Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Alone Season 2 on History Channel

Lots of whining on the show. When I was a boy I was taught not to whine and I was ridiculed or laughed at if I did. I learned not to do it and it helped me. Being alone is not for whiners because nobody is there to listen. They want to go home and whine and have someone listen . I think that and the fact that few of them have ever been without complete protected security in their life is the reason so many drop out. Few of them have ever had enough challenges in their lives that they had to surmount without support of others.
    Of course, I realize that many have no knowledge of how to obtain food in an area with much food. Lack of knowledge and hunger are always legitimate. reasons to drop out.

Darn it. What happened. My link was for the t.v. show "spartan ultimate team challenge".
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Wilderness survival just like bear grylls, right? Yea, right. The guy who creates sensationalism out of drinking your own pee to survive.
    https://youtu.be/xUFQ2ECfPOw

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Very boring episode this week.

Even the Alaskans are whining!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Not sure why David doesn't try and move and find a better spot for his nets. He hasn't caught anything a 3 weeks. Way past time to try a new spot. Not sure how active he is in trying to find food. I don't know what the rules are for moving are. I know they can move, but how far can they go?

Nicole is literally throwing food away, I wonder if this will come back to haunt her. I would think she should try and smoke or dry the extra meat to save for later. Though it might be tough in such a high humidity environment.

Not sure about Jose, he has mad crafting/bushcraft skills, but not sure how "smart" he is. Does he really need to build a boat to reach a stream. Is he stuck on a small island?

I figured Justin would get hurt and tap after climbing his mountain. He has the determination to get the job done, but seems to be lacking in a sense to put that determination to good use. Just about the opposite of David.

David has the skills, seems resigned to sit in one spot and mope. Not going to last much longer at this rate.
    Nicole has been lucky so far, but what will happen when the cold hits and the bounty ceases, will she be able to make the transition?
    Jose can he put his mad skills to good use?
    Justin can he funnel his energy and determination into better shelter and finding food, or is it too late.
    Larry can't live on mice alone. I don't think he can last much longer.

I'm starting to worry about Justin. That was pretty risky when he climb that mountain. Glad it gave him a second wind to keep going. Even though he has the heart and motivation to keep going, it seems like he just doesn't have the knowledge as far as I can tell. I hope he doesn't hurt himself and force to quit. He reminds me of Sam in season 1.

Nicole is doing great. But she needs to start thinking long term. She should start stock piling food for when bad weather come. I agree with weekendwarrior that she should have smoke the salmon for future use. That's what the Natives did. I think for Nicole it will come down to missing her family that might get her to quit. But by then maybe the others already quit.

Jose is a fantastic outdoors man. He seems the most comfortable being out there with nature. As impressive as his boat appears, I see a flaw with it. The base of his boat seems to be too round and narrow. That boat will roll over in rough waters. He should add some stabilizers to that boat. Hopefully, when that boat is finish he'll get some good use out of it. I bet he wishes he were at where Nicole is at.

Dave is really struggling. It's kinda sad to see him slowly deteriorating and the only thing that is motivating him is winning that money for his kids. I don't know how old his kids are but when they grow up, they don't care how much you make. As long as you love them and try your best to take care of them. That's all that matters. If the kids are old enough, they can take care of themselves.

Where is Larry? So surprise he didn't get any screen time. I kinda hope that mouse follow him to his new camp. It's like watching Tom and Jerry. lol
    Last edited by kaze; 06-17-2016 at 11:57 AM.

I dont know what Justin is thinking?? If he wants to be an inspiration to vets with PTSD he needs to choose battles that will lead him to victory on the island, not climbing a hill because its there...

He has an Army background Grizz, he is used to doing things for no D@&% good reason!

He also has no concept of calorie conservation. That has been evident from the start when he made his jungle gym and promoted daily exercise sessions.

Some folks take a while to figure things out. Successful gill net strategy= find a stream and stretch your net at the mouth of the stream. Spawning salmon head up the streams.

Nichole is not only catching fish she is grazing. She gathers several hundred calories every time she leaves her shelter in plant nutrition, which is also giving her a better balanced diet. But I agree that she should have a smoker set up. The salmon run will eventually end. Just a wigwam of greenery with racks inside and a low smoky fire would preserve the fish. Five pounds of calorie dense salmon would mean two weeks additional stay=$500k

While Nichole is thriving, Dave, Justin and Larry are walking past the same plants and starving.

Jose is going to be a hard man to beat. I am thinking that in the end it may come down to Jose and Nichole.

They are going to have to get rid of some folks real soon, they are running out of episodes and I am getting bored with some of the foolishness being exhibited by the "pros". After all, we are getting the edited edition and they could skip to the action any time they wish.

