Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Questoin..How old are we?

Default Weird Questoin..How old are we?

Sorry if this is stupid since I'm new myself, but how old is this forum?

The forum boasts of like 16,000 members. It doesn't seem super active, but there are a lot of regular posters I see here. It currently says we have 173 people here browsing the forum now (which doesn't include guests I don't think).

It was started in 2007.

Would you guys say this is an active forum? Is it gaining members or becoming less popular?

A lot of it seems to be seasonal. Some register just to read content, some drop in on occasion, some move on to other pursuits. Active? Sure. Maybe not as active as many.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There are always a lot of unregistered guests reading through the forum. So popular is really a relative term. Since the forum is consistently at the top of the search engines it draws in a lot of unregistered guests via searches. From that a percentage will register. As for active members, what Crash said. As I write, there are 92 folks on the forum. Only 4 of those are members. However, here is a list of the members that were logged on in the last 24 hours. So, we have a few even if they don't post regularly.

Something else to consider. The owner has set this forum to automatically log people out after a period of inactivity (I believe it is 15 minutes). Some forums appear to have 500 people on line at a time where they really only have a few, but the rest don't log off and are not automatically logged off. I much prefer to see who is actually on line.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Success also depends on how you view the mission of a forum.

If it is to provide information to those searching for knowledge then we serve that function daily, staying at the top of the google index on our subject matter.

If it is to provide a discussion board for explanation of relevant topics that is also available through Q&A threads, which are also popular here. As a group we provide several thousand years of outdoor knowledge, available at the click of the mouse.

If it is to serve as a gathering place for people with similar interests and a conversation platform, we do that extremely well. We are one of the few places where many of the members know each other face to face even though separated by a whole continent. Others have been engaged in correspondence off the boards for years and we feel we know each other well.

The forum world has shrunk in size since 2012. There were once dozens of forums on the internet and most of them had 3-4 regular contributors and wanted no more. Some were one or two persons posting as a horde and I knew of one where 5-6 people used the same screen name and password. It was like communicating with a schizophrenic!

Some of them became bases for the horde of crazies. Only one of those "supersized", anything goes forums still survives. That board actually kept a 2012 discussion section going until late last year, they are awaiting the imminent fall of society, the financial system, the social structure, the food delivery network, cannibalism and hopefully the end of How I Met Your Mother reruns !

WSF has remained alive, active and a source of information and conversation while most of the "survivalist" forums shriveled and died.

A lot of that is due to the work of the moderators weeding out problems early, the members pointing out problems early, our staying on the "wilderness survival" and personal security subject matter, and avoiding SHTF and EOTWAWKI fantasies that draw crazies like a magnet.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-07-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

.....and the forum isn't selling anything....like some forums...which promote their products and gear.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

So many people log in, make an into, then never post anything else. It's frustrating. Join, talk, share.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Another "type of member" to note is that we get a lot of people doing research for (pick one) a book, a blog, a website, a movie, a school project, an app and on and on. They really don't have all that much interest in what goes on here - they just want answers to whatever questions they have. I will note ---- if the questions are realistic and presented in a friendly manner they get answered. If not, well that a whole 'nuther story.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've noticed some new members start to channel some of the older banned members, it's eerie
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I don't post often on here but I read almost everyday and sometimes am on several times a day. The group who does the most posting here is generous with their time, experience and sarcasm, all of which I greatly appreciate.

The important wilderness/survival topics are covered thoroughly and with wit, and while trolls are not tolerated (but are toyed with as a cat plays with a mouse before the cat KILLS it), newbies are treated more gently by most and made to feel very welcome. Questions are answered and to me, this is one of the most civil forums I have ever been part of.

Ok, you all can send your payments to me now.....
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

....How much was that again.....?

I'm curious as to the purpose of the original query in this thread. Does the age of the forum really have an impact on the quality of the information available here? My two cents: Look around here and dig into topics that interest you. If you like what you find, then enjoy!

I was here posting quite a bit a few years ago. Then I got busy with work and life. I rejoined the forum via tapatalk (under JennLashua1973). Then the smartphone I was using at the time fried itself with an automatic update from Samsung. So I went back to the computer mode and figured out how to reset my password. and now LB is back. I dont post as much as I used to, but I do spend a bit of time reading and catching up. I would definitely say this forum is a success tho. Trolls and whackadoodles aside.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Yo, LB, Welcome back....we kept the light on for ya......

Quote Originally Posted by InfantryAmerican View Post
    Sorry if this is stupid since I'm new myself, but how old is this forum?

The forum boasts of like 16,000 members. It doesn't seem super active, but there are a lot of regular posters I see here. It currently says we have 173 people here browsing the forum now (which doesn't include guests I don't think).

I would describe it as meh.
    Need something fun to read? Find a whole world of books at
    RottenApplePublishing

Age? I just turned 60 last month.....

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Age? I just turned 60 last month.....
    Me too, but last June so I am creeping up slowly, very slowly on 61.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I've got a couple of months before I hit the 60.........I know, I know.....kids.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel