Thread: Mystery Wood

Default Mystery Wood

A while back I bought a good sized box of various woods that had been stabilized and dyed. The handle on this is one of those pieces. Not 100% sure what type of wood it is.

Steel - D2
    Blade Length - 2-3/4"
    Overall Length - 8"
    Wood - ? with Bamboo Pins and Black Liner

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You do beautiful work Crash.
    Very nice!
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

What steel is that Crash? nice work!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

That is an interesting wood......works well with that blade.....Nice work.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well, I love the red. Red's my color, so I'm discriminating of what shade a particular red is, and it's other color elements. And that blade is awfully shiny pretty too.

(wise old owl) Cheating with Wikipedia:

D2 steel.

Cold work group.

The cold-work tool steels include the O-series (oil-hardening), the A-series (air-hardening), and the D-series (high carbon-chromium). These are steels used to cut or form materials that are at low temperatures. This group possesses high hardenability and wear resistance, and average toughness and heat softening resistance. They are used in production of larger parts or parts that require minimal distortion during hardening. The use of oil quenching and air-hardening helps reduce distortion, avoiding the higher stresses caused by the quicker water quenching. More alloying elements are used in these steels, as compared to the water-hardening class. These alloys increase the steels' hardenability, and thus require a less severe quenching process and as a result are less likely to crack. They have high surface hardness and are often used to make knife blades. The machinability of the oil hardening grades is high but for the high carbon-chromium types is low.

High carbon-chromium: the D-series.

The D-series of the cold-work class of tool steels, which originally included types D2, D3,D6, and D7, contains between 10% and 13% chromium (which is unusually high). These steels retain their hardness up to a temperature of 425 °C (797 °F). Common applications for these tool steels include forging dies, die-casting die blocks, and drawing dies. Due to their high chromium content, certain D-type tool steels are often considered stainless or semi-stainless, however their corrosion resistance is very limited due to the precipitation of the majority of their chromium and carbon constituents as carbides.

Composition - 1.5% C, 11.0–13.0% Cr; additionally 0.45% Mn, 0.030% P, 0.030% S, 1.0% V, 0.9% Mo, 0.30% Si

Notes - D2 is very wear resistant but not as tough as lower alloyed steels. The mechanical properties of D2 are very sensitive to heat treatment. It is widely used for the production of shear blades, planer blades and industrial cutting tools; sometimes used for knife blades.

Now...let's see if I can come to understand everything I just posted there...
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 04-14-2016 at 01:35 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Most excellent! I love the new logo but isn't it hard to get the leather in the carriage of that new typewriter?

Not sure on the Wood ,Crash, but it helped make for a Beautiful knife Bro

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

I think the dye/staining makes it impossible to identify. Almost looks like the wood is spalted though. Beautiful grain.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

Whatever it is, it sure is nice!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!