Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical knives

Default Tactical knives

Hi I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue with the tactical black paint on knives? It seems to me that I'd have paint always coming off or what not.. Any issues whatsoever? Are they safe for hunting and eating with?
    Why are they around so much more than the standard silver and why have they seemed to take over as the new way?

I do not buy anything that is "tactical" because what makes something tactical is now how it is designed but how it is used. That being said, I am not sure what you are referring to as paint on a knife. If you could post a pic of what you are referring to, that would be helpful. I carry a Kershaw folder in my pocket everyday with a black finish and I have not had an issue with it. I've had it for about three years now and use it for everything from opening packages to employment as an eating utensil.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

They are popular due to marketing. There is a large segment of the population that wants tacticool. Before that became a buzz word they were just called coated knives. Some coatings are better than others. For some, they do serve the function of helping to prevent rust. For others, they reduce glare ---- which really isn't a big deal for most people, but I did send a few knives to Afghanistan and Iraq where it was a bigger issue.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I do not buy anything that is "tactical" because what makes something tactical is now how it is designed but how it is used. That being said, I am not sure what you are referring to as paint on a knife. If you could post a pic of what you are referring to, that would be helpful. I carry a Kershaw folder in my pocket everyday with a black finish and I have not had an issue with it. I've had it for about three years now and use it for everything from opening packages to employment as an eating utensil.
    Oh ok.. Black paint on a knife. Local stores are calling it tactical because of black paint. Im talking black paint on the knife blade.

Paint is not an ideal coating for the reasons that you stated. Coated blades that are done properly go through a much more detailed process than painting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, what crash said. He makes knives as a hobby. He does really good work and he really knows what he is talking about.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If your knife has black paint on it you need to be looking into other knives.

My own preference leans toward carbon steel blades and they normally take a dark patina with age so neither glare or peeling finish creates a problem.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by itcanbdone View Post
    Hi I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue with the tactical black paint on knives? It seems to me that I'd have paint always coming off or what not.. Any issues whatsoever? Are they safe for hunting and eating with?
    Why are they around so much more than the standard silver and why have they seemed to take over as the new way?
    Called marketing.....Paint it black, give it a tactical name and triple the price.

I guess I don't see a problem with paint on the blade...if that is what it is?
    Mostly is powder coat paint that is put on with high heat.

If it's just plain paint....may not be a good knife.

Got a couple or black or olive colored blades, and they do seem to wear the coating a bit,... but I never gave it a thought as to any danger.

I'm a fan of carbon knives as well.....and they get stained with use.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Everyone needs to quit buying "painted" knives, then maybe they'll quit putting "paint" on them ! Most of the times its not paint anyway but some sort of powder coat, or epoxy. Give me good old fashioned carbon steel blades with a patina on it - worked for hundreds of years !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

But....... But........ But, I thought Tactical made everything more gooder and worth more money??

I actually saw a knife advertised as Tacticool, What the heck is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    But....... But........ But, I thought Tactical made everything more gooder and worth more money??

I actually saw a knife advertised as Tacticool, What the heck is that?
    Tacticool is where they coat the blade with a cold process chemical bonding agent that is impervious to the elements, and attracts fools that want to part with their hard earned money !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I can remember when even the military was not "tactical", issuing us shiny brass and silver rank insignia, belt buckles and bright name tags!

In the late 1960s they decided to change the colors and paint the insignia dull colors so as to not get quite as many folks shot.

The term used for those changes was not "tactical" it was called "subdued", probably because it was used in both combat and noncombat operations.

Tactical was a term we only used if we were dealing with a situation when one was about to be shot, not going to the mall.

The tacticule stuff ranks right up there with fishing lure stuff.
    It isn't being sold to suit a purpose. It's being sold to part you from your money.

Eating flakes of baked-on enamel probably isn't a good idea.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

When I own a knife I like to see the metal, even if it is tarnished old metal!

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    The tacticule stuff ranks right up there with fishing lure stuff.
    It isn't being sold to suit a purpose. It's being sold to part you from your money.

Eating flakes of baked-on enamel probably isn't a good idea.
    I ingested some gold flakes whilst drinking Goldschlager schnapps, and didn't die......?

There is a tacticool knife company. wwwtacticoolnives.com

$15 for plain vanilla bowie knife, add $70 for nifty blood red blade.

H63, There is someone out in your outhouse, digging for gold...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I have another question.

At what height/weight ratio do things strapped to ones' body stop being tactical and flip over to comical?

Is there an age limit or can I camo paint my mobility scooter?

and is there a rule that says when I take my AR to the range I have to either wear camo or a ball cap/golf shirt/jeans, preferably from the Gap?

Will the gun still shoot if I wear my bib overhauls?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-13-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    H63, There is someone out in your outhouse, digging for gold...
    I thought I saw Hunter digging for gold earlier..... Perhaps he was just fixin' a wedgie?!

Always some one watching.....LOL.....
    At least I didn't turn blue from ingesting silver...or so I've heard tell.