Thread: luck or skill you decide

Default luck or skill you decide

or maybe a little of both. check out this link about 3 fellas lost on the tundra for nine days

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...-tundra/65845/
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Sounds like they kinda knew what they were doing.....I guessing locals?

But the "snowmobile and faulty GPS app on the phone"....does bring a question?

Glad they made it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't think you'll find very many Nanook Of The North eskimos anymore. The article didn't say what equipment they had except a GPS and a snow machine. Built an igloo??? Would that entail some kind of long blade knife for cutting snow blocks? "Caught" a caribou?? Rifle?? Or did one of the men chase it down and beat it to death with a club?? No food. No sleeping bags. No clue as to direction. Did they eat the caribou meat raw or did they have a pot and some way to make a fire??

Stalked by a wolf and too afraid to go outside the igloo?? If they had a firearm to kill a caribou, why not go outside and shoot the wolf? I guarantee if I were in a survival situation and a wolf were stalking me and if I had a gun, that wolf would be dead as a burnt boot.

So, much luck, some skill. Lots of unanswered questions. Glad they made it. Perhaps next time the three will be a bit better prepared.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

its no shocker I too have had issues with Smart phone GPS - drains the battery fast
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I would say about 75/25 skill. I think there is always the element of luck in any successful survival situation. Definitely some talent shown in getting two caribou (still not sure if they were shot or caught), building an igloo and just general survival in that environment for that period of time. The article doesn't give much detail but I assume it is safe to say they ate the caribou in some form or fashion. My question is if they were in a cabin the first night why didn't they stay there?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I guess it goes to show that even if you are used to the terrain and ways to survive....you can't take it for granted.
    Just because they are from there...doesn't mean they are experts for all conditions..... Mother Nature can be cruel.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

No compass, no ELB and taking off in near blizzard conditions. They toyed with Mother Nature and got slapped down hard.

FROM THE ARTICLE ... " I built an igloo with a small knife ...."
    As to the eternal question, "What's the best survival knife??"

Answer. The one you have with you when TSHTF.

From the second article, looks like they had more stuff that noted in the first article.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It seems amazing to me that I carry more gear in my vehicle here in north Kentucky than these guys packed for an 11 hour, 300km tundra crossing in the artic north!

Typical politician.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

sounds like they made fairly good decisions, other than totally going by the directions of a GPS!! About the time you think you can trust those things..........You can't!!!