Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Diet

I checked....the tread mill at the cardiac unit gym is marked off in calories burned ...but not "Big Mac,.... Fries,.... Shake"...Super sized....will take two weeks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Why would one engage in hard physical activity for a full hour to burn up 500 calories when they could just skip ingesting the 500 calories? Sweat equity for pie has never made sense to me.
    The benefits of exercise go way beyond weight loss.
    This from a Harvard doctor:
    "I often tell my patients that if we had the ability to put what exactly exercise does for us into a pill, it would be worth a million dollars,” says Dr. Cheng. “The irony is, of course, that exercise itself is actually free.”

"Many of the benefits of exercise have been known for quite a long time, notes Dr. Cheng, the author of “Interrogating the Age-Old Wisdom of Exercise,” an editorial in a recent issue of the journal Circulation. Exercise reduces weight, lowers blood pressure, prevents diabetes, improves cholesterol, increases muscle strength, improves sleep quality, improves mood, and even sharpens the mind."

http://www.health.harvard.edu/stayin...nd-weight-loss

Yep - lots of benefits from exercise.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You bet. I could watch it all day. 'Specially those yoga, spandex thingy classes. One class and a hot fudge sundae and I'm good for an hour at least.

Sending you best will-power wishes, kyratshooter! I'd say, "good luck!" but luck has nothing to do with it.

This is probably old stuff; but, have you looked into the so-called Paleo Diet? Having become a semi-sedentary, half-blind, old cripple, I was tipping the scales at 242 lbs. on New Year's Day. At 5' 9", that's way too high. I started eating Paleo-like, and since January 2nd, have lost 15 pounds. It's not like being on a diet, and I don't feel deprived. For the most part, I've stopped eating sugar and starches (junk food and bread). I'm also NOT avoiding fats -- good fats. I eat plenty of bacon, and I use coconut oil for cooking. For treats, I bought a NutriBullet and a load of frozen blueberries. I throw a mix of baby spinach and kale into the bottom of the blender, load it up with frozen blueberries, and add apple cider for liquid. One minute of blending and I have a nutrient-rich blueberry smoothie. Can't taste the raw spinach and kale. It tastes really good and is both filling and satisfying. I also keep a bowl of nuts -- almonds, cashews, pistachios, and raisins -- on the counter and grab a small handful whenever I need a quick snack. I also snack on hard salami and cheese.

I weigh myself every morning, at about the same time each day. My weight goes up and down, day to day; but, I keep trending down. My average loss is a tad over 1.5 lbs. per week, which the Doc says is a good, healthy rate at which to be dropping the pounds.

Don't know if my experience will be useful to you, or not; but, just in case...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That is basically what I am doing.

I am big on vegetables, although not vegetarian, and I consume most of the bulk diet as green fodder, either cooked veggies or as salads. That way the paleo thing does not get boring and bland.

Everyone seems to think the paleo or Atkins diets are all meat but that is not true unless what you were doing already was a pure meat and potatoes diet.

Right now I am down 5 pounds for the week. If I follow the pattern of the last effort I will lose 20 in a month, then hit a plateau for about two weeks, then lose steadily until I stabilize at just over 200. It is the part where I try to get below 200 when I hit a real wall. I should really be sitting on 180-190.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

TJ! Good to see you back. Hang in there brother.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Different things work for different people. If, at the very least, you consume less calories than you burn, you will be successful. Kinda like buy low, sell high...a no brainer.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am really looking for the foods that burn more calories through digestion than they contain and require no more exercise than the chewing activity provides!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Several years ago I cut Cokes out of my diet and lost 10 lbs magically without changing anything else. Well, a couple of months ago I cut sugar out of my coffee hoping for the same magical boost. Blarg, I got nothing!
    1st time me too! Cutting sugar out did NOTHING! So I now use organic agave both for taste, less needed per cup, and apparently it is lower glycemic than any sugar or maple syrup (which I love in my coffee). I also cut out cream in the coffee and that did ZIP.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You bet. I could watch it all day. 'Specially those yoga, spandex thingy classes. One class and a hot fudge sundae and I'm good for an hour at least.
    You mean on some one else, Right?

I re-upped at the cardiac unit gym.......3 days a week for an hour.

No one wears yoga stuff and spandex.....so sweats are kinda the norm....for good reason.

Most all are older "survivors" or some sort of life threatening condition or surgery, doing their work outs where the emergency unit is just one floor down.
    Several walk the track only, some even with canes and walkers....but are "Doin' It'.
    Members wonder where the others are, if some one misses a day.....

You don't worry about who you "used to be"......as we are all in the same boat now..... and many have a bad time remembering names...so nick names are common.

Work out music ...they play oldies that we danced to, in the 50's and 60's and many know all the words.....LOL

Seems this is what many people need to "stick with a program"....is a group....and seems to be working well.

I do think the "Cupcake Wars" on the food channel on one of the TV by the treadmills is a little over the top.....

But all in all, it beats the alternative....and I don't want a pace maker....unless they put in on the left side ...away from the firearm shoulder.

Yeah. The girlies go to the Yoga thingy classes. I don't understand it. I set up a lawn chair outside the window and I no more than sit down and the cops are there telling me I have to move. I keep telling them it's a big window and they should bring their own chairs.

Had a lady leading one of those classes crewed us out for watching.....which we would not have been doing if she wouldn't have complained our racquet ball warm up being too noisy...so we stopped,... Until...3:00 PM, WHEN OUR HOUR STARTED.