunger and thirst and lack of good sleep tries to prevail - when you're not screwing around building pull up bars and tarzan swings, that is. But it still makes me want to repeat some observations:

-- They get people for these shows who're supposed to be capable in these areas (or should be). But we keep seeing that usually they just aren't - not because it's harder than we know and it's easy to say so from our armchairs, but we observe them not even trying in the first place. They don't even try to do the simplest and basic things. Or they have the most disappointing attitudes - crybaby, spoiled, drama queen attitudes. I seem to see the perpetuated belief that being an 'outdoorsy' person, living on a farm, being a weekend camper or a hunter, etc...equates to having any sense or capability when it comes to primitive wilderness survival scenarios. And this belief is just plain false. They might have more points in their favor than an urbanite who freaks out at the sight of a bug 5 feet away or being the slightest bit inconvenienced outside of their modern climate control and doesn't know the first thing about animals or dirt or fire, etc...but this is very far and away from what it takes and from the criteria that I'd use to vet a participant in such a thing.

-- Apparently "primitive skills" really are more uncommon and fleeting, and more misunderstood, than one may assume. Being a minimalistic camper, or a hunter, or living on a farm...is not "primitive skills". No matter how much we can say that the word/concept "primitive" is relative...being completely helpless without your bic lighter or fire starter, or not knowing how to build a shelter in the woods without a tarp, or not trying to fish without a net and hooks and lines, when you're in a long term survival situation or doing so for an Alone competition, is a lack of primitive skills ability. You can live on a farm, hunt squirrels or bears, live off the grid...and still be an inept babe as much as the urbanite if put into something like Alone.

-- How people define the term 'common sense' can be vague, arbitrary, and inconsistent. But I'm going to use that term here to mean a certain thing. Knowledge and intelligence are two very different things. It's a difference between data, and thinking. And having some experience or exposure never did intrinsically imply that a person has any sense or ability. Having knowledge, and having experiential knowledge, is definitely a good thing, not to be scorned by any means. But this does very little good if you don't have a certain attitude, maturity, and predisposition...if you aren't able to be creative, improvisational, and positive/optimistic, despite your knowledge and even with a lack of it. And in these ways, I'm saying that the real ingredient is having some sense - having a creative ability, being able to figure something out, and naturally not having any latent defeatist tendencies waiting for an excuse to come out whenever pretenses of comfort or image are gone. Having some real sense is understanding what's going on underneath the various methods and techniques of minimalistic or primitive survival, so that you can figure out something else and make it work whenever you have to step outside of your simple knowledge base because conditions aren't as they'd be in a controlled demonstration, or your usual tools or techniques that you're proficient with aren't available.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-23-2016 at 04:42 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

I stick with the beach bunnies in bikinis.....
    Who said anything about letting her have a bikini?

(And for the record, I was ~22 at the time. I only rarely manage to get dates with 19 year olds anymore.)

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    But, I still haven't seen any decent roofs. They all just use the tarps. No one is mixing the tarps with building materials to make a roof that doesn't have to be tied out and one that can take heavy wind. Also, they need more thickness in the roof for insulation.
    Not that I wouldn't use the tarp, but I'd have it between two layers of thatch; inside for insulation and to shed any water that gets through if the tarp is damaged, and outside to protect it from hail, falling branches, etc. and keep it from flapping in the wind. Using "safe" stuff like pine needles for the outer thatch means you can still catch water from it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylumn View Post
    Also very little rock work done?
    I'd hold off the sculpture garden until after the heated pool is done.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    And I'd do that stuff simply to place my bets on multiple spots on the table so that no matter where that roulette ball lands, I've got some darned food. And really in some respects I consider that easier and more efficient than messing around with a net or lines and hooks.
    Nets can also be used for land hunting, so I'd probably want at least a couple, though I don't think multiples would be a first-week priority. The big benefit of gill net fishing is that it's very low maintenance unless it gets damaged; you just set it up and then go get the food out of it daily. No resetting a deadfall or having to sit and watch for game to wander by.