Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum sealed meats

Default Vacuum sealed meats

So i had an idea of vacuum sealing fresh meats to take on camping trips.(steak, ground beef, maybe fish filets). I was wondering how well the meat would hold up being vacuum sealed but not refrigerated for 3-4 days.

Vacuum sealing raw meat and leaving it unrefrigerated (or unfrozen) will not prevent it from going bad.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash is right.

The thing that will prevent it from going bad is to soak it in a heavy salt brine for about 48 hours. After that, do NOT rinse off the meat but sprinkle a lot of salt on the meat giving it a good coating. Then you can vacuum seal it.

When you are ready to use, open the package and place the meat in water allowing it to soak for at least 2 hours and changing the water periodically to remove the salt. Once that is done, you can use the meat.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

jerky, summer sausage, pemmican, freeze dried meat, canned meat, heavily salted meat.... there is a reason why these exist.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Clostridium botulinum grows very well in vacuum packed foods. It is anaerobic. It doesn't need air at all to thrive.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I would enjoy anaerobics if I could fit in those stretchy clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would enjoy anaerobics if I could fit in those stretchy clothes.
    Is that a twinkie in your pocket, or are just happy to see Crash?!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Those stretchy anaerobics pants a yogurt pants, right?.....
    Now I know how they get them on.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

In today's markets the FDA is so regulatory for you safety, old preservative methods cannot be conducted in age old traditions..... shelf stable meats are almost a thing of the past. In the 50's Philadelphia's used to drive to Lancaster and purchase artisian meats and cheeses that were homemade by the Amish and Mennonite. The regulations has killed that industry. There were some survivors... an example is Dietz and Watson, for Philadelphia German traditional meats. Making shelf stable meat requires more knowledge than can be found on the internet. You should read up about acidics, such as Vinegar, for preservation. Remember the gold rush of 49 from history books, they used salted dried beef to survive. Or understand how Saltpeter works, discover how Morton Sugar Cure for ground beef works. Or start using a smoker or Food Dryer, Or understand how to make Pemmican, and try it at home.

OK Perhaps you are not into this as much as I am.... I make my own smoked jerky.

You can still purchase hard Salami and hard Pepperoni (not sliced) its shelf stable up to two months at room temperature. You can buy Pemmican or Dietz & Watson Landjaeger, I get that by the case. I found a Landjaeger stick in my pack that I forgot about and six months later it was still fine.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-02-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

You can vacuum pack it and freeze it and get you through the first two days. Then there is chicken and tuna in envelopes that you can use after that.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

You can keep a properly cured and unopened dry salami for a couple years (though the USDA only recommends something like that 2 months mentioned above.)
    Refrigerate after that first slice though, and only for a couple weeks, maybe.

My go-to Italian market has any number of air cured salamis hanging from a rack behind the counter.
    Some of the tastiest things on the planet.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

Bresaola is a salted and dried beef ..........and is to die for.....friend made it in his attic in the winter.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresaola

I've never had the courage to make dry salami. I do have a book here on how to do it. A lot of chemistry. Wish I had learned from my Grandpa. But he forgot how to do it long before I got interested in making it.

This guy where I buy it, I'm pretty sure he imports it.
    The prosciutto is a nice light color and really tasty.
    The soppressata is really dense and great just eating as slices.
    He also has those 4' long logs of aged provelone with just the right amount of sharpness to them.
    I know the new provelone just came in. That means the new meats aren't too far behind.
    Wish I could afford to buy it more often.

I bought a book on charcuterie.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr.../dp/0393058298

I did a couple small things and then my doctor told me to cut back on salt. I plan to get started back into it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    You can vacuum pack it and freeze it and get you through the first two days. Then there is chicken and tuna in envelopes that you can use after that.
    My water bladder is in reflectix and I use a reflextix cozy for pasta cooking... one can put frozen meat in there and place it next to the water bladder wrapped in fleece.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I bought a book on charcuterie.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr.../dp/0393058298

I did a couple small things and then my doctor told me to cut back on salt. I plan to get started back into it soon.
    Nice find.. thanks!

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by UGP View Post
    So i had an idea of vacuum sealing fresh meats to take on camping trips.(steak, ground beef, maybe fish filets). I was wondering how well the meat would hold up being vacuum sealed but not refrigerated for 3-4 days.
    So.....Where did you go?....
    Did that answer your question?

Or...........did you eat some bad meat?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Or...........did you eat some bad meat?
    No trips yet. I was just working on planning for later this spring. When i do 'car camping' with friends, it's easy to keep a cooler in the car to have any kind of desired food stuffs at hand. I am looking at doing more primitive style camping this year and was just wondering if it was possible to bring raw meats on a 2 or 3 day jaunt if they were vacuum sealed. Maybe i'll look at salami or some other cured meats. Canned and pouch foods are a little blah for me.

Thank you all for the extensive input and views on the subject.

Pssssst.......Even MRE's have a miniature bottle of Tobasco

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Besides, bland beat poisoning your self.