Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drained Batteries

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Drained Batteries

Having a problem here. My red dot optics are draining batteries even when in the OFF position.

It does not matter if they are dot batteries or disk type, after a few weeks I come back, turn on the optic and the projected dot is so dim it is useless.

It also does not seem to matter how much I paid for the device! Expensive or cheap, they want a new battery after sitting for a couple of months.

Just being in the device seems to drain them since I buy these batteries in bulk and the ones I replace them with from the pack are all the same age.

My illuminated scopes do not have this problem, just the reflex type sights. I pulled one of the illuminated scopes out and the battery was still good after nearly a year!

I am about to give up on them and go to the nuclear powered models.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ah....Batteries....
    The bain of the blind...or getting there....and will be the EOCAWKI....We will all be walking around in a daze staring at blank screens, sites that don't work, listening to the final refrain as the music devices go dim......

(Sorry don't have a clue????)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You stated that they are the same batteries from the same packaging? My thought is a bad batch or brand. Maybe buying higher brand batteries will help?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm thinking a voltage drain even with the switch off.....

It just seems to me that if the ones sitting in the device go bad the ones in the package should also be bad, but they are not. The packaged batteries still have full power.

I have one reflex that is supposed to have a 7,000 hour battery life and it lasted only a couple of months.

The fact that it happens in all of the devices may indicate bad batteries though. Looks like at least one of them should hold a charge without draining.

Perhaps you are right and I need to use some batteries that came from somewhere besides E-bay.

The device is allowing current to flow even when off. It's not entirely rare, though it is far more likely to be noticed with small capacity batteries. I have had this problem specifically with a red dot device myself and sorry to say I can't offer a suggestion if you need the device ready for use at all times.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

My new red dot is always on and is supposed to have a five year battery life.......I'll let you know.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It has me perplexed.

One of my red dot devices is supposed to have a 7000 hour life on low setting. That is nearly 10 months under purposeful current drain.

When I turn it off the battery only last 2 months.

Theoretically, if I leave it on it will last longer than if I turn it off.

It surely sounds like a defect. Is it worth contacting the manufacturer?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

It sounds like bad batteries to me. I'd put in new batteries of a name brand variety such as energizer or Duracell and see what happens. It's always best to start with the easiest and cheapest part first.

If it was one device, then I would agree that a possible faulty device is to blame. Since it is more than one device, I blame the batteries.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I guess I'd ask if these are stored in a heated space. I assume they are inside your house so they are but in the off chance they aren't and in one of your many stashes, cold will kill batteries. The other thing that comes to mind, and this is just my understanding, is you don't turn it off. Turning it off actually puts it in "sleep" mode rather than turning if "off" as we would normally think "off" would mean. In the "off" position it is still running a microprocessor. I know you probably have 30 or so laying around so it might be worth a try to leave one on and turn one "off" and compare battery life. The other thing I would do is shoot the manufacturer an email and run the problem past them. I think you can remove the battery from them and still maintain zero but that might be dependent on manufacturer. It would be worth asking just to be sure.

In this day and age I'm sure they make them but what bell or whistle do your red dots have that they have a microprocessor in them?

Rick,

Do you have a link on cold killing batteries? It is common belief that cold prolongs battery life. Storing them in the fridge or freezer.

DO practice proper battery storage by keeping batteries in a cool, dry place at normal room temperature. It’s not necessary to store batteries in a refrigerator.
    http://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/battery-care

Putting batteries in the freezer or refrigerator doesn't necessarily prolong their life

Alkaline batteries stored at "room temperature" self discharge at a rate of less than two percent per year. So normally refrigerating or freezing them will only help maintain their charge by a tiny amount. Hardly worth the effort of chilling them. However, if alkaline batteries are stored at higher temperatures they will start to lose capacity much quicker. At 85 degrees F they only lose about 5% per year, but at 100 degrees they lose 25% per year. So if you live in a very hot climate or are storing your batteries in a very hot location, it may be worthwhile for you to store your alkaline batteries in a refrigerator instead.

NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them in a cool place to minimize their self discharge.
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/batter...ttery-facts-1/

I would suspect the batteries here. Also, you can get full brightness with a battery that is going to have a greatly short duration over a good battery. I have noticed that on quite a few different types and brands. I have had 123 batteries that were bright and only lasted a short time.

A premium battery in a device or two should answer that question pretty quick.

I cheap out on a lot of things....batteries are not one of them.
    For example, Harbor Freight batteries are hit or miss....some are fine, some a dead when you open the package.

I buy Ravovac, Eveready and Duracell....usually Ray-o-vac.
    BYW Rayovac has a factory in Fennimore, WI.

Batch - If the battery is not installed in a device, that's one thing. However, his reference was the batteries being installed in the scope and being drained. In that case, cold would shorten the life of the battery. Since we are just coming out of winter and he has been known to store things in vehicles I just thought the cold might be affecting it.

Let's say that these batteries were in "storage" but never achieved temps below freezing.

I think I am going to do a test as was suggested. I have two units that are identical. I am going to buy some good batteries and load them up and leave one turned on at the lowest setting and turn the other off.

These are the models that I was speaking of that have the "7000hour rating".

After the first one kills its battery I will install new batteries and leave the opposite unit turned on/off to see if both units are preforming the same.

I love reflex sight technology, and I know there are units that use no batteries or have extreme battery life, but those are way out of my price range for the number of sights I use. It would just be nice to know that I could put new batteries in a sight, turn it off, and come back 6 months latter, turn it on, an shoot.

The uncertainty has moved me in a different direction, to illuminated scopes, which still work with dead batteries. The thing is I have never had to replace a battery in any of my illuminated scopes, and I have IRs that are several years old and still light up on the original batteries I installed when I bought them.

You're not really going to sit there and watch them for 7000 hours are you? You had better take a couple of bacon samiches and a pot of coffee if you do.

Yep, I'm going to put them on top of the fridge and check them every time a commercial comes on the TV, possibly for the next 7000 hours, 10 months or dead battery, whichever comes first.

I might even tape the one I leave running to the TV remote so it will be constantly observed and checked at every commercial break!

You may as well just put it in your pocket.....each commercial break has like 15 commercials back to back........LOL