Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what's your 4 season base load, BOB?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hahhahhaa.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I sure wish you guys would give us a warning when you decide to let a retarded mad dog back in the house for the 6th time!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Oh trust me. The doggie door wasn't open long enough for it to get in.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's like that old joke with the hitchhiker where the car stops 20 feet down the road. The hitchhiker runs and the car moves another 20 feet. We let them juuuuuuust get ready to post and WHAM...Ban button.

hahahaha! You mods are awesome!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by taint View Post
    no water, food, guns, ammo, accessories for guns, armor, nVD's. For me, the total is 12 lbs The food, for me, is just a lb, cause i"m not going far and there's plenty stashed at the BOL, along with tools, etc. The water's just 4lbs, half a gallon, cause I"m not going far and there's water along the way. guns, ammo, 12 lbs, concealable armor (includes homemade boxer shorts, 18 layers of Kevlar) 5 lbs. NVD and batteries, about a lb. The total is 35 lbs. You have to be able to run with a BOB, guys! If it's not rifle time yet, say, just a Katrina like evacuation, 10 lbs of gun stuff and 5 lbs of armor aint going, but another 4 lbs of water and several lbs of food are likely to be a very good idea.

Very few people will be able to benefit from having more gun stuff than the normal EDC pistol and a scoped, sound- suppressed, 6" barreled Marlin Papoose takedown .22lr autorifle, with a collapsible stock. The short barrel keeps normal .22lr ammo subsonic, so you dont get sonic crack. Such a rifle is concealable under your arm, under a jacket, on a sling. Figure at most 2lbs for the pistol, holster and ammo, 4 lbs for such a scoped .22 rifle, .22lr ammo is 135 rds to the lb. 6lbs of .22 ammo should feed you for 20 years, if you also know how to forage, garden, trap, use nets, etc. Such .22 rifle can brain a cow, a horse, hog, deer, or if need be, men, to 30 yds or so. the low velocity of the short barrel means that penetration in bone is quite limited. For the critters, you need to hit the temple, base of skull, top of skull, or eye socket. On men, you can add the nasal cavities. Same 12 lb total for guns and ammo, and much more relevant than the fighting rifle, , for anyone who hasn't had many 100's of hours of training and practice.
    I'm just shy of "on the other side" of your load out. The reason for me is, I'm not just bugging myself out - I have an immediate family of 6. I don't have the luxury of 'minimalist' sustenance, I have to manage all of us and all our necessities. Now understand that each of us has a role, and each role has their individual gear.

My BOL is not nearby but there is a "stop" on the way. We each have our bags that [I suggested] we each keep to under 25% of our body weight - with a little bit of flexibility pro and con. I happen to have 3 bags....one remains permanently in the vehicle, #2 goes with me in case I'm alone and away [in the vehicle I'm in at the time] and the 3rd is at home with them when "it" happens. That one I have to get.....or have it brought to me at out meeting place.

My personal role is navigator and defense when in the vehicle. Wife drives, I direct and provide mobile defense. She is lightly armed [for personal defense] but I am armed enough to take on [almost] any situation the environment could throw at us [pretty much, to the teeth]. That means I'm the one who is burdened with the majority of the guns and ammo...but that's the #3 bag.

Bag #1 has 10 lbs of [mostly dry] food, 2 gallons of water, some tools, knife, cordage, etc. and 500 rds of mixed ammo.

The #2 bag has 3 lbs of dried food and half a gallon of water, metal cup and pre-loaded magazines for my immediately controlled firearms.

Bag #3 is primarily pre-loaded magazines for all used firearms but loose ammo as well.

Our drills have proved we can get on the road within 3 minutes....and that's all 6 people, aged 16 and up.

Now that's just getting our BoBs and running to the "stop".....which features a pre-loaded trailer that goes with us. That's another minute-fifty and back on the road again.
    Last edited by druid; 03-07-2016 at 04:42 AM.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

For our bugout I actually have multiple layers.

1) We bug-in. Essentially we avoid the pitfalls of the highway by staying home and eating the neighbors, starting with that little dog.
    2) I have full frame backpacks for the entire family, and enough gear for an African safari. More guns than hands to carry them, then the ammo...Mebbe I'll keep a few prisoners as porters...the hot ones.
    3) We bugout to the ranch. We have a fallback location that the family and friends head to. Once there we eat the neighbors, starting with their dogs. Again, we keep the porters.
    Need something fun to read? Find a whole world of books at
    RottenApplePublishing

Quote Originally Posted by taint View Post
    armor (includes homemade boxer shorts, 18 layers of Kevlar) 5 lbs.
    So they just shoot you in the knee. Done.

homemade boxer shorts, 18 layers of Kevlar
    Just because its called ball ammo doesn't mean you need bullet proof underpants.
    Looks like I missed something here.

I have 4 items for B.O. - Bottle of dry red wine; Glass; Lawn chair; Little plastic end table. I carry all four up onto a roof, and I'm good.

Test runs show that I can complete my B.O. run in 30 seconds flat.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Ahhhh...Keep the corkscrew tactical duck taped to the bottle....Right?

Mine is lawn chair and brewskies.....but some times it take a while to wake up Leroy....as he ain't never seen a TEOTWAWKI before....
    Wouldn't want him to miss the "Once in a Lifetime" event...(get it once in a lifetime, bhohahaha).....end of the world being kinda FUBAR and all.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27