Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killed my first pig

Tool & Die Maker

Default Killed my first pig

Wanted to include you folks in hog hunt report. I worked on this for 2 months here in Florida and gave up at one point then I met up with some great people here in the RV resort. My original hunting partner was from Canada but they developed health issues and never made it to Florida. I tried hunting alone but my hunting experience has been with duck and geese so I was far from being in my comfort zone. Below is a copy of the email I sent to many of my friends.

Killed my first pig tonight with my 12 gauge slug. Made a new friend at the campground interested in hog hunting. Turns out this guy is quite a sportsman and is gifted WITH an outstanding hearing ability. More on him.

Ken and I have been setting up the wild hogs all week putting out 50-lb of corn for bait. I learned a coffee can full of corn won't get their interest. By coordinating feeding times along with a game trail camera we determined the best time for a hog ambush. I would put out 50-lb of corn around 3:00 pm for an evening hunt. Venturing out at 7:00 pm we discovered 90% of the corn had already disappeared. The game camera showed the hogs eating the bait at 6:00pm. Last night we hunted until 9:15 pm before we left. The game camera recorded us leaving the blind at 9:15 then recorded the hogs eating our bait at
    9:21. The hogs were eating our bait before we were in our cars heading for home, well RV.

Today I set out another 50-lb of corn at 3:00 pm and we were in the blind by 6:00pm. It was only a few minutes before the hogs began to appear from all directions, headed for the piles of corn. This was broad daylight. I got ready to take a shot with the crossbow but couldn't decided if I should shoot a little pig or a big one. What a thrill to see all these pigs in daylight 20-40 feet away. Something spooked the hogs and they ran off before I got a shot off. I was so mad at myself for not taking a shot. Ken said, they will be back.

We waited and waited until it was pitch dark all the while mad at myself for not taking a shot while it was daylight. Next, 7:30 pm, Ken whispered to me, "the pigs are coming back". Then Ken told me to point the shotgun at the bait pile and wait. Finally, I could hear them coming. The jungle floor sounded as if it were alive with all the pigs. Then I could hear a "grunt grunt" about 25 feet away. All this in total darkness. Ken tapped me on the shoulder and I could see he had the spotlight ready to light up the hogs. The spotlight turned ON and Ken said, see them, see them. I took aim, it was all I could do to see the gun sights in the darkness. I felt like everything was lined up so I fired. A little 40-lb pig rolled over and thrashed around. It was a clean kill. The pig never knew what hit him. Hit in the shoulder and out the top of the head. Rifled slug is a wicked shotgun load.

We field dressed the pig and skinned it. It is now in a cooler with 20-lb of ice and some lemon juice.

Couldn't of done this without Ken.

Tomorrow night Ken gets to shoot a pig. Jim

Congratulations. I know you've been working on this for quite a while writing letters and trying to get set up to do it. I'm glad you had success.

Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Congratulations.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Congrats. Nice to see your plan came together.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice! Congrats!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Mmm bacon. Congratulations!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Tool & Die Maker

We killed 2 more hogs tonight.
    From Homosassa Florida
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jim Glass; 03-05-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Given the choice shoot the little pig. Easier to drag.

Tool & Die Maker

Yes on the little pigs. Easier to field dress as well. Most of us in the hunting group are more than 1200 miles from home. No garage or barn in an RV resort for butchering hogs. Trying to figure out how to BBQ what we already have.
    The RV resort has a large charcoal roasting oven but my wife is the cook and she has know interest in cooking these hogs.

I'm open to suggestions on this???
    Jim

While you're down there take a moment to run over to Homassas Springs to the Manatee sanctuary. I think it's the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park. They rehabilitate injured and sick manatee and they have an underwater observatory. Pretty cool place. Another congrats on the piggy.

Yeah, that way if you get tired of eating hogs you can switch to manatee.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You are a bad man. Very bad man.

Tool & Die Maker

I shot the hogs less than a mile away from the manitee sanctuary.

We head back to Illinois on Friday. Been a wild 10 weeks in Florida. Took the wife to the emergency room twice, totaled out a Ford Focus, and killed 3 hogs. How many snow birds can say that?
    Last edited by jim Glass; 03-06-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I shot the hogs less than a mile away from the manitee sanctuary.

We head back to Illinois on Friday. Been a wild 10 weeks in Florida. Took the wife to the emergency room twice, totaled out a Ford Focus, and killed 3 hogs. How many snow birds can say that?
    On this site? You don't want to know.

sounds like you had a good time. When you get sick of wild hogs, England has a problem with wild Boar.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Every time I see this thread I think of the movie. I enjoyed it and this thread.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Congrats! Sounds like quite an adventure.

Tool & Die Maker

Roasted the hog today at the camp ground. Everyone thought it was the best hog they ever tasted. I didn't expect my wife to taste the roasted hog but she did and she love it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

One more thing off the bucket list and an educational experience to boot.

First hog kill
    First pig roast
    First kill with a shotgun slug

How did you roast it? We generally skin them and wrap them in foil and roast them whole over low coals or smoke them overnight in the smoker.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Roasted the hog exactly like you describe except the small hog is cooked after three hours.

We killed #5 last night. We spread 40 lb of corn around the blind and the pigs showed up 15 minutes later, around 6:10 PM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outstanding.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel