Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh Water - I'm surprised there's no threads on this...

Default Fresh Water - I'm surprised there's no threads on this...

How are you guys going to find fresh water in a SHTF scenario? I know there's a lot of debate about water filtration and cleaning systems.

Personally, my solution is this. I have like a whole box of these. Urban, rural, rainwater, mud puddles - whatever. This thing just filters everything out (except chemicals).

I went on a hike a few weeks ago with a small group I met on facebook, and I saw people using tablets and different systems of purifying water. The tablets took like an hour, and the one dude got diphtheria because his system failed! I mean, some people were carrying pounds of crap on a three day hike just to purify water, and meanwhile I had this little thing.

Does anybody else have fresh water solutions? I just fell in love with this thing and was wondering what other people thought. I know there's a "life straw" which is basically a way cheaper version, but I like this better.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Your friend is now famous!

He is one of the 4 cases of U.S. diphtheria reported to the CDC in the past 5 years!

Also one of the few people left that was not vaccinated for the disease in childhood as a requirement for entering public school or as part of the bank of shots given in the military.

We have had many threads on water purification here, and a thorough discussion of the Sawyer filter several times, along with the Lifestraw, the Katadian filters and many chemical treatment systems.

Apparently you did not type in Sawyer filter, Lifestraw or water purification into the search feature.

Here is a link to discussions about or mentioning your chosen brand.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...archid=2156976
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-05-2016 at 01:28 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Here is a link to discussions about or mentioning your chosen brand.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...archid=2156976
    That link didn't work....
    Try this one..several mentions of the Sawyer System.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...archid=2157030

Yeah water has been covered many times....but doesn't hurt to revisit.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-05-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Huge fan of lightweight sawyer squeeze - takes very little room in a pack
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Sorry to get everyone angry.

I don't think anybody got, or will get angry.

We have, and do discuss water filters quite a bit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by InfantryAmerican View Post
    Sorry to get everyone angry.
    Humm....????
    Just trying to be helpful.

Going on a 3 day hike is a little different from a SHTF scenario. Those little life straws...how many gallons are they good for?
    What else is in the water that those straws aren't filtering out? Various dissolved things and I don't believe they can catch some viruses either.
    What happens when all of your filters are gone, the bleach is gone, the potable aqua tabs are gone?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Boil it.......I'm a filer and boil guy....
    But do carry a life straw in my bags.

What does it take to be a good damn Geezer Squad member?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What does it take to be a good damn Geezer Squad member?
    If you have to ask you just aren't ready yet and fall into the young wiper-snapper category.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When you make a special trip to Walmart to look for .22's....but look longingly at the Geezer Bench in the front of the store Hummm....,22's or Take a rest.....
    Good first indication.

There is a graph that tracks age and experience in relationship to dumb things you did and got away with, along with a series of questions you have to navigate.

Things like how old is your oldest scar that was not surgically induced. Do you own an operating firearm that was manufactured before 1935. What is the first thing you look for when entering a restaurant. How many heart attacks have you experienced and how many life sustaining meds you are on.

Bonus points are given if you can identify Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Col Charles Askins, Skeeter Skelton, and actually read Jeff Cooper's columns and editorials while he was still alive.

One of the primary requirements is that you need to be able to tell someone on the internet they are a dumbA$$ without saying anything that will get YOU banned, and they don't realize it until sometime latter that night after they lay down in bed and think about it for a while!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-05-2016 at 09:20 PM.

What was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Going on a 3 day hike is a little different from a SHTF scenario. Those little life straws...how many gallons are they good for?
    What else is in the water that those straws aren't filtering out? Various dissolved things and I don't believe they can catch some viruses either.
    What happens when all of your filters are gone, the bleach is gone, the potable aqua tabs are gone?
    As for all this stuff, the Lifestraw is good for one year of water for one person, 1,000 liters, and it is good for 99.9999%of the contaminants. The life straw was not designed for hikers, it was designed for distribution to refugees in 3rd world countries where SHTF is an everyday experience.

If I remember correctly the company that makes Lifestraw is a nonprofit organization that only sells the Lifestraw commercially to finance their charity and relief work. When you buy a straw it pays for two or three more that go to Africa, Asia or South America.

The Sawyer Mini is good for 100,000 gallons. It is also good for all the 9s and is one of the systems approved for Special Forces use world wide.

In addition to that there are many ways to filter and chemically treat water for long term conditions such as disaster relief. I have some big tablets about the size of a hocky puck that were given to me by a FEMA medical response supervisor. One puck will turn a polluted swimming pool into drinkable water in 24 hours.

And there is boiling for various lengths of time to insure different levels of purity.

It's the newbies that get all torn up over water purification methods, because as you go along you learn all the ways water can be filtered, treated and made safe and like looking at your back trail, you just do it without worrying about it.

For one thing, if you do not have water for several days you are going to die. If you have to drink raw creek water to stay alive there is the chance that you will get rescued before you crap yourself to death, or think you are going too.

Having the trots is bad, but dead is bad too.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-05-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If you have to ask you just aren't ready yet and fall into the young wiper-snapper category.
    Sad but true - what if I have three good ideas?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Embrace snapper-dum....Geezer-ism get less fun everyday....

Quote Originally Posted by InfantryAmerican View Post
    ...and I saw people using...
    In addition to the other one, I clicked the link for saw. And I'm still trying to figure out how you treat water with a handsaw.

My strategy is that for a while now I just drink straight from raw sources - creeks, and any old dirty puddle on the ground, etc. Just a little at a time, a little more each time. After a while I become immune to stuff, and now I can quench my thirst right from any sewer.

post edit - well, it seems that saw isn't a link anymore. My joke isn't funny anymore. If it ever was. That's just not fair.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-06-2016 at 12:15 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Good info here, and interestingly enough I have been looking at some myself. I have always used boil or tabs in the past, but I keep thinking a small filter couldn't hurt to have in the bag.

The original Lifestraw is one I have been considering. It is good up to 1000 liters/264 gallons and guaranteed for a year after purchase. Locally, they can be had for $20. Life straw also has models that are capable of handling up to 18,000 liters/4,755 gallons for around $100.

Sawyer seems to have a multitude of options compared to lifestraw. They also offer many "inline" filters you can install on your own set ups. It seems like it is a lot cheaper that route if you are going to set up a decent sized camp for a week or more. Get you a bucket, install a fitting, add some hose, install filter, and enjoy water for a while.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have been reading up on this one up lately. The MSR Gardian is an awsome filter. It treats up to 10,000 liters. It can freeze. Drop 6' onto concrete. Built with military specs in mind. Filters water at 2.5 liters per minute, while cleaning it's filter at the same time. It would take me longer to unpack it than it would to filter my water rations. lt weighs approximately one pound(I think) which is close to the weight of .5l of water. It filters bacteria, viruses, and protozoa. It seams like a very good backpacking filter. I don't have one and I can say it is because it costs $350.00 and something like $150.00 for a replacement filter. But if I save my money one day soon I might be able to afford one of those $20.00 lifestaws.There's a video on youtube of them testing it in Peru, and they are drinking some nasty water. But I don't know how to post links and I'm too lazy to learn, at least for now, sorry.
    If you wanted to set something up at home on some land. People are doing amazing things with mushroom mycelium