Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's your 4 season base load, BOB?

Default what's your 4 season base load, BOB?

no water, food, guns, ammo, accessories for guns, armor, nVD's. For me, the total is 12 lbs The food, for me, is just a lb, cause i"m not going far and there's plenty stashed at the BOL, along with tools, etc. The water's just 4lbs, half a gallon, cause I"m not going far and there's water along the way. guns, ammo, 12 lbs, concealable armor (includes homemade boxer shorts, 18 layers of Kevlar) 5 lbs. NVD and batteries, about a lb. The total is 35 lbs. You have to be able to run with a BOB, guys! If it's not rifle time yet, say, just a Katrina like evacuation, 10 lbs of gun stuff and 5 lbs of armor aint going, but another 4 lbs of water and several lbs of food are likely to be a very good idea.

Very few people will be able to benefit from having more gun stuff than the normal EDC pistol and a scoped, sound- suppressed, 6" barreled Marlin Papoose takedown .22lr autorifle, with a collapsible stock. The short barrel keeps normal .22lr ammo subsonic, so you dont get sonic crack. Such a rifle is concealable under your arm, under a jacket, on a sling. Figure at most 2lbs for the pistol, holster and ammo, 4 lbs for such a scoped .22 rifle, .22lr ammo is 135 rds to the lb. 6lbs of .22 ammo should feed you for 20 years, if you also know how to forage, garden, trap, use nets, etc. Such .22 rifle can brain a cow, a horse, hog, deer, or if need be, men, to 30 yds or so. the low velocity of the short barrel means that penetration in bone is quite limited. For the critters, you need to hit the temple, base of skull, top of skull, or eye socket. On men, you can add the nasal cavities. Same 12 lb total for guns and ammo, and much more relevant than the fighting rifle, , for anyone who hasn't had many 100's of hours of training and practice.

My load. Not much. Cash, toiletries, change of clothes, meds, EDC. Why, because I'm not running off to the woods. My STH will be a natural event or man-made like a meth lab or industrial accident. I'm bugging out to a hotel or family home. I don't buy into the world is gonna collapse nonsense. You worry waaaaay too much about killing stuff and people. That's a bit scary.

You made your own underwear out of kevlar?! That's a bit over the top or under if you get what I'm saying. Doesn't that chafe a tad?

I' of the same opinion as Rick.....
    I'm 68 had by-pass surgery, and am not running anywhere.....need meds refiled in max of 3 months.

This is a Wilderness Survival Forum, not a Dooms Day Prepper/Zombies hunter site.

Over and out.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good lord, we're now entering the realm of fantasy and video games. Please, somebody make it stop.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have been on this forum since 2007. Home made kevlar underwear wins the wildest post hands down. And if that weren't the cat's pajamas they are 18 layers thick. I'm pretty sure you'd need a skyhook to keep those drawers up but, yeah, home made kevlar underwear sets a new standard. That's even better than the green anaconda, 250 miles to the nearest neighbor or lost for 50 days in Kentucky.

I have to agree........that rates right up there......
    My underwear are no where near 5 pounds.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't think the Kevlar underwear weighs too much. They are probably pretty small!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I told you guys this was going to happen when you removed the Phsyc-screening app from the registration log in!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MYwIMhe0O4c/hqdefault.jpg
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-04-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

...mutter mutter takes him an hour and half to watch 60 Minutes....
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I wondered when you guys were going to show up for work. I know those fruitcakes are heavy, but....
    When the FHTF can be a wonderful thing to witness.
    Carry on!
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

you're quite ignorant. Kevlar HAS to be 18 layers thick in order to stop 9mm ball ammo. The vests are that thick, and they weigh 3 lbs, cops on duty wear them contantly. The boxer shorts took less material, so they weigh just 2 lbs. 4 buttons and loops can secure the shorts to the vest, if you have a problem with their weight. you can wear 5 lbs of "winter" clothing and not be as warm as wearing this armor.. Taken apart, the Kevlar offers all sortf of patching/manufacturiing/cordage potential. Your fleece or down clothing offers nothing of the kind. It's not my problem that you dont know what you're talking about. The kevlar must be kept out of sunlight and moisture, or it is seriously weakened. So the boxer short inserts have to be sealed in the same sort of plastic cover as is used when making the vests, and then worn in the same sort of muslin carrier as is used with the vests. Feel free to get shot, if shtf. I"m happy to have the option. The armor can be worn for other occasions, you know. As when you see looters in your area, or hear a breakin attempt. I can put on the armor as fast as you can open a gun vault. Funny how vaults dont protect you as you move around.

threat level III vests have 24 layers of Kevlar. Kevlar is very thin, very tough fabric. It's used to make Kayaks and was developed for use in belted Tires. Richard Davis, originator of Second Chance, realized the bullet resistant potential of Kevlar about 1970

You don't seem to have any sense of humor. But, yeah, I'll accept ignorant. We are all ignorant on some subjects. Education remedies that, however. The difference betwixt thee and me is I'm not in constant fear of SHTF, looters or breakins. I don't walk around thinking about killing people. While you are putting your armor on I've already assumed a defensive posture and dialed 911. I don't store all my guns in a vault. If I had any guns or ammo, that is. Lost 'em all in the canoe accident.

Just because its called ball ammo doesn't mean you need bullet proof underpants.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just because its called ball ammo doesn't mean you need bullet proof underpants.
    Very subtle, but I see what you did there!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Back in the days of face to face conversations we had a term for dealing with people of this nature.

It was called knocking the dog$&*t out of someone.

Banning just does not give the same satisfaction...
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Back in the days of face to face conversations we had a term for dealing with people of this nature.

It was called knocking the dog$&*t out of someone.

Banning just does not give the same satisfaction...
    That's why on occasion Rick or I will ban, re-instate and then ban again. After about four or five cycles it comes close to knocking the dog$&*t out of someone.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OK, not really, but you get what I mean.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So when is taint getting reinstated?

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    So when is taint getting reinstated?
    He already has been......six times. I think the last ban took.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel