Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I ordered 100 food grade 3-layer foil stand up pouches. diy dehydrated rations

I have made up some with ramen, but using only a portion of the seasoning and supplemented by my own spice and herb mixes and more substantial food.

I was thinking exactly that thing about bringing separate stable oil/fat sources along. I'm partial to cooking oil, especially for it's versatility, and peanut butter because I like to stuff my face with peanut butter. I just don't want any significant amount in the dry meals themselves for storage stability considerations. Even the cous cous starts to turn much more quickly than I would like (though I like it far too much not to include it in my menu).

Thank you all again for your contributions. Every one of you have been helpful and it is appreciated, even when I'm being argumentative.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I think its a great idea.

You get to eat exactly what you want.
    You know exactly what is in it.
    Its affordable.
    It serves your needs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Your right. You want to store the fat separately, if at all. If I was individually making meals now, and planned to store them long term, then I would buy a bunch of #10 cans of freeze dried stuff and mix my own meals. Then, when the trip was close by, I would raid the store for the jerky and summer sausage and cheese and other fatty stuff. Mix them together during the cooking time.

My last trip I really craved fatty stuff. Luckily I had jerky and cheese and summer sausage. Next time I plan to bring more of that stuff and less sugary stuff.

Another idea for breakfast (or other meals) is to mix protein powder with the oatmeal.

Also, going along with what KYRS said earlier. Stopping for dinner before you get to camp is a good plan. The biggest reason is bear avoidance. You cooking/eating area will get flooding with food smells. Not eating where you are sleeping is always the best to keep the bears away.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I have thought about the protein powder idea but for whatever reason it really badly aggravates my arthritis.

Similarly, for stuff like the mashed potatoes I intend to add hummus mix. Great for flavor and protein, though I was surprised how much dietary protein instant potatoes actually had, but not all proteins are created equal and it's good to vary them as much as possible.

I'm right with you on the bear consideration. I grew up in the greatest concentration of humanized camp and neighborhood bears I've ever encountered since and the impression it made on me is enough to last a lifetime.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.