Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highest calories via foraging

My own ideas of some kind of post-collapse survival 'home'...money not being an object when setting it up...involves a few very small quasi raised bed areas enclosed in something like hardware cloth in different locations (all eggs not in one basket), some minimal rabbit operation (growing what I feed them, and using their dung), but a key component of my approach would be something like what you find with Freight Farms (google it).

- In insulated cargo container; Year round and 24 hour production - high yield; Vertically arranged within for less footprint requirement; Hydroponic - efficient water use and little water loss; LED lights of only blue and red spectrum - very low electricity requirement; Pest problems almost eliminated.

This, and other features, of course only works as part of the bigger system (which has intrinsic resiliency too)...the basic water strategy, replacement solar panels, replacement LED lights, other back-up options for this and that, passive ways to use the Earth's regulating temperature for various things, a multi-option approach to preserving surplus, blah blah blah.

And all of this, even with the fact that how I'd do it would be quite small and uncomplicated compared to actual farming homes today or what it sounds like, just to sustain a handful of folks with reasonable reliability - only foraging? Think twice about it.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-08-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Not all gardens need to be planted because of some supposed or hoped for societal collapse. They can be planted now, enjoyed tomorrow and then you are prepared for whatever.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep. I always love it when I see people in the city who've turned their backyard into a produce garden.

- William Arthur Ward

Might want to check out this....
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ponic-gardens/

Might have been one of the better programs.

I actually had a colleague and friend that went into this, in a big way....or started to, had a heart attach and died.....would have been interesting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would never advocate digging up a plant in the wild to transplant at home.
    Seeds, roots, or stem cuttings only. Leave the native population alone.
    All my stuff either came from seed, from a friend's garden, or by mail order, but the mail order has to convince me they grow stock on the premises and aren't out raping the wilderness.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

- In insulated cargo container; Year round and 24 hour production - high yield; Vertically arranged within for less footprint requirement; Hydroponic - efficient water use and little water loss; LED lights of only blue and red spectrum - very low electricity requirement; Pest problems almost eliminated
    Post apocalypse, are you running this thing on solar?
    What are you gonna do when your 30K hours on those LEDs are up? That's not quite 7 years at 12 hours on 12 hours off.
    Pests will blow in every time you open the door.
    Last edited by LowKey; 03-08-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Post apocalypse, are you running this thing on solar?
    What are you gonna do when your 30K hours on those LEDs are up? That's not quite 7 years at 12 hours on 12 hours off.
    Pests will blow in every time you open the door.
    originally posted by WalkingTree:

"...replacement solar panels, replacement LED lights, other back-up options for this and that...

...a few very small quasi raised bed areas...all eggs not in one basket..."

Oh and should've added, I figure that either I won't be running my freight farms thingamadoodle constantly, or only partially. Due to the yield, and having other production avenues, typical scenario might be that I have shelves and ice chests full of canned stuff before too long, and putting much of my growing operation in hibernation/non-use for intermittent periods of time. So I might end up having a set of LED lights seemingly forever before replacement. And they don't take up much space, like many other things I'd have stored for future replacement.

Pests? I'm pretty sure that I won't have the door to the thing opening directly to the outdoors. Things won't be that simpleton. And by "practically" not a problem, which is what I said, what's meant is that "normally" I won't have to apply pesticide chemicals which further simplifies how everything works.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-09-2016 at 02:25 PM.

- William Arthur Ward