Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poisonous plants

Default Poisonous plants

I was just reading this book on Edible Plants in the Western US and it had a section on plants to avoid. It was saying theres a plant called "Water Hemlock" that could kill you in half an hour. You convulse to death. And there's another called "Jimson Weed", actually pretty close to where I live thats just like LSD or PCP. You start hallucinating and become delirious.

Water Hemlock is nasty stuff. Just ask Socrates. Oh, wait, he's dead. Also called Spotted Cowbane. Just a mouthful, lights out. Some look alikes to be aware of are Water Parsnip, Sweet Cicely and Harbinger of Spring.

Jimson Weed goes by a whole host of names (Thornapple, crazy weed, stink weed, ditch weed and a bunch of others) and cattle ranchers can really have problems if this guy gets harvested with the hay or silage. Not something I would want to mess with. The plant contains tropane alkaloids. Ah, those crazy alkaloids. Hi, Nora, what's new?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Kids around here are actually using the Jimson weed for their newest buzz thrill
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Little scampers. Kids are so inventive. What won't they think of next?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

that's been going on for years. i once spent half an hour trying to talk my cousins out of smoking it with their herb.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I was being factitious. Kids today think gramps don't know beans from bananas. See, I lived through the 50s, 70s, 80s, 90s and now 2000s. I must have lived through the 60s but I sure don't remember it.

Blog Entries

Ah, stink weed........, What interesting flash backs I have of that stuff.

"""Joe! I thought you were dead?"""
    "''''You are! Then why are you talking to me"""
    """Hey Joe! Where'd you go?"""

I never tried the stuff, however allot of the kids on the mountain did. Now Peyote is a different story.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

And that conversation took place while you were all alone!!!!!!!

Hmmm, seems I really did lead a sheltered life,I never knew until recently that people actually used that stuff ( Jimson weed,that is),its a wonder people have any brain cells left Unfortuneately for me,I remember every decade I have lived through
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I always operated by Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest. Whenever you do something like that you kill the weakest, sickest brain cells first. Leaving the stronger cells in place. The way I figure it I've improved my IQ 20 or 30 points.

i never tried the stuff myself, but a friend of mine lost him mind because of it.
    ...yeah; i've tried that stuff, lots of times.
    /cackling laughter...

[if nobody gets this lame futurama reference i think i'm in the wrong forum]
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

(looking up futurama..........)

well getting the brain out was the hard part, the hard part was getting the brain out.

I wouldn't be surprised if getting the brain out is the hard part. I've pickled it a time or two. Does that count for anything? Alkaloids. MMmmmmmm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And that conversation took place while you were all alone!!!!!!!
    Another lame attempt at being funny.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

(tap)(tap)(tap) Is this thing on?

I fear you have my number, Klkak. This is not good. No, sir. Not good at all. How is an out of work comedian supposed to make it with hecklers coming right into my home?

Yeah, jimson weed, ummm....don't mix it with peyote kids, seriously. I'm a trained professional don't try this at home.

Yeah, jimson weed, ummm.....don't mix it...oh never mind.

Nora! You're back! How was Rick's place?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Jimson Weed is pretty deadly. Here is a fairly local news article about kids getting high on it....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...c12jimson.html

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

I know some kids who have tried some pretty crazy stuff to get high. Like mixing milk and gasoline. Apparently it works, but I seriously doubt it does very well (and don't wanna try either).

Me and my friends just try thinking of different ways to play assassins in public. Like most adults have no idea that you can twist a plastic water bottle w/ the cap on to build up pressure, and then quickly turn the cap and it flies off straight ahead. So when we do that they think we have some sort of chemicals in the bottle or something
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

AP - Mixing milk and gasoline is a short term cure for smoking. It's pretty effective, too.

We did something similar with soda bottles when we were kids. We'd sneak around late at night to soda machines around town. Our only tools were a plastic pitcher and a bottle opener. We'd pop the top off the soda bottles while they were still in the machine and let the soda drain into the pitcher. You have no idea what I'm talking about do you? Another good one is to slide two bottles through the cold water together. If you angle the second one just right you can pull two bottles out of the tub together. You're just blinking. I can tell you still aren't following me.