Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alone Season 2 on History Channel

Default Alone Season 2 on History Channel

I see Alone Season 2 is coming up soon. They just aired Alone: Making the Cut which is Season 2 episode 0, and season 2 episode 1 airs April 21.

Location looks to be the same as before.

It Will be interesting to see what people learned from the first season.

It looks like the 10 item gear list most of them picked were fairly similar.

All but one chose emergency rations. All but one chose the gill net. Though he took a hammock which he claims he can use as a gill net.

A couple chose 2 sets of emergency rations packs.

Will be interesting see how these 10 do.

I would be so tempted to forgo the emergency rations to take extra tools to help gather food.

Ooh, can't wait can't wait. Is a poor substitute for being able to do more myself...but a vicarious substitute nonetheless.

I have to admit - I would be tempted to opt for some extra emergency rations myself. Whatever I'd sacrifice for it I'd surely miss, but my reasoning is that in the very beginning you have to achieve so much, and you can see on most of these shows that what kills them and tries to sabotage the rest of their time is that they run out of energy and good mood early, and that makes it such a struggle to do the basic things that they either still haven't done initially or continue to need afterwards. I would just consider betting on the approach that, though I'd be a tool or two short, I am able to hustle and get established in that initial way because I have just a little more food and/or water to get me over that hump.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

One of the cast in Season 2 is a member here......although he hasn't posted since 2012.
    Pict....
    Or real name Dave McIntyre
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f....php?1481-Pict

Bio's for cast..
    http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am waiting to see how long it takes for someone to pick an extra tarp and use it completely for water gathering.

Rains 2 days out of three, so wet you can't start a fire with a road flare, but everyone is dehydrating for lack of drinking water when all they have to do is dig a hole and spread a tarp.

I would also like to see someone build a real shelter. No one has done that yet. They throw together an "overnight survival hut" and fight the wildlife until they whine out and go home.

If you are staying in bear/wolf country for the long haul why not take a couple of days to build a real trapper's cabin and use the tarp for a roof instead of the whole shelter. What else do you have to do for the next two months?

I wonder how many of them packed on an extra 20 pounds for this effort? That was what the last winner attributed his success too. An extra 20 pounds will give you 2 weeks mobile food reserve.

I'm good for a month myself.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-16-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I rooting for Dave and think he can make it all the way.

I knew he could do it . WAY TO GO MAC
    Last edited by Mischief; 07-14-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Great to see that Dave is in it. Hope he does well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

looks like a good cast, I hope the editing is better than last year

I hope Mac does well also. Looking forward to the second season.

Ok, for the fun of it and to see if I'm any good at making such a judgement, I looked over things to try and make a prediction of who would do well and who'd drop earlier. But I don't feel that I have much to go on. I won't be able to see the first episode when it's first aired, and I'd want to at least see the first before trying to make any predictions. It seems hard to get much of a read on things just on what I see at history channel's site. So those are my excuses if I'm wrong, which I very easily could be. (I'm too lazy to search for any self-made videos on you tube for more info to factor in.)

With some exceptions, I didn't pay that much attention to what each person chose for their items, and only a little more to their respective experiences or training. But otherwise I really wanted to get a read on their psychologies. Not the appearance of their enthusiasm or confidence, or anything they said necessarily in the vids on history's site, but other nuances between-the-lines.

Initially I wasn't going to try to pick one or two that I thought would go all the way. But instead I wanted to see if I could at least state which few would last a good while, and which few would drop pretty early. But on the seemingly limited info, I ended up "looking too hard" and seeing quite a few things both good and bad about several of them, and decided to instead "make up my mind" and actually try to pick, say, only two which I think would go quite a while - even end up as among the final 3 which go the longest. In the process I did develop an idea of the few who I think will drop pretty early, but I'm not going to list those.

So with all that said, these are the two which I feel at this point will be among those few who go the longest - Justin Vititoe, and Jose Martinez Amoedo. There are a couple of other "maybes", for both longest and early drops, but that's what I'm forcing myself to go with. Now let's see if my guesses are any good...let the games begin.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 04-17-2016 at 05:35 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

Mac will (David) will go far.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alrighty...what would I pick this time around...

