Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plans for an Off-grid paradise in South America, plenty of land, people needed.

now this has been a real 'welcome to the forum' thread. lol

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher View Post
    now this has been a real 'welcome to the forum' thread. lol
    This is what we refer to as a "troll toss" Mannlicher. Happens ever couple of weeks.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

drive-by

always be ready to duck
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

The section says "General Survival Discussion"......
    This is just training for General Survival....if you can't survive a bunch of Grumpy Geezers, that have some experience and sense....you are gonna have a tough time in the world.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

He has one post and you guys go and do that. Even now he's probably macheteing his way through the jungle holding back the tears and muttering under his breath. "I'll show them, I'll show everyone. Mine will be the best jungle redoubt ever. I'll even find the lost city of Nazi/ Aztec/ Inca gold and they'll be sorry they made fun of me then." Sniff, sniff.

The fantasy and the reality may be quite different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey. She's kinda cute.

Or is it just the shirtlessness?

- William Arthur Ward

Hey, eyes up here!........
    ( don't see a "blur" emoji)

That's why they found them bones. Couldn't get anything done. Distracted.

- William Arthur Ward

Just make sure if you go, that you aren't from the UK. They really don't like people from the UK down in Patagonia.

Oh yeah, Argentina isn't a 3rd world country.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Thread closed at OP request.......well sort of. He wanted the thread banned, but it serves as a very good teaching tool, so it'll stay.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thought I'd bump this one up for those that may not have had a chance to read it.

Here's another thing to remind people of regarding forums in general. When you post and people interact with you the thread is not your property. It belongs to the forum. Sometimes mistakes are made and a polite note to a moderator will get that corrected, but complaining that it is your thread and you want it gone will only get the thread bumped so that those that missed it and never knew about the foolishness that occurred will be brought up to speed.

Continued whining may cause it to become a sticky.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It may be a good idea to unlock it as well in case there are anymore people that would care to comment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah...Thanks.....
    When ever I see a thread....looking like a personal ad looking for "Like Minded People" to go a do....fill in blank...and alarm goes off.

As a early subscriber to Mother Earth News Magazine back in the 1970's and 80's...there was a lot of personnel ads in the classifieds in the magazine.
    Before internet.

Was a warning going around at the time concerning some one that had answered one of these "Like Minded" ads.....and didn't end well.

At the moment I can't seem to find a reference....but left an impression on me back when.

When I see and hear these now...always seem that some one is looking for money, labor and "followers".....

Most people on this forum, at least those that stick around .....tend to lean toward self sufficiency and these requests are against my very nature as well as most others here.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Is this place named Jonestown by any chance?

Are copious amounts of kool-aid on the supply list?
    Dang it Rat, you stole my kool aid line, that sucks!

I'm no fan on what so much of society has become but I gave too many years of my life to this country to just tuck tail and run without a fight to try to fix it!! Not to mention, half my gene pool was here long before Columbus was a gleem in his daddies eye. I'm not going anywhere.

When I think of South America or even Central, I think of things that infect your heart for life or swim up your whatchamacallit or get in your blood via little bugs that are all over the place...and can mess you up real bad...the types of things that I just don't hear as much about 'round these parts north of the equator. That place is just mean.

Why don't somebody come up with some scheme to colonize one those many uninhabited islands illegally that is all over the globe. Why's it always gotta be that place with all these nasty bugs and stuff.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree
    When I think of South America or even Central, I think of things that infect your heart for life or swim up your whatchamacallit or get in your blood via little bugs that are all over the place

Oh yeah, been there, done that. That's why God invented Cipro. You can be as diligent as you want but somewhere along the way you are going to look at what you are eating or drinking and go, oh, crap. And you will.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah...Thanks.....
    When ever I see a thread....looking like a personal ad looking for "Like Minded People" to go a do....fill in blank...and alarm goes off.

As a early subscriber to Mother Earth News Magazine back in the 1970's and 80's...there was a lot of personnel ads in the classifieds in the magazine.
    Before internet.

Was a warning going around at the time concerning some one that had answered one of these "Like Minded" ads.....and didn't end well.

At the moment I can't seem to find a reference....but left an impression on me back when.

When I see and hear these now...always seem that some one is looking for money, labor and "followers".....

Most people on this forum, at least those that stick around .....tend to lean toward self sufficiency and these requests are against my very nature as well as most others here.
    Here, I found it for you.

http://www.history.com/topics/jonestown
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I am aware of that sad incident....with it's reference to "Drinking the Kool-Aid".....
    But was looking for a solid reference for an incident closer to home.

Across the street for my mothers house in central Wisconsin, where I grew up....lived a guy I went to HS with...was a Sheriffs Detective.

He was working on a case back when.... where a couple had been murdered after answering an ad for "Help on a Self-sustaining Homestead"...who were lured in.....
    Not sure exactly where it happened...but recall the story he was telling us,.. at his house.

I'll keep looking.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-17-2016 at 03:47 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We had a deal like this going on in eastern OH a couple of years back.

A serial killer was luring homeless people in with the offer of work/room/board on a farm and then killing them and burying them in the woods.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/us...b-ad.html?_r=0

The real kicker is that this South American wonder from the heart of Belgium never returned for a second post. Never defended or explained his plan to correct any misconceptions we might have had and his continued whining and demands behind the scenes only go further to reinforce his overbearing and narcissistic nature.

He is apparently not used to being faced with opposition or criticism equaling what most 8th graders face daily in the lunch room.

Wonder how he would be face to face in the Argentinian bush when confronted over some foolish decision he had made arbitrarily that affected the individuals under what he considered "his rule".

Or better yet, how would he react to someone threatening to leave his "settlement" and reveal its location to the authorities.

If the attitude expressed in the OP prevail, and the ends justify the means, then one can only assume that killing the snitch would be rationalized, and then you can't let anyone leave for "reasons of security".

I can see no good end to this scenario.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-17-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'll bet it all plays out well in his mom's basement.