Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Water - I'm surprised there's no threads on this...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I do not know if you understand exactly WHO we can thank for the sudden appearance of all these tiny, inexpensive filters.

It is the kidney dialysis industry!

Dialysis technology has been transferred to the water purification process and due to the research into cheap, disposable filters for removal of impurities from the blood we now have a multitude of options for water purification.

I am partial to the Sawyer products due to their wide selection of units for all uses at reasonable prices. I have sent several missionaries into the field with the Sawyer Mini and at least one of them came home and purchased a large family size unit and sent it back to Tanzania for use by his host family. The bigger units have even better filters than the backpacking models.

It is estimated that 80% of the deaths world wide are due to lack of pure water.

That sort of means that you never develop an "immunity" to the bad water or that would not be the case.

What does not kill you does not necessarily make you stronger, its just killing you so slowly you don't notice it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-06-2016 at 03:27 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Oh for pete's sake...

I also subsist completely from eating only dirt.

I'm trying to sell a bridge too...
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Don't do it for my sake.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I confess I have not met many soilatarians. That must difficult to get good protein.

What's the story on the bridge? I tried to buy one once but found out it was A Bridge Too Far so I gave up. By the way, Pete eats that kind of stuff but only moss. (Get it? Pete Moss...Peat Moss? I slay myself)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bridge_Too_Far_(film)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ..... By the way, Pete eats that kind of stuff but only moss. (Get it? Pete Moss...Peat Moss? I slay myself)
    Consider yerself slain. lol
    I only eat that stuff after I boil it.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

we've got a well and the ability to power it if grid goes down.

Have about 12,000 gallons of available water including pool.

Have several filters from life straws to big berkeys and several in between. Plus a dozen filters for each.

Ability as last resort to boil water.

Each vehicle has a car kit and BOB's each has a couple ways to gather as well as filter water.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Like I said, I've looked at all the products and I like the Sawyer filter because it has been made to marketed commercially. Also, as someone else mentioned, it's approved by Special Forces and used by the military.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It is estimated that 80% of the deaths world wide are due to lack of pure water.

That sort of means that you never develop an "immunity" to the bad water or that would not be the case.

What does not kill you does not necessarily make you stronger, its just killing you so slowly you don't notice it.
    Very true! To the OP, if you weren't so new here you'd see there have been hundreds of discussions about water. For our purposes it depends on what you're looking at, wilderness survival for someone that gets lost or injured while in the boonies or some kind of SHTF situation where civilization has gone TU. The reason bad water kills so many world wide is that there's a lot of grinding poverty- no safe source of water and no medical care. What would be in inconvenience in the West can be fatal in the "3rd world". So it depends on what you're filtering and what you need to accomplish. I have a couple of Lifestraws but so far I've not used one. I also have a bunch of Israeli chlorine dioxide tabs along with some American made stuff. That will kill the bugs but it won't do anything to take chemicals out of the water (eg gasoline, benzene, lead and other toxic metals, etc). Realistically no portable filter that I know of can deal with all of those things. In the woods if I'm in a bad situation I'll boil if I can or use a filter or disinfectant tablet. Worst case I'll just drink the water since most waterborne illnesses can be treated while death by dehydration cannot.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I did lose one friend to Amoebic Dysentery, but that was from drinking untreated water in one of those "have too" situations.

Even then it took 15 years for the bug to kill him.

It was not from a wilderness source anywhere in North America.

I have always suspected that the raw water in the urban or industrial areas was more dangerous than anything you will find in less developed areas of North America.

My son harvests water from a spring, has had it tested, and it is as pure as anything on earth while 25 miles away drinking from a stream would be certain illness with the possibility of brain damage from industrial wastes.

But the thing that really gets to me is the insistence of us "outdoor types" to demand a water purifier or filter that provides better water than what comes out of our taps at home! I get a water quality report from my provider twice a year and it is not guaranteeing me %99.99999% purity, but it is still inside the normal and required health standards.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

True, but if I have the choice of two filters on a shelf where one is much more efficient than the other I'm picking that one. I figure I'm worth it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    True, but if I have the choice of two filters on a shelf where one is much more efficient than the other I'm picking that one. I figure I'm worth it.
    Basically my thinking here.

I'm not strongly for the prepper craze such that I believe that zombies will overrun us if we have an apocalypse and I need to design a survival bunker with that specifically in mind...yet, I'm for self-sufficiency and defensibility, and I'll nonetheless have too much fun if I were to win some big lottery. Already have my designs and blueprints in my head. But, no, I'm not telling anybody anything. One dilemma though...I'd at least want some short-wave radio capability on site, but can't someone zero in on you if you broadcast too much?

Don't know about lately, but I remember long ago with my water bill from my city I got a flyer which showed how they had won first place nationwide a few times on quality and even taste tests. Makes me think about this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGWn-aWn5g

Afterthought - the link has some vulgarity. hope that's ok (??)
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-07-2016 at 02:07 AM.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    But the thing that really gets to me is the insistence of us "outdoor types" to demand a water purifier or filter that provides better water than what comes out of our taps at home! I get a water quality report from my provider twice a year and it is not guaranteeing me %99.99999% purity, but it is still inside the normal and required health standards.
    Unless you live in Flint, MI!

In all seriousness, I would only use a filter for camping since I do find myself deep into the woods at times. I have only lost water to my house a few times, the longest was a day and a half. Went to the store and got a five gallon drum and the next day we were okay. Growing up in Iowa, we had a massive flood back in 1993 that put us on "boil alert" for nearly a month. Showers, toilets, and laundry was okay. Dishes, cooking and drinking was another story. It was summer time, so I went to mee-maw's house and we spent all day boiling water and filling up 3 gallon buckets with the water so the whole family wouldn't have to deal with it in the evening after work. Quite a chore for an 8 year old!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

When recently we had a big tornado a couple miles from me and lost water for a while, it rained heavily for a couple days. I went outside and put some buckets and tubs under the roofs in certain places to get water for flushing my toilet. Others were too lazy to do it, and had stinky toilets for a while. Der.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree
    I'd at least want some short-wave radio capability on site, but can't someone zero in on you if you broadcast too much?

Don't broadcast if that's a concern. You can use it to monitor happenings, in many cases, globally depending on your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What does it take to be a good damn Geezer Squad member?
    I figure there are 3 levels. Whipper-snapper, O.F.I.T. and Geezer. OFIT is "Old Fart In Training ".

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by satokarski View Post
    I figure there are 3 levels. Whipper-snapper, O.F.I.T. and Geezer. OFIT is "Old Fart In Training ".

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....

The is an intro section to say hello at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Am Yeah, we have some F.A.R.T.s around as well.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What does it take to be a good damn Geezer Squad member?
    You have to have socks older than me!
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Hey, have you guys seen this cool new product that you can use to purify water? It can save your life.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Nice review.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel