Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "bright" idea compliments of gov't

Default A "bright" idea compliments of gov't

The other night, my porch light went out and being that I didn't have a suitable replacement for it on hand, I decided to venture to the store this morning. Guy told me that incandescent bulbs are no longer being produced which kinda made me chuckle. So went to the competition two miles down the road and the guy their says the same thing. Now I am starting to ponder the situation and look it up on my phone. Sure enough, incandescent bulbs are no longer being made!

This puts me in a pinch since my outdoor light fixtures are decorative in design and are of a style that the bulb can be seen. This leaves me with two options, I can either install a chunk of plastic in there, or I can use a halogen that puts out 2/3rds of the light. I guess I have the third option of replacing the fixture, but that thought gets under my skin because it is only four years old and cost dang near $200!

Thanks big brother for determining what I can and can't have!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

You can purchase an L.E.D. bulb. The initial cost is more but they last a very long time. You can purchase them in just about any size you need. I've converted just about everything to L.E.D. bulbs.

Pssssst, You mean you hadn't been hoarding them for years?.....Bhohahahaha.....

Well Buddy, Do I have a deal for you.......
    For the Low, Low, Price of $19.95, plus shipping and handling, I will ship you an Antique Incandescent Decorative Country Accent Bulb of your choice.

But Wait!.....Today only!!!!!
    Get the second Antique Decorative Country Accent Bulb absolutely Free!....
    Just pay a separate shipping and handling free of $29.95

Act Now Supplies are limited......!!!!!!

I hear ya, ....What a PITAAAAAA
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think he wants ones that still function. (Hunter has been known to sell burned out ones.)

Yes, they do have LED and CFL, but they are all in a chunky plastic encasement which will look hideous through the glass of my wrought iron fixture. If the bulb wasn't visible then I could really care less.

Lol, hunter! I do have a stock pile of the standard 60w and the 40w ceiling fan bulbs and it seems as though they are still being made. I also found 150w, 200w, and 300w incandescent bulbs without issue. It seems that they have only stopped the 75w and the 100w ones. I put in the "100w incandescent replacement" which is a 73w halogen and the amount of light it emits is a joke. The light bulb that goes off in my head when I have an idea gives off more light than that thing does! I plan on taking them back to the store cause they are not worthwhile.

My fixture is rated for 100w, so I wonder if a 150w incandescent replacement is okay as it is a 105w halogen.........

What exactly are you looking for. I have a rather large supply on hand. If I've got it, I'll send you some.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There ya go....reading the "destructions" again......
    Does the bulb fit?....I mean screw in?....If it's to big it will get hot and ruin something....then you will have your answer...Don't Do That, any more......LOL

lol, hunter! You're still talking about lights, right?

Thanks Crash, I appreciate it. I am trying to find a suitable replacement because all my outdoor lights take the same thing. If this is the way of the future, I gotta figure it out somehow because it isn't going away. I am just irritated that a guy can't just walk into the hardware store to replace a bulb without the gov't stepping in and saying something about it. Sorry Uncle Sam, just trying to walk out the door without breaking my neck!

In the last month I have had two ceiling fan lights go, the oven light go, one headlight on the sentra go, and now the porch light go. Before this, I think it was two years since I changed a light! When it rains.....

Have you looked at florescent lights?

I'm surprised this one snuck up on you. The law was passed in 2007 to phase out incandescent bulbs altogether. There have been changes since the law passed, but you are right - wave of the future.

I like the LED lights (now that they are coming down in price) for their longevity and low usage cost.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm surprised this one snuck up on you. The law was passed in 2007 to phase out incandescent bulbs altogether. There have been changes since the law passed, but you are right - wave of the future.
    It's because incandescent light emits dangerous rays, and it's for the children.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I like the LED lights (now that they are coming down in price) for their longevity and low usage cost.
    The BS behind LED and CFL is that they will last longer, they may but the electronics in the base won't, I've had CFL's that didn't last a year.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by Cow_rancher
    It's because incandescent light emits dangerous rays

Welcome, I guess. So does the sun but no one is trying to change it. My personal experience with both L.E.D. and CFL has been very good. CFL's in my outside light generally last in the two year range and I have L.E.D. bulbs closing on the two year mark and running strong. I've never had either one bomb in less than a year. Perhaps it's the brand and not the technology.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome, cow_rancher.....
    There is an intro section to say Hello if you would care to....at

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

I haven't had any lights last long enough to warrant making a statement one way or another....but only been using the LED for a couple of years.

In the past different groups advertised Life time bulbs and sold them for about $10 bucks.....with a life time guarantee.
    But if it failed you had to send it back, for a free replacement, but pay for shipping both ways.....
    I gonna guess they were just plain bulbs and were depending on the fact that most people would not send them back for another $1 buck replacement.....if the address of the place was still valid.

I bring this up as the claims of the new bulbs remind me of the claims....

I knew that the bill was passed nearly ten years ago, but I didn't realize it was to demise incandescent altogether. I thought it was simply to make bulbs, in general, more efficient. Oh well. Time marches on and it isn't the end of the world.

I have been using CFL's inside, mostly because I keep finding them for free. I have been keeping an eye on the LED's for a while and have been wanting to use them in the garage. Those suckers are nice and bright and I think would work well in that setting.

Also, sense I have been looking into all this, it seems that incandescent bulbs 60w and under are safe. This stuff is supposedly going after 75w and higher. I guess the energy saved on the lesser watt bulbs aren't worth the cost of the bulb? Which is kinda interesting because nights lights are 7w and there are 1.4w led replacements available for them.

Some much info just to make light. Perhaps it is time to revert back to flame lighting!

Won't work. At least not on this forum. We tend to catch things on fire. With all the stored propane, camping fuel, gasoline with additives, black powder, ammo (for those that didn't lose it in the canoe wreck), and alcohol fuel. Well, it would not be pretty.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Have you ever read the clean up procedure for a broken CFL?
    https://www.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-bro...l#instructions

At work we have a box where employees can bring those things when they burn out. They get sent to a recycler that also takes our burnt out florescent ceiling lamps.
    There's also some truth to CFLs emitting a tiny amount of UV radiation.
    CFLs hate working in cold weather too. In the winter, the one I have outside has to be turned on about 10 minutes before I leave if I want to use it to see my way out to the driveway.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

On a related note........some time ago I read an article about an increase in traffic accidents in northern cities that had switched to LED's in their traffic signals. Seems that since they don't create heat, winter snows accumulate rather than melt off as they did with the older lights, covering them up and rendering those intersections a game of chance.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That was a concern in several of our cities.....around here.

Then add the fact that if the snow and ice on the roads doesn't stay there 24 -7 for 3 months.....everyone has to learn how all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Welcome, I guess. So does the sun but no one is trying to change it. My personal experience with both L.E.D. and CFL has been very good. CFL's in my outside light generally last in the two year range and I have L.E.D. bulbs closing on the two year mark and running strong. I've never had either one bomb in less than a year. Perhaps it's the brand and not the technology. [/COLOR]
    Thanks for the welcome, I guess... the dangerous rays was a tongue in cheek joke. Two years for an outside CFL is not what they are advertized as being able to do, the brand name was GE, or Sylvania. I bought a red one and green one for my frond door for Xmas, 2 months later... dead, they were what ever Wally world had.

I'll try to post more so I won't be the new guy, they'll probably ban me from SB soon anyway.

Rancher

Have tried the LED bulbs as an outside light...on the shed at "The Place"....outside, on 24-7....Haven't had any that lasted any longer than the old 60 watt bulbs...inside the glass...
    Bigger bulbs get hot and don't last at all.