Thread: Anyone know recurve bow repair?

Default Anyone know recurve bow repair?

I bought a recurve bow few days ago. Second hand just to get in some initial practice to see which direction i wanted to go with bows.

Its my first one so i got a cheap deal and its only 32 lb's. I got weak, cheap and all around average as i had no idea of my draw strength or particularities i would prefer as i've never used one before.

Its a takedown and when i took it down, the inner bolt that holds the lower limb is cracked through. This CANT be good when i go to draw it. Its pretty much the only thing holding the limb in place, i can just see the limb flying off.

Uhm i cant upload pics idk why BUT its like a wooden recurve and the limb screws in with a bolt and the thing the bolt goes into is cracked.

Anyone know how to take these out and replace them?

After you have 10 posts you will be able to post pics and links. It's part of the anti-spam policies we have in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    After you have 10 posts you will be able to post pics and links. It's part of the anti-spam policies we have in place.
    Ah ok got it thx.

But yeah, not much to a basic recurve bow so its the inner part of the one thing holding the bottom limb thats cracked

Can you take it back for a refund or exchange?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

is the manufactures name on the bow?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Can you take it back for a refund or exchange?
    You know i can. To be honest i was hoping someone could point me in the direction of information for bow maintenence and repair anyway.

Havnt found anything on the web yet or know of books for refererence. I assume there is detailed knowledge as i've seen stuff like field repair kits for bows being sold around the place.

it's pretty high risk of an injury, even after "repaired" I'd never draw it, knowing it had been broken. that string can come flying around and take out an eye, cut off your ear, etc, if the bow shatters at full draw. Why risk it?

I used to shoot field and target archery many years ago and a competitor had bow failure where the top part of the bow failed and the tip came down and punctured his aiming eye causing it to be removed.

I am with Taint on this. Destroy it or use it as a wall hanger.
    NRA Life Member since 1972. Distinguished High Power Rifle, Distinguished Smallbore Prone US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams,(2) US Palma Trophy Individual Match wins, Centenary Trophy, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted testing for US Army Test and Evaluation Command, Army Material Systems Analysis Activity and US Marine Corps. Army Sniper Rifle consultant. Test& evaluation of Small Arms, at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.