Thread: The Secrets of the Wave Pilots

Default The Secrets of the Wave Pilots

A recent article in the New York Times Magazine (March 17, 2016) discusses the primitive technology used by early Micronesians to help them navigate. Kim Tingley wrote "The secrets of the Wave Pilots" about an attempt to preserve and to test traditional knowledge of navigation in the Marshall Islands. He examines the "stick charts" used as teaching aids to memorize wave and swell patterns in the region. The stick charts are often sold as souvenirs in the Marshall Islands, but few modern Marshallese know much about their use - and the knowledge is rapidly being lost. Informative short article.
    www.newyorktimes.com/2016/03/20/magazine Apparently, the 17 March 2016 Sunday magazine is a whole issue about "Voyages" and explorations. The Marshallese navigators article is only one of the articles.

The article is also referenced in Field and Stream magazine (3/22/2016) by Bill Heavey "GPS is Making You Stupid". www.fieldandstream.com
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 03-24-2016 at 05:28 PM.

We have got to teach you how to post links. Neither one show up.

I can connect to the NYT Magazine, then connect to the Voyages issue in a small box. Happy to make any necessary improvements..

I can connect to the NYT Magazine, then connect to the Voyages issue in a small box. Happy to make any necessary improvements.. Heavey's article comes up under "Hottest Blogs".

I could find much either on those links.....so Googled it and came up with a few other good references.

This seems the best...from my quick search.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...958005/?no-ist

I' have seen a program before, can't remember if it was on Discovery, or on the program Mysteries at the Museum or what....But do remember a discussion on this.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thank you for showing the article from the Smithsonian magazine; it looks to be very good. Certainly, there is not just one article or TV special on the topic There has been a healthy revival of interest in Oceanic navigation and seafaring that has been going on for about 50 years now,
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 03-26-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Was the supposed to be some pic's in there....I'm seeing a big gap in the text.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yea I remember something in national geographic magazine 'bout 20 years ago or so, twas about how they'd lash twigs together in certain patterns showing what the little ripples should look like whenever you'd look down at the water wherever you'd happen to be, and according to what pattern existed would be because of things like an island in a certain direction or certain features of the sea's behavior in particular areas...and all this would in turn tell you about where you are or where something is that you're trying to get to.

http://oceantoday.noaa.gov/oceanshowsusway/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha...ds_stick_chart
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-28-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

nice article...

chart3.jpg
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907