Would you put your life in the hands of Dave, Larry or Justin? They would have you dropping for pushups, swearing at the trees or staring out into space while every day you poke another notch into your belt!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    He also has no concept of calorie conservation. That has been evident from the start when he made his jungle gym and promoted daily exercise sessions.
    This. I could see some targeted exercises focused on things he's likely to need at some point but doesn't get much of daily, but a full morning PT routine only works when you also have a chow hall nearby.

Now, climbing the mountain to scout for resources? Sure. Climbing it just to make a point? Maybe after a few months, with a good food supply laid in.

While I concur with commentary made thus far (want to slap Justin for hurting his knee for example), I do have to say that maybe Justin doesn't consider the purpose of the show or his win as important, but feels that what he's doing climbing that mountain is more important - using the show as an opportunity to put it out there. And maybe that's not a bad thing at all. Instead of it being dumb within the context of the show, maybe it should be seen as selfless and honorable...not caring about the money or how well he does, but this other thing instead. Of course, for him to do how he should be doing for the show, and to win the show, would be good to this end as well.

Nicole should pee on her gillnet posts. For those black bears.

Uh-oh. David said he missed his kids, and got choked up. Done passed into that danger zone.

And then it's over. I just started watching this thing. And then it's over. That was an hour? An hour of what?

- William Arthur Ward

I told you it was a boring episode 7 posts back!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    While I concur with commentary made thus far (want to slap Justin for hurting his knee for example), I do have to say that maybe Justin doesn't consider the purpose of the show or his win as important, but feels that what he's doing climbing that mountain is more important - using the show as an opportunity to put it out there. And maybe that's not a bad thing at all. Instead of it being dumb within the context of the show, maybe it should be seen as selfless and honorable...not caring about the money or how well he does, but this other thing instead. Of course, for him to do how he should be doing for the show, and to win the show, would be good to this end as well.

Nicole should pee on her gillnet posts. For those black bears.

Uh-oh. David said he missed his kids, and got choked up. Done passed into that danger zone.

And then it's over. I just started watching this thing. And then it's over. That was an hour? An hour of what?
    I was thinking if he won he could do a LOT of good with $500k to help the vets and wasting time/energy on climbing the mountain was a step in the wrong direction.

Yea...........
    Of course, for him to do how he should be doing for the show, and to win the show, would be good to this end as well.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Nichole is not only catching fish she is grazing. She gathers several hundred calories every time she leaves her shelter in plant nutrition, which is also giving her a better balanced diet. But I agree that she should have a smoker set up. The salmon run will eventually end. Just a wigwam of greenery with racks inside and a low smoky fire would preserve the fish. Five pounds of calorie dense salmon would mean two weeks additional stay=$500k
    But then how do you store it with the bears around? Not too close to camp, or you're inviting them in, and farther away you won't have a chance to defend it. Rope up in a tree will work for a while, but they'll eventually mess with the rope or climb the tree.

For thousands of years the natives of Alaska have smoked, dried and cured fish while keeping the finished product in various forms of caches.

The answer to the bear problem is simple, the 3 S-rule; Shoot them, smoke them and shut up about them, and do it all with the dang camera shut off!

Not a single person has figured out that there is an OFF button on that camera and bear were considered a necessary source of fat for surviving the winter in that area.

Keeps them out of your salmon cache too!

Justin climbed a mountain top and didn't bother looking around for any creeks or rivers. Or better, he should have climbed a tree on the mountain top and had a good look. I don't know the area, but here, the the salmon run would be near the end of September.
    They need shallow still areas to spear the salmon. They need salt or ocean water, wood and whatever type of smokehouse they can set up. They should see thirty salmon in one place from the shore. They can spear them, snare them, or shine them with a light at night and spear them, wier or trap them. They should have always been thinking about rivers and creeks from the first day. Salmon isn't the only large fish that can be speared while spawning on the river if you are in the right place and time. There are too many other animals and foods to mention on the rivers and streams.

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Justin climbed a mountain top and didn't bother looking around for any creeks or rivers.
    Wish they were still showing the specific spots on the map; I'm curious how far he was from Winter Harbor. If their season 1 maps were accurate, Sam could have hiked in each morning for breakfast.

I noticed that this season they aren't zooming in much on where they are when they show that overhead map view...and was thinking that they discovered that they can't let people know exactly where they are cause maybe you get some tourists or explorers dropping in and becoming a nuisance?

- William Arthur Ward

Walking tree, the show was taped back in the fall, 6-8 months ago.

Any one rushing out to see them now would find them long gone.

yea, but I just mean geeks going to look for souveners or something, don't want lots of people messing around, or maybe they'll go to the same general areas again?

- William Arthur Ward