Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hijacking a Jeep, wirelessly???

Default Hijacking a Jeep, wirelessly???

This seems to be yet one more reason to get an older vehicle and put it into good, reliable, running condition. I found this article a bit disturbing. If you've been thinking about buying a new Jeep, maybe it's time to rethink that goal.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

Read more: http://survivalbunker.proboards.com/...#ixzz42td2X55I

That is scary.......bad enough with the "On Star" and all the other stuff....but when a hacker can stop your $50000 vehicle...???

Was at my Ford Dealer week or so ago....getting the spring service.....looking at the window stickers of various cars and trucks.
    The PRICES will make you wet your self.....alone but......

They list more internet, sound and on board computer systems on the sticker than standard equipment and options, ....car stuff etc.....????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think I'll just stick with my 1975 Ford F250 4x4 that I bought new in 1975. Runs great, is comfortable and easy to work on if necessary. It'll get me in and out of places I camp, hunt, and explore. No nerdy geek with a computer is gonna shut down my rig with a few mouse clicks, either.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Nothing like a little fire on a cold night to warm a man's feet.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I owned a Volkswagen 411 Wagon....long story but was a 1971/72/73.........
    Had an early version of electronic fuel injection.

A strong CD signal would cause the motor to cut out....as Iwas running the CB in the car.....but a trucker w/a 1000watt "kicker" could shut me down on the highway....

Ended up wrapping the "brain box" with was in the side panel on the passengers side.....with alum foil and small bubble wrap.
    It worked to block the signal.......
    Early EMP or just interference?

Nice truck....nice job keeping that way.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Jeep/Chrysler has been notorious for this for quite some time now, at least 15 years.

Part of it is due to all the computer systems being tied together and linked to the radio, for some ungodly reason. If your CD player locks up you can start having all kinds of strange problems!

The remote lock release operating through the radio allows access to all the other computer functions including the cruise control, so a simple radio signal accesses all the operations.

In turn, when you see the bogus tests of the affect of EMP on vehicles they ALWAYS use the Jeep Grand Cherokee, or some other Chrysler product, as their test model because it does not require a true EMP to shut it down, just a wireless network signal.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The part where they use a Samsung burner phone and a laptop and were able to access vehicles all across the country is scarier than being able to disable the jeep they were connected to.
    But heaven forbid we make software encryption that can't be hacked like this.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

They will just check the location of your smart phone, go where you are and poke holes in your tires. Easy peasy. OR they will look you up on the internet, go your your house and poke holes in your tires. Easy peasy. OR They will back trace your phone number, find your address, go to your place and poke holes in your tires. Easy peasy. OR they will hack the firearm database, find where you live, go to your house and steal all your bacon coupons. Yeah, I know. The world it going to heck in a basket.

That 1968 Dodge Hemi Power wagon 4 X 4 is looking gooder, and gooder....
    (still a nice truck SM)

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    I think I'll just stick with my 1975 Ford F250 4x4 that I bought new in 1975. Runs great, is comfortable and easy to work on if necessary. It'll get me in and out of places I camp, hunt, and explore. No nerdy geek with a computer is gonna shut down my rig with a few mouse clicks, either.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Nothing like a little fire on a cold night to warm a man's feet.

S.M.
    We had a 72 just like yours my dad bought it 2 or 3 years old drove it a long time then sold it to his brother who used it on the farm forever. When uncle went to sell the farm I said I wanted the truck, but I had to miss the auction for school. It sold for $400 and not to me either I still think about that truck I think there's probably 5 or 6 kids that learned to drive a stick on her.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I still driving my 1999 Ford F150....
    Love that truck, but it does have a onboard computer.

It controls a lot of stuff.
    I just had a bad plugwire/coil that showed up on the printout (running rough).

Back a year of so, my dealer was doing the smog emission testing for license plates, (only in 5 counties in south eastern Wisconsin still need it).

Guy says, "I can't get a reading from your computer to my computer....so can't pass it.
    Then is was, "Well what the heck am I supposed to do?
    Guy says I need a new computer,....bunch of money.....Just to just give them money and get new plates?

This truck is now registered out at "The Place" as that is where it spend most of it's time anyway.....
    What a crock of crappola.

I'm getting to really hate this technical stuff.

Along the same lines......
    Black boxes on your car/truck/motorcycle
    Safety vs Privacy.
    http://www.cbs58.com/story/31469154/...versus-privacy

The 1968 Power wagon is looking even gooder.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    "...
    (still a nice truck SM)"
    Thank you. I've tried to take care of it. I only use it for outdoor activities. When I lived in Calif., my wife and I owned a vacation cabin in the southern Sierra on the western slope. It was 150 miles from L.A. Went up there usually 10 or 11 times a year. Drove it to several western States elk, antelope, and deer hunting. It has a 10,000 lb. Reese towing package, although I only used it once to tow a friend's 19' trailer on an antelope hunt. Gem Top steel shell. A 360 V8 engine, auto trans. Two spare tires. If I want I can sleep in the back with no problem. I only have 97,000 miles on it, so expect to get a few more in the future.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I have an 07 Tundra, and although it is a fairly new truck, but it does not have the Toyota connect or any of that stuff, so a hacker would just be out of luck with my truck. It doesn't even have navigation which is the way I like it!

The 2008 F 250 Big Red is I the garage most of the time....my "Sunday truck"......mostly over the road....only 54K on that one.
    The 1999 has 128K, both were bought new.(Drove a company service truck for 12 years)

They last a long time if you take care of them....and like I said....those older trucks start looking better and better everyday.

The plain jane F-150 crew cab I just looked at had more tech stuff than I have ever seen on a truck.....

I have an F150 FX4 and I swear that thing is smarter than me. It laughs every time I get behind the wheel. There are more electronics in it than all of NASA used to put a man on the moon. Every once in a while I find a new button, push it and gringe. I think I programmed a time delay self destruct last week but I'm not sure. I can't figure out how I got there in the menu so I can't go back and check.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I totaled out an F150 back in 2008.

Was amazed when I read the workup of prices for needed repairs.

$4,500 for air bags and seat belts!!!

I remember the amount because that was the amount I paid for a new F150 back in 1975.

Just the airbags and seat belts in the new truck cost more than my complete 1975 4x4 f150.

My little Escape is not up to the present state of the art, but I still have lights I have never seen before appear on the dash readout. I have to google search some of them to find out what they indicate.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They are putting so much high tech crap in vehicles these days the prices are going up.
    If I wanted to by the same Tacoma I have now, I'd have to pay $10K more than I did in 2010.
    Not happening.

Rick, it's only a matter of time before the cellphone becomes an implanted chip in the interests of ''convenience.''
    I know a lot of people ready to stand in line for this. Not me.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I love chips. Probably more than I should. I like the crinkle cut kind better than the plain and some are just too salty. Winnie and I can do fish and chips anytime.

I can't see that ever happening. The FDA would declare it a medical device and then there would be a decades long war between the FDA and the FCC over who has jurisdiction. In the end, both will claim victory and the device manufacturers won't know which set of rules they have to meet. If they meet all the rules then someone will file suit and the FTC will wade in claiming unfair trades practices on the part of the manufactures and the FBI will still be scratching their heads trying to figure out if they can find a backdoor to it. And I don't even want to think about where you'd have to stick the plug to recharge it.

What Lokey says is all true. What Rick says can be true too. Except i can see it all happening already. Everything is all connected like a puzzle or a spiderweb. Soon groups of kids might be playing games with the chips in there heads. They might be in a room on the dark side so the lights wont bother them. Like television. They will be in closets to. Theyt wont like it when you open the door and let the light in and will screem. They wont wash or eat because the games will be pychologicly addictive. There going to get very very hungry. The super computer could dial them up at any time.

The future belongs to those who prepare for it today. To stop this its all about scrambling the signal. but once that they put the chip in your head it will be too late. you have to take the path untraveled to make a difference. I already made the moves to scrambeled the signals so Im ready. So when you come to a fork in the road take it.

I'm taking steps already. I eat a small amount of tin foil each day. I've noticed things are starting to become prepackaged so it must be doing some good. And if I come to a fork in the road, and it's in good shape, I'll take it and use it. Can't have too many forks.