Thread: Where to live and practice basic jungle survival?

Default Where to live and practice basic jungle survival?

Hi! Where would a good place be to live and practice basic jungle survival? Somewhere where I can live on the beach and then be able to do daytrips into the jungle. A plus if the place is relative cheap and have street food or local markets.

Central America
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

In the jungle ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Employment or income will be a factor?

Unlike the U.S., most 3rd world nations that have both jungle, beach and catering service to your campsite, have minimum income levels below which you are not allowed to enter as a resident. Squatters are a very unwelcome class in most beach towns.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Medellin, Columbia, offers both jungle and sunny beaches, plus local street vendors and colorful, friendly people.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Where about in central america? Costa Rica, Belize, Panama?
    Where about in Medellin, Columbia? From what I saw on the map its an inland big city.

Unlike the U.S., most 3rd world nations that have both jungle, beach and catering service to your campsite, have minimum income levels below which you are not allowed to enter as a resident. Squatters are a very unwelcome class in most beach towns.
    What do you mean? Do I need some employment and income paper on tourist entry? And what do you mean with squatting? Im thinking of camping.

Quote Originally Posted by bozen07 View Post
    Where about in central america? Costa Rica, Belize, Panama?
    Where about in Medellin, Columbia? From what I saw on the map its an inland big city.

What do you mean? Do I need some employment and income paper on tourist entry? And what do you mean with squatting? Im thinking of camping.
    I think Seniorman is pulling your chain. Reminding you that third world nations are usually a dangerous place to sleep on the beach.

And yes, for residence you need to show proper paperwork to immigration when entering any country and they do have income standards. I have been through the process and know it exists. A tourist visa is different but has limitations on length of stay, property ownership and legal status.

And in many countries camping in one spot for any length of time IS considered squatting. It all depends on the local attitudes and laws. You have to check these things out first at the national immigration and tourism sites.

Each country is different and not all of them are like camping at a national park in Virginia, California or Florida. It is very dangerous in many areas when you go off the beaten tourist track and decide to sleep on the beach rather than in the hotel compound behind stone walls and armed security. As an American tourist you are a target.

And always remember that in other countries they often do not "play nice" in the judicial system. Our Constitution is not their Constitution. You argue your point and you get a night-stick up side of the head and wind up a bloody pulp before you reach the jail. Then the judge lays a fine on you based on how much income HE needs this year.

I have seen this done to several missionaries over the years, with churches in the States laying down big money to get their people back after bogus charges were enforced.

That information is not going to be included on the national tourist web-page.

You want a national park, with jungle, on the beach, no passport or visa requirements, covered by U.S. laws???? Check out Puerto Rico.

Here ya go....Like minded and all......
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-people-needed
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh man, you are so bad.

Ok. Uh, yea. That's just great timing. No way.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
    What do you thin about Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Hawaii, Cambodia?

If a person is serious about learning useful skills, one option is to actually go to the country and to learn from the people who have been "surviving" (living) in that environment for generations. Staying with a local family and living a local lifestyle concerning food, housing, clothing and so on will teach a person much about many aspects of survival in a particular locale.

As a Peace Corps volunteer, I had the opportunity to live in a tropical rain forest environment and to learn some "survival skills" from people who actually used them in daily life. If a person is willing to go to another culture, learn the language and observe carefully, that person can learn quite a bit - but it will not necessarily be the same thing as going out alone and uninvited into a primitive area. I would look for a way to visit the country, then be willing to adapt to the local environment.

Here we go;

Costa Rica is a huge hunting preserve. Get that? No foraging for game at all. No hunting and no trapping and it is a Federal Law in that nation, not violation of state law and do it if you can get away with it. They are serious.

Belize has one of the highest murder rates in the world. You have to remain in "your side of town" to be safe and if you try to sleep on the beach they will find you with your throat cut. Intense gang activity.

Panama, major stopover for drug traffic. You can practice survival there but you will be restricted to national forest areas and the rules of such. I think we still have our Jungle Warfare School down there. That is my only connection to Panama and that was 40+ years ago. They have wasps as big as humming birds and sticker bushes that will put you in the hospital.

Hawaii??? Are you kidding. Hawaii is the vacation paradise of the U.S and tiny, but have at it if you can afford the trip. You might as well just go to any national forest and lose yourself for a couple of weeks.

Cambodia? I was in Cambodia once and you can not pay me enough to go back. I can honestly say that the only people on earth I have an aversion to are the people of Cambodia. Everyone else must earn my disrespect, the Cambodians already did. Call it prejudice if you wish but I never experienced another whole nation trying to kill me when we were not even at war!

Now I have a question:

Why the obsession with the jungle and why far from the U.S. ???

If you are having this much trouble finding a place to do jungle survival why do you feel you will ever NEED to do jungle survival. Your chances of using the knowledge are ZERO!

Why not "practice survival" in the region you have a 99.999% chance of using the knowledge and it is only a two hour flight or a three hour drive from home?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Cambodia? I was in Cambodia once and you can not pay me enough to go back. I can honestly say that the only people on earth I have an aversion to are the people of Cambodia. Everyone else must earn my disrespect, the Cambodians already did. Call it prejudice if you wish but I never experienced another whole nation trying to kill me when we were not even at war!
    Funny how two people can have totally different experiences of countries.

I traveled through most of south east Asia and the Cambodians were by far the friendliest of the lot, still would not recommend to go living in their jungle as there are still shedload of landmines left in the jungle from the Pol Pot regime, many kids lose limbs every year due to this.

I've been in many jungles in Central America. Always in a safe group. Some of the best jungles can also, at times, have some people who are the most dangerous kind.
    Where ever you are, I consider to be foolish and unexperienced to act aloof and foreign. I watch peoples faces automatically and naturally. I know they do the same with me. I copy facial expressions, hand movements and how I sit and eat. It just helps you get along with people quicker.