Thread: Wild forest in West Europe

Default Wild forest in West Europe

Hello Everyone

I am planning a first week of survival week with some friends in West Europe, probably in France or Spain. Maybe in June or September.
    I am looking for a big, wild and beautifull forest. Any recommendation?

Thank you

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......
    There is an intro section if you would like to say hello and tell us about your self....at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Can't really help you out as this forum has mostly people from the USA.....but there are a few European members that stop in from time to time.
    Maybe one will come along with suggestions for Western Europe?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We have members from Spain and from France. Perhaps they can assist. In the interim, Google Search and Google Earth are your friends.

Blog Entries

The Mervant Forest in The Vendee region of France is really nice, mainly Pine as is the Ardeche and in Northern France the Argonne Forest is ancient broadleaved woodland. Been to all three, depends what you want.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I recommend finnish lapland in mid september...not western europe but still very beautiful google it...many people say that when you have seen it once,you'll have to see it every year

I'm thinking Mr. Lucas was a drive by......

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I agree Hunter, his mother must have caught him on the computer and sent him to his room.

The Google search I did, that he could have easily done, was enlightening.

It seems that western Europe is not much into "wild camping" and prefer their outdoorsmen be cloistered into the purpose built facilities made for this activity so they can be charged fees. Even backpackers are expected to seek the shelter of hostiles or sometimes the remote huts/booths built for them in the forests. Civilized camping?

Except for the refugee camps, which are illegal but tolerated until they get big enough to create a danger, then they are bulldozed.

However, the Scandinavian countries have a custom called "Everyman's Right" which allows camping anywhere as long as it is 100 meters from a dwelling and you leave it the way you found it, "no trace" as we call it. Squatting is not allowed, you are expected to be gone the next day. With the short summers and long hard winters they are not worried about "illegal settlements" as much as the countries to the south.

Eastern European countries also allow unsupervised camping in the forest, with the warning to be on the watch for bandits.

I did not encounter a single nation in Europe where an open campfire was legal! It is done, but it is not legal.

Sort of takes the edge off using primitive fire building skills as the measure of a woodsman. Why bother? It is much easier to light your stove with a Bic rather than a twist of flaming grass, which might get you run out of the campground!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-21-2016 at 12:28 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

So, no fiddle sticks?... Oh, I mean feather sticks....and no surviving off small animals, unless it's......Rattooy in wine sauce on a stick over a penny stove, with a nice red......and maybe with a side of funny fungi?.
    I mean you would be survivin' and all.......Right?

I'll venture to say that most of the US is not into "wild" camping. They want to be cloistered in purpose built facilities as well.

When I talk camping with the extended family I get the same questions.... how many bathrooms do they have? Are there electrical hookups? The reason I like backpacking is that the farther you are from cars, the less people.

Anyways, Scandinavia sounds like a great place to try out. I'm Scandinavian by blood, so maybe someday I will take a trip. When I lived in Poland, I would hike through the forests many times. I never camped. Just like anywhere else in the world, if you want to know where to go, look at google maps. First, zoom out to get the state or country or area of a continent that you want to go. Then zoom in to the green areas. Search through the green areas to pick a specific spot. It isn't that hard... and is half the fun of planning a trip!
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee