Thread: New Project

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default New Project

I just got back from Harbor Freight and the hardware store.

My little 4inch bench vise died after 25 years hard use. I replaced it with a bigger model more suited to my uses,

I also stopped at the hardware store and laughed when the clerk asked if I found everything I needed.

I told her that I would not know until I was half way through the project and realized what I had not engineered properly.

It hit me that I had spent $30 on materials and would spend two days to build a gadget I could buy for $50!

Welcome to the life of a true Geezer.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I hear ya.

Don't forget the time on "engineering and development......."
    So what, pray tell, is the secret project?

Actually, as part of my day......
    Just got back for the Big Box home improvement center my self.....
    Screen door latch inside, is worn and jambs...so looking for a new one...but I have to buy the WHOLE assembly, not just the inside latch part.
    This mean the outside one is now "extra", and I can add it to the 4 other new outside latch's that I have around...and save for JIC....they never break, just the inside one goes bad.

Then I was walking back to the truck, and taking a short cut across a parking median, flower bed....empty now....a lady says, "Are you supposed to walk there?"
    Told her, "I living dangerously today, and later, I gonna run with scissors, eat candy and ruin my supper"

She gave me the "Geezer Look".....and huffed off.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My life long motto is that every project is a 3 trip to Ace Hardware project. Last week I moved the fridge in the garage and had to extend the water line for the ice maker. Three trips to Ace Hardware later I got it finished.

Yeah, most projects are at least a 3 tripper,... at least for plumbing.......and you need one and the come in a package of 5......

Sadly or not depending on how you look at it......
    The bad news is, I no longer have a service truck with all that stuff on board.....in the driveway.
    The good new is, I no longer have a service truck with all that stuff on board.....in the driveway.

Man ain't that the truth on the whole post. 'Specially that last part.

My shop has stuff that Ace didn't have . You know your known for the odd ball stuff when the guys are the hardware store tell people we don't have and can't get it but you might check with ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    My shop has stuff that Ace didn't have . You know your known for the odd ball stuff when the guys are the hardware store tell people we don't have and can't get it but you might check with ...
    LOL....Yup, it's good to have a "Guy........"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I keep the guys at Ace wondering about what I am putting together constantly.

them "What are you making?"

me "I can't tell you, you wouldn't understand what it is for."

Them "Well tell me, maybe I can help."

me "Nope you need plausible deniability."

them "Oh God that's three of you just this week!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Had a day a while back that the first thing in was a starter of an old studebaker , the second thing was a starter of a MG triumph and third was a metal case Souix 7" angle grinder . All were repaired within a hour of entering my shop . Then planed down a new pitman arm for a sickle bar mower. I think it was Farmall . Newest thing I worked on that day was over 40 years old.
    I often wonder how many other shops like mine are still out there . Had a guy walk in today and before he could say anything I looked at what was in his hand . I said " motor off a treadmill " he just stopped and said everywhere I been they asked what it is and you just tell m what it is . Motor was fine and I don't do circuitboards.
    New projects are fun . Think I will build an overshot water wheel this year.

The sounds like my welder guy.......can fix anything...but don't be in a hurry, and don't tell him how to do it....
    If he asks, wait until he asks again...that tells you he is really asking a question, not just checking to see if you know....LOL

Guys like y'all are hard to find...... Thanks for being there.