Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living close to Military instalations-Pro/Con?

It gets tough to take a nap at times that's for sure.

We love the troll chase, it's what gets the blood pumping; otherwise, we're just sitting on the porch growling at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    We love the troll chase, it's what gets the blood pumping; otherwise, we're just sitting on the porch growling at each other.

Nice job on this thread ....Good subject, kinda a troll sifter-outer......haven't lost your touch.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It's kind of funny. We can be walking through the gears and what its in the back room of the forum and Crash will get a funny look, sniff the air a couple of times and smile.

Me: "Troll?"
    Crash: "Let's hurry."

And the fun begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's kind of funny. We can be walking through the gears and what its in the back room of the forum and Crash will get a funny look, sniff the air a couple of times and smile.

Me: "Troll?"
    Crash: "Let's hurry."

And the fun begins.

I thought a Jedi Mod could feel the disturbance in the force........
    "Troll, Is that?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    So a question to all: would the proximity of a military installation be a factor in your home buying decision?
    Not directly. I am retired Navy also. I live about 65 miles from a rather large Air force base (Tinker AFB) and I have never seen any impact either way. they do employ over 20,000 (yes, twenty thousand) folks. On our list, much higher in priority are the local taxes, cost of land, zoning requirements, local infrastructure (EMS, Fire and Police) I can say pretty truthfully that the relationship of the closest Interstate gives me more pause that the proximity of the local NG and/or Military installations.

I love the ocean and miss it everyday even after living here in Oklahoma for the last 39 years. I hope you find a place that fits! Don't wait too long!

I spent my junior high and high school career (only the best 9 years of my life) living 400yards from Jacksonville Air base perimeter fence. Nice quiet town. No problem any bigger than you would expect from a town of that size.

Now on the other side of that coin I spent time at NAS Memphis (training base), and stationed next to Camp Lejeune (lots of boot marines). There was lots of bars, strip joints, and people that didn't like Marines around both. They had a good reason to. I have not lived around any other branches training bases so I can't speak on them.

All in all I personally would stay clear of ANY training bases. "Other" bases I wouldn't be as concerned about other than closures as has been said.