Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilderness toilet paper and pooping in the woods

Default Wilderness toilet paper and pooping in the woods

An excellent link for pooping in the woods! Okay come on guys, the jokes start now!!!

http://ultralightbackpackintips.blog...let-paper.html

I will still take my toilet paper. I use it because I can. Because mankind found a better way. And because the heavenly butt scuff is just not done in polite circles....or Kroger as it turns out.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

A very good and important skill set that we al need to practice. I can also highly recommend the book 'How to **** in the Woods" by Kathleen Meyer ($8.37 from Amazon).
    Another book co-authored by Meyer and Wilson-Howrath, "How to **** Around the World", looks like a good read for world travelrers.
    Geezer Squad #2

2 red corn cobs and one white one ! Red ones to clean with, white one to check with....nuf said !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Well, I'm in trouble then. I forgot what TP even looks like. I'll go shopping for it before a trip, and not be able to find it.

No but seriously...

"I said I never had much use for TP; I never said I didn't know how to use it."

- Matthew Quigley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwDmV1KWrKQ

I wonder if Marston and his guys had on clean underwear.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Wear long socks.......the longer the trip, the longer the socks.....just keep cutting a bit off for each trip to the bushes....
    Comfrey leaves work well....but don't dry well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    A very good and important skill set that we al need to practice. I can also highly recommend the book 'How to **** in the Woods" by Kathleen Meyer ($8.37 from Amazon).
    Another book co-authored by Meyer and Wilson-Howrath, "How to **** Around the World", looks like a good read for world travelrers.
    I think the barefoot hippy survival instructor, Cody Lundin, has a section about sanitation in his book "When All H--- Breaks Loose". You could also put a live rattlesnake on the toilet seat and be scared s---less.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    I think the barefoot hippy survival instructor, Cody Lundin, has a section about sanitation in his book "When All H--- Breaks Loose". You could also put a live rattlesnake on the toilet seat and be scared s---less.
    There is no such thing as being scared s---less, people have been known to have the s--- scared out of them, usually in such a manner as to having shat themselves.

This subject was covered a few years ago, not sure just how serious the thread was, or if we ever really got down to business, I believe Muellin was discussed at some point as being the Natures TP of choice. And as always the thread was pretty darn funny at times, and just plain stank at other times.

Here ya go, some heavy reading for your pleasure!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=poopin+woods
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    There is no such thing as being scared s---less, people have been known to have the s--- scared out of them, usually in such a manner as to having shat themselves.

This subject was covered a few years ago, not sure just how serious the thread was, or if we ever really got down to business, I believe Muellin was discussed at some point as being the Natures TP of choice. And as always the thread was pretty darn funny at times, and just plain stank at other times.

Here ya go, some heavy reading for your pleasure!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=poopin+woods
    Wow, had to dig for that thread..........I'm thinking that You, Crash and Rick are the only ones left?....That have posted this year?

Even before my time........
    Pretty funny though, thanks for finding it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I still use TP because it is lightweight, works good, and can be a "multi-use" item. I typically bury mine about a foot deep. I do find it annoying when others do not and leave piles everywhere. Kinda kills the scenery.

I have used rocks, leaves, and pinecones. They do work, but when I really have to go I am not trying to find sufficient tp replacement before getting down to business.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

While I have gone many times with natural material for cleanup, I like a little tp and a wetwipe. I'm just not concerned with that little of weight.

I've been to several "Pack it out" areas. I agreed with some and thought, "This rule is only because of the slobs that don't bury it'" in others. Like most of us, seeing tp gardens by (and even in) the trail makes me sick.

I have gone UL a few times and didn't think it "freed" me from anything. I don't care what someone else carries in their pack. But for some reason some Ul's want to preach to me and/or snicker at my non-UL load. Not cool. But I have become more weight conscious since trying UL.

I admit to being a bit crass when camping with people who have a problem with going in the woods in the past. I finally realized that it is very uncomfortable in many ways for many people who haven't done it a lot. I try hard to be more sensitive to their plight these days.

Like the Charmin commercial says.....we all have to go. Why not enjoy the go? Yep, I carry TP.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

From reading ya'll, I find myself a bit surprised that people leaving used TP just laying on the ground happens very much. I can imagine that not being something to be polite about when finding it and want to gripe at someone about it. Are they not even digging a hole in the first place?

What is UL?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

UL = Ultra Light

Well this sure has turned out to be a crappy thread !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    UL = Ultra Light
    Underwiper's Lavatory!

Unfortunately, many people are not conscious of their TP remnants. The worst I saw was two summers ago when my brother and I canoed out to a remote spot on a lake in a national forest. Beautiful camp spot right on the lake with fantastic fishing. Behind us was a pretty big hill with a trail that went straight up it to from our camp. The first morning after breakfast, we decided to hike up the hill to check it out. When we got to the top, we turned around and looked down towards camp. White blotches everywhere! Couldn't see a single one from camp though, but from the other side it was pretty bad. Really killed the feng shui of the outdoors.

Back to the OP, I think TP and biodegradable wet wipes are the best things to keep on hand. It is just a common courtesy to bury the deed and do it away from trails and water.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

The worst I've ever seen was in college when the tail of a guys white shirt got in the way. As he walked through the student union there was a really really weird wave a disgust moving through with him. It was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The worst I've ever seen was in college when the tail of a guys white shirt got in the way. As he walked through the student union there was a really really weird wave a disgust moving through with him. It was pretty bad.
    That was no skid mark, that was a burnout !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Well I suppose if we were Arabic, there would be no issue with tissue. They just use their hand.......Ewwwwwwwwww!

You can wipe a tear, you can wipe that smile off your face but you can't wipe your buddy's.....Oooh. a nickel.