Thread: New kid on the block

Default New kid on the block

Hey,

So I'm new here, but I'm a real survivalist. I used to work a 9 - 5 job in an office doing computer work. That was two years ago. One day my boss was yelling at me for something that wasn't my fault, and I realized that I had enough of all of it - the rat race, the impossible standards, always worrying about bills, loud sirens all the time - Human beings weren't designed by GOD to live this way.

So I sold everything I owned and lived in a cabin out in the woods. That was April of 2013. I'm still there.

I've been browsing a lot of survivalist communities for about six months now. I finally stopped into the local library and figured I'd join this forum. I looked at a couple so called "survivalist forums" and most seemed like junk.

Anyway, since I was infantry and I've actually been doing this for like two years, I have tons of reviews on gear. I know what works and what doesn't so any questions about that and I'll answer. I tried posting in the MRE section but for whatever reason new members can't post links (I'm not sure why but I guess that's your loss lol).

Anyway, name is Austin. I'm looking forward to being a member of this community.
    Last edited by InfantryAmerican; 03-03-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska Austin. The link restriction is to reduce spam and it works pretty well. Join in the conversations and you'll be able to post links soon.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Ok awesome. I was worried because most of what I have to contribute to the site is gear reviews. Then I joined today and it wouldn't let me share anything.

This is a decent community so far though. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service. Please don't confuse the word survival in the title of the forum with survivalist. For their common usages they are worlds apart. Most of us are about AVOIDING a survival situation. We enjoy practicing and using the skills often referred to as survival skills, but for many it is more a form of relaxation than a way of life. Of course, having those skills if ever needed could certainly prove to be a life saver.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I appreciate all the warm feedback.

And yes, a lot of the other forums honestly looked like a bunch of posers who thought having a ton of gear made them "survivalists." We had a name for that in the service, but I won't share it

That's funny......but true. In my over 20 years in the military there are one or two names that I cannot share on a PG-13 forum. I know its hard to believe, but its true.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania and thank you for your service.

Welcome home and thank you for your service. 10 posts and you can start linking.

Austin,
    Welcome to the Forum. I am glad that you found us. Thank you for your service. Old sailor here. What is your favorite kind of camping? How "out in the woods" are you? Do you use propane? Electricity? Have you got running water and indoor plumbing? Do you use power tools (like chain saws) or hand tools? I am really interested to hear more about how you have made the transition. God bless and keep you sir.

Dave

Austin,
    Welcome to the Forum. I am glad that you found us. Thank you for your service. Old sailor here. What is your favorite kind of camping? How "out in the woods" are you? Do you use propane? Electricity? Have you got running water and indoor plumbing? Do you use power tools (like chain saws) or hand tools? I am really interested to hear more about how you have made the transition. God bless and keep you sir.
    Dave
    I honestly like going out on hunting / camping / backpacking trips. They're kind of hard to organize because many places don't let you do all three, but that's my favorite. A few years ago I would consider what I do now camping, but it's just become the new normal.

As far as how "out in the woods" I am, I'm far away but close to civilization at the same time. It's like a mile hike to the road, and a five minute drive to civilization (a local VFW is the closest building). Sometimes I go there for wings if I want to spoil myself. I do not have electricity or running water. I have propane tanks but I do most everything with a wood stove. I did most of the original construction with power tools (there are some I really like). I've gone to chopping wood with an axe, but I'm eyeing up this awesome handsaw on Ebay that looks like it'll make the job a lot easier.

wecome home,

Thank you for your service and welcome from PA. I gotta admit I'm a little jealous of the quiting the job selling everything and moving to the woods that sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service. Please don't confuse the word survival in the title of the forum with survivalist. For their common usages they are worlds apart. Most of us are about AVOIDING a survival situation. We enjoy practicing and using the skills often referred to as survival skills, but for many it is more a form of relaxation than a way of life. Of course, having those skills if ever needed could certainly prove to be a life saver.
    Reminds me of the old saying - "I don't have to learn how to be miserable; I know how to do that"
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Welcome to WSF, Infantry!