Thread: My new toy (The "The bushcraft Store" - TBS lock blade folding scandi)

Default My new toy ("The bushcraft Store" - TBS lock blade folding scandi)

Just skip the gray text

Before i buy any knife, or any piece of gear. I watch every youtube review,test and "Fail".
    Read any review i can find and do as much research as i can on every aspect of a piece of gear. When im convinced that ive found what im looking for. I purchase two of the item.
    Test and destroy(in terms of blades) my first buy to get a concept of what the tool is really capable of.
    note: ive only done this with just a few pieces of gear. only to ensure that. they would last me a lifetime.(the bk9 my kids will be passing down to their kids lol) you can infact chop a brick in half with a good tempered bk9 and still cut paper..not like that is such a big thing because you have so much edge. as long as it doesnt brake. its 1095 and though its rockwell is so high. its soft enough that it absorbs shock really well. the chromium and vanadium tighten the grain of the steel up so much. that its virtually indestructible. though it has broken in a test. while chopping a brick in half. mine didnt went through an entire brick and didnt break. and is still good and sturdy.

-----------
    As far as batoning goes for instance.
    i bought the rtak II. which is likely to break if you hit a knot in a piece of wood or even drop it as a result of the poor 5160. The edge retention isnt very good. It has no balance. There is no ability to choke up on it etc. ...not worth your money. if youre looking for something that you can trust.

The junglas,however, which is 1095 with probably a 58 rockwell, but not too hard.. is in fact a blade that you can trust. and,,lol, it has the killer lifetime "no questions asked warranty/return policy.....which is killer" however you will not be able to choke up on it very well. And,,10 is a little long. So in terms of feathering wood for tinder, its a pain but not too bad. i guess. very good hard steel.

So the junglas would be my choice,fantastic sheath,drop point, thick-full tang spine,removable micarta scales,good balance etc.

However, i chose the becker bk9(may seem a little big for some people. but trust me. it isnt). I prefer a drop point and the bk is a semi clip. 1095, rockwell 58-59. Full tang obviously with a thick spine(everyone knows the becker). But this blade has perfect balance. is extremely light but not so much so that i dont get swing out of it. MEGA edge bevel retention. and easy to sharpen(when you understand what you are doing to an edge by sharpening it. simply curling the steel in one direction and shaving the bur of from the other side of the bevel) the chromium vanadium gives it a super tight grain.
    Anyway, i prefer the high flat bevel "saber grind" over the full flat. because of the extra strength and thickness.

-----------

lol, anyway i make exceptions sometimes. and without any research purchased This TBS folding lock knife from "the bushcraft store".
    Snapshot_88.jpg
    Snapshot_89.jpg

I dont usually mess with folding knives i prefer full tang straight blades.
    When i got this knife. I was surprised at the quality of its looks. micarta scales thick spine etc, though im not sure of the hardness or carbon. But it was also extremely hard to get open. and after i broke it in i noticed a -very- slight wobble in the blade.
    Is this normal for a folding lock knife? .. and you know though its advertised as a scandi. it actually has a secondary convex edge bevel.(not a big deal. but a scandi is single bevel)

ps. this would be my destruction test knife. but ill probably give it to my brother. They sell TBS just like this for 50, but i bought this one for 130 something
    Last edited by InsolentWretch; 03-28-2016 at 07:49 AM.

Anyway, really nice knife. fine cutting tool. but i cant say i like it. mainly because the "scandi" is actually a primary convex. and the edge bevel is also convex at a different 20 degree angle. has a little tiny wobble in it that i dont like. but it seems pretty sturdy. the thing about convex is it really needs some action to bite. its really more a machete grind. id rather have a hollow grind for field dressing. a flat or high flat bevel for splitting and a convex for chopping. so im not sure what these people had in mind. anyway the bushcraft store kind of misrepresents it. the scandinavian is a flat single bevel v grind.

i carry a 16 dollar winchester camp knife as my secondary lol. and a multitool. but i decided to perchance the cold steel bushman. as a replacement. i have the morra, but i dont like plastic handles or stick tangs.
    Last edited by InsolentWretch; 03-28-2016 at 05:50 AM.

