Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a .45 Colt better than a .44 mag?

Modern wheel weights contain no lead due to EPA standards. They are now a steel/zinc alloy.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Modern wheel weights contain no lead due to EPA standards. They are now a steel/zinc alloy.
    I believe you are correct.
    There are still a lot of lead or lead alloy out there on the clip on weights.

Mostly newer cars that have the alloy wheels have stick on weights.
    The stick-on's seem to be pure lead....or at least my "scratch test".

I just scratch each with an awl.......you can tell real fast how soft it is.
    I'm sure they will become a thing of the past very soon.

BTW Scratch test means handling them........
    Wear latex gloves, wear an apron, wash your hands.....and don't eat with your fingers .....they are still nasty.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Buntline .44 mag, with 10-1/2 barrel in the safe.....that had belonged to my BIL.
    It was stolen in a break-in years ago.

Many years later, MIL called, with the news the police had called her, as he now lived in Washington state.....that the police had recovered his Ruger and to come pick it up.

I drove her down to the police station, picked it up....
    It was in a plastic evidence bag......that actually had water pooled in it....and was rusted badly.

The was still 4 live rounds in the chamber as well as two spent rounds....all kinda green.

BIL called and told me to see if it could be repaired....so out to see my gun smith.

Gunsmith replaced a few springs, so it was in firing condition.....but removed the firing pin.

BIL moved back to Wisconsin....and he took it home.
    After he passed....I came back to me....so I had a new firing pin installed.

I does shoot, but leads easily, as the is pitting in the barrel....but also there are marks on the brass for bumps in the cylinders, that line up with the timing notches.

So it doesn't get shot much.
    Suggestions to return it to Ruger for replacement, I have just procrastinated on doing that....as this has a storied history....and don't want to lose that.
    Sadly, the evidence bag,.... MIL tossed it.

That's a dirty shame Hunter! That was a nice gun before it rusted!

Yeah, and was a shooter as well......That long barrel......really put them in there.

There was a about 15 year gap in the time it had been stolen....and the call to come a get it....
    Was kind of amazing that the police actually identified it, found the report, and located the person and next of kin and returned it.
    ....And was still loaded!
    The lettering on the bag was hard to read.....but the paper tag on the trigger guard was readable.

Looks like some one actually tried to sand down some of the rust.......as the is a shiny spot on the frame and part of the barrel.

Always wanted to do the.... cowboy 6 gun in each hand... shoot ....But not with a pair of .44 mags.....LOL

Can the barrel be changed on it? Send it in to Ruger?

I'm afraid they wouldn't send it back........

Or it might take 15 years if they do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have heard of some one that did send one in.... and received a new "replacement"...that was quite a while ago,.......most likely you would get a discount on a new one.

No, this one means more to me "as is" with the story and memories that goes with it.
    If I "have to shoot something" with it, works just fine.....but will never be a take to the range and play Dirty Harry with it....No.

Can a gunsmith change the barrel? I know the sentimental value. I just thought it might be nice to make it a real shooter again. I have an old Higgins SXS that I inherited from an uncle. He had let the crown rust, somehow, to the point it was pretty thin metal in one spot. I was afraid to light it off for fear it would split the barrel. I finally took it to a smith and had the crown machined down 3/8" to good metal and rebead it so I can at least chase some squirrels with it. I'm really big on heirlooms. They mean a LOT to me. But it's nice when that sentimentality can meet up with functionality. And then there are the boys that will inherit them from us. Well, if we had any that is. What with the canoe accident and all.

Yeah Hunter I don't blame you! I have an old shotgun that was my dads. I want it just the way he left it because it is the only thing I have that he owned!

The older model BLACKHAWK.45 colt can be loaded hotter than the sbh.in.44 mag...using W296 /H110.
    Layne Simpson had an article some years ago on that subject and favored the .45 over the .44 mag. for all intent and purpose, they will both do IF you do your part.....its like comparing .270 Winchester to the .284 Winchester to the .280 remmy........any real difference will not be appreciated by your moose......yes,i have an old model 3 screw SBH 1960 VINTAGE in .44 mag and also a OLD ARMY with a KIRST .45 Colt conversion cylinder.... if hunting moose,in ALASKA,either will do.... just be sure you have your rifle handy,'cause when ''old moss foot'' comes to eat the gut pile, you might still be there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And remember,concerning firearms and loads,this is still the internet.....
    get some good,verified reading material.... good luck
    damn, i can't be hungry,AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WASATCH CHARLIE View Post
    The older model BLACKHAWK.45 colt can be loaded hotter than the sbh.in.44 mag...using W296 /H110.
    Layne Simpson had an article some years ago on that subject and favored the .45 over the .44 mag. for all intent and purpose, they will both do IF you do your part.....its like comparing .270 Winchester to the .284 Winchester to the .280 remmy........any real difference will not be appreciated by your moose......yes,i have an old model 3 screw SBH 1960 VINTAGE in .44 mag and also a OLD ARMY with a KIRST .45 Colt conversion cylinder.... if hunting moose,in ALASKA,either will do.... just be sure you have your rifle handy,'cause when ''old moss foot'' comes to eat the gut pile, you might still be there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And remember,concerning firearms and loads,this is still the internet.....
    get some good,verified reading material.... good luck
    Thanks Charlie!!

I like the .45 Long Colt. I think the ideal gun to shoot it in is a S&W .460, but even with a Buffalo Bore round or Underwood (very +P), I wud not want to be up against a bear with only 45LC. I would load my .460 with a couple of .45 LC, then follow it up with 454 Casull & ultimately w/ 460. A chief thing to remember with any wheel gun, is not to put your hand or fingers in front of the wheel lest you lose fingers by being burned off by the hot gases escaping sideways out the wheel. If you use a .460 or a 454 Casull gun (like Raging Judge Taurus -- not other Judge models!) after checking with manufacturer, you should not have to worry about the gun not being able to handle a hopped up .45 LC. The beauty of a .460 is that you can shoot also 454 & 45LC in it. However, I have heard that a .460 brand of lever action rifle will not cycle 45LC -- so again, check with manufacturer. I don't think there is any problem with a 460 revolver handgun shooting 45LC.
    Last edited by GumBoocho; 01-09-2018 at 07:58 PM.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have been a handgun hunter since I was eighteen years of age and could legally carry and hunt with one. Granted, most of the time it was small game that I was hunting but I did hunt Black Bear, deer and Feral hogs. I used both the 45LC and the 44 Mag. I hand loaded at that time and loaded some HOT 45LC loads. I also bought some stiff 45LC loads from Buffalo Boar and took them wild boar hunting. The BB 45LC load positively flattened the boar that I shot. I kept trading off my 44Mag and 45LC revolvers, as the recoil bothered me. I did have a 454 Casull for about a week. The recoil about broke my wrist and tore he skin off of my palm! (Traded that on off fast!!!) AS many of you know from my posts in recent years, I have undergone multiple shoulder surgeries. I am now back to handgun hunting, as I can not raise a long gun to my shoulders. Even though I now have a permit to hunt from a vehicle, I still can not shoot a long gun. SO----Friday I traded off my unfired Henry Big Boy .327 Federal Mag for a Taurus Raging Bull 44Mag. I chose the Ragging Bull because it comes ported, and my experience with Taurus 44Mgs has been very favorable. Now if the 200 inches of snow we have (so far) would just melt down, I will be out practicing and filling out applicatians for a bear tag. Or out chasing a big wild boar.
    Geezer Squad #2