1 saw
    1 hunting knife
    1 large (no more than 2 quart) pot, includes lid
    1 slingshot/Catapult
    1 small shovel
    1 flint or ferro rod set
    1 small gauge gill net
    1 multi-seasonal sleeping bag
    2 lbs of rice or sugar and 1 lb of salt
    5 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)

- William Arthur Ward

Btw...seems funny to me that they bother to call the pot a large pot, but then specify 'no more than 2 quarts'. Why put the word 'large' in there?

- William Arthur Ward

I think that a couple of the women might surprise everyone this cycle.

Most of them seem to have their heads screwed on straight......most. I question a few of the choices, but they would be based on my experience, not theirs. Wish them all luck. Maybe the winner lasts a year.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I think that a couple of the women might surprise everyone this cycle.
    Originally I had Nicole Apelian in my prediction as one of those who I thought might go the furthest. But Mary Kate Green as one who I thought would drop out the earliest. But I eventually changed my mind in both cases.

- William Arthur Ward

Arg. I've since went back and watched through season one, out of impatience and some boredom while waiting. I ended up remembering the mindset that might be required to make some kind of prediction for two. Except it still doesn't seem to help. Have so little to go on.

(Btw, notice the one thing common of the two who went the longest, though some thought that they were quite different in their potential - a certain kind of playfulness. While someone might think it's good in the older person, they'll be tempted to assume it's a bad trait for the younger one.)

So I looked back through the bios and vids on history's site a second time. Just a way to challenge myself to derive some fun from it. I feel like what I'm looking for is not basic skills, or just outdoorsy exposure or experience (der). General enthusiasm or optimism seems irrelevant to me as well. I'm not trying to guess who'd do well in the following areas, but instead who would do really well. Who would last a long time. Their emotional longevity. How each person would react to the lows and discouragements. The solitude. How they'll react to some fear or set-backs. And do they want to be there. Will they 'feed off' of the experience, instead of it being a chore or spooky. And who either already understands what the reality will be like versus the idea of it, or will adjust and embrace that reality-check when they run up against it.

And then as soon as I like one of them, they seem to be hair-brained about one of their tools, or careless in how they understand that tool or it's applicability, or the importance of the concern that it would address (again, I don't mean total naivety or lack of experience, but that extra common-sense edge, or attitude edge, that will take them far). Or if I'm doubtful of one, there's that one single undeniable good thing about them glaring at me.

So along with Vititoe & Amoedo, I end up jostling again with others like Apelian, Lowe, Roberts, & Mcintyre.

McIntyre seems very strong in fact, now that I paid more attention with another look-over. But I hesitated to say so since he's a liked member here apparently and I didn't initially predict him, Hence my motivation might seem suspect Therefore I should hurry up and say so now, before having the excuse of more vindicating info later. But I'm really liking Vititoe also.

So maybe I should do what I first wanted to do, just because I have almost nothing to go on. Instead of pick just two for the best bets, I'll say this -

Vititoe, McIntyre, Amoedo, Lowe, & Roberts will all still be there after Wilson, White, Green, & Champagne have all dropped out first. Apelian...I declare her as a wildcard
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 04-20-2016 at 10:24 AM.

- William Arthur Ward

I think I will sit back and get the entertainment value out of this one. Especially since I am home and warm, not cold, wet, starving, scraped, bruised, battered and being hunted by predators in the darkness.

- William Arthur Ward

It is really hard to tell how they do until they spend a few nights there. I think the predators are the biggest factor that separates them.

I am glad Colhane made it. I enjoy watching his youtube channel and conversing with him on the forums. I wish him the best of luck.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

^ Last season, that one guy's mom got cancer bad right before he left, and the reality of her being gone before he was done got to him more and more - I think he'd made it much longer otherwise. Sad to see a situation like that.

But yea man, the reality of a bear, when truly helpless and vulnerable like they are with nothing but foul language, has the potential of really freaking a person out.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 04-20-2016 at 05:32 PM.

- William Arthur Ward