I've never had the need to chop a brick in half and doubt I'll ever have to so I'm not certain what good a test like that is. More to the point, it's no guarantee that the knife or any knife will last forever. Any knife can be broken and it will usually happen doing something it wasn't designed to do and at the worst possible moment. Murphy watches over us pretty closely for those moments.

Yeah, im not chopping bricks in half very often either. however, it serves to answer a number of questions. how much shock can the blade absorb? if im walking along the rivers edge and by chance drop my blade. what are the chances of it breaking like the rtak II; might lol. if i hit a knot while batoning. will it twist a piece of blade off? is the steel soft enough to endure that kind of turbulence? while at the same time hard enough to retain its edge without significant damage? is the grain "tight";uniform enough that the steel is strong throughout? etc.

so,,if im good to this knife. will it effectively be indestructible? while at the same time as practical if not more than any other blade on the market? ,,and so thats out of the way 'once these questions have been addressed'..i know that i can trust a blade at that point

the bk9 was designed for combat... it is totally useless to that end. as far as wood processing is concerned. there is nothing better, period

so am i going to carry an rtak II. no ,,never lol. will i buy a gerber,anything, no lol unequivocally not
    Last edited by InsolentWretch; 03-28-2016 at 06:20 AM.

Im guessing i could probably survive for 30 days with a knife like this
    https://youtu.be/k2NwUgs6VFg

I'm guessing I could probably survive for 30 days with a knife like this.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

or this

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, chopping a brick in two doesn't answer any of those questions. If you drop a blade, any blade, it depends on a number of variables whether or not the blade will be damaged. Any brand blade could be and any brand blade could survive.

You'll find a good number of folks on here, including myself, carry Gerber knives and/or multi-tools. There is nothing wrong with the brand. They make good stuff. As to whether a particular knife is the "best" is simply an expression of choice.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Got a Gerber M-tool right here by the computer, another in the Jeep and a Suspension in the Escape.

Have Bucks scattered around mixed with a few Pumas, none of which get much use.

But the Case 3 blade stockman is in my pocket, as normal. I am quite sure that if I held the stockman in the vise just right and struck it with a 1" pipe I could snap the blade like a twig. But if I do not abuse it I can pass it on to my grandson for another hundred years of good service.

You can break anything if you try hard enough, it proves nothing.

Insolent Wrench, in which part of the country are you residing? It is becoming mandatory that we know the general part of the world you frequent.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote>
    I dont usually mess with folding knives i prefer full tang straight blades.
    When i got this knife. I was surprised at the quality of its looks. micarta scales thick spine etc, though im not sure of the hardness or carbon. But it was also extremely hard to get open. and after i broke it in i noticed a -very- slight wobble in the blade.
    Is this normal for a folding lock knife? .. and you know though its advertised as a scandi. it actually has a secondary convex edge bevel.(not a big deal. but a scandi is single bevel)

ps. this would be my destruction test knife. but ill probably give it to my brother. They sell TBS just like this for 50, but i bought this one for 130 something

Thanks for the review......
    But,
    I guess I am confused.....Exactly which knife are you reviewing?...Seems like a folder?
    If it is hard to open...but after it gets broke in....gets easier?....but has a wobble ...that doesn't sound like quality to me.....?

What is quality of it's looks?.......So you like the looks?

You paid $130 when you could have got one for $50?.....Then broke it?.....

I'm in the SAK crowd .....
    I have broken things.....but never on purpose?.......I just lose stuff.
    Only baton when I absolutely have to......I burn stuff in half.

Personnely I could care less what king of grind a knife has , if is sharp and cuts what I want....I'm good.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27