Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: if you could have just one thing for survival, what would it be?

Water World........?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That'd be the alternative - minimalistic, instead of bulk and brute force approaches. Can't have much of a garden on board, and would definitely need to be able to stay away from storms. But just need the wind for fuel. Therefore, part of such a plan would be to chart multiple uninhabited island sites, and similar shores. So in such a scenario, legalities (ownership) would be obsolete and unenforceable to some degree, which makes setting up shop at a few of these locations feasible. When a site becomes contested or threatened by other parties...be able to ascertain them ahead of time and just set sail if necessary. Shoot, sounds like a plan. Much less investment also.

Where are my gill slits?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I think Sourdough's vision was a motorized barge on the inside passage. Same concept, sheltered waterway and transportable. Fuel would be the only concern in his plan. I saw some very large and impressive sail catamarans in Mexico. Very large.

The thread being way off the original topic I guess there's no harm in adding to it. At least it's discussion and food for thought, right? I agree with what Walkingtree said about the bulk and brute force approach. To each their own but that's just not my school of thought. Call it pipe dream or a concept thought but the living on the water thing is always floating around in the back of my head (no pun intended). One of versions of this thought is southern Louisiana, like the Atchafalaya basin and delta region. Granted there is a gazillion people in this area but most of them aren't the swampers per se and everything did go to hell in hand basket, I can't see a mass exodus to the swamps by most. The ones that did, if they have little to no experience, their numbers are gonna dwindle fast. But, if you've got half a clue, that place is a plethora of food and fresh water sources, plus an almost year round growing season. A lot of people down there do it now so it's gotta work, the houseboat concept. The little shack built on floats type, not the conventional ones. My thought is a Quonset style on floats. Fuel for a tender boat is of course a factor to move the thing but once you're set somewhere there's no need to run the tender boat. A canoe or ages old Cajun pirogue can be daily transportation to hunt, run lines, nets or whatever. Any thoughts, ideas??

For open water....From Water World...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Movie also had the bad guys floating colony the Exxon Valdez oil tanker....when you stop and think about it...could run for a long time of time....isn't a bad idea....

Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoname View Post
    The thread being way off the original topic I guess there's no harm in adding to it. At least it's discussion and food for thought, right? I agree with what Walkingtree said about the bulk and brute force approach. To each their own but that's just not my school of thought. Call it pipe dream or a concept thought but the living on the water thing is always floating around in the back of my head (no pun intended). One of versions of this thought is southern Louisiana, like the Atchafalaya basin and delta region. Granted there is a gazillion people in this area but most of them aren't the swampers per se and everything did go to hell in hand basket, I can't see a mass exodus to the swamps by most. The ones that did, if they have little to no experience, their numbers are gonna dwindle fast. But, if you've got half a clue, that place is a plethora of food and fresh water sources, plus an almost year round growing season. A lot of people down there do it now so it's gotta work, the houseboat concept. The little shack built on floats type, not the conventional ones. My thought is a Quonset style on floats. Fuel for a tender boat is of course a factor to move the thing but once you're set somewhere there's no need to run the tender boat. A canoe or ages old Cajun pirogue can be daily transportation to hunt, run lines, nets or whatever. Any thoughts, ideas??
    Just a quick Google search brought up these......Always though this was a great idea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hous...3xDMUQ_AUIBigB

Like this one.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-22-2016 at 04:37 PM.

A little houseboat is an idea I've always loved.

Remember a long time ago (probably isn't allowed anymore ?) a group was going up and down the Mississippi perpetually, a floating assembly of whatever they could find. It was in a state of constant construction and repair. People started leaving their construction junk on the shore for them to get and use. Homeless panhandlers who weren't quite homeless. Back then of course the idea was interesting to me.

- William Arthur Ward

That's a great plan until.....

Careful or it could end up with your bugout bike.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey, there's my bike. How'd it get there.

- William Arthur Ward

Never put a bike in the canoe. Just sayin'.

But it was pretty good for powering my oars.

I tried to do this -

Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-23-2016 at 03:56 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think Sourdough's vision was a motorized barge on the inside passage. Same concept, sheltered waterway and transportable. Fuel would be the only concern in his plan. I saw some very large and impressive sail catamarans in Mexico. Very large.
    I've brainstormed this concept.

The best I've come up with is windmills charging 12 v battery banks to push a sluggish barge with a few electric trolling motors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thing for survival would be Health.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

A sharp hammer polled tomahawk ......

Ohio Rusty ><>

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    For open water....From Water World...

Movie also had the bad guys floating colony the Exxon Valdez oil tanker....when you stop and think about it...could run for a long time of time....isn't a bad idea....

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I've brainstormed this concept.

The best I've come up with is windmills charging 12 v battery banks to push a sluggish barge with a few electric trolling motors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thing for survival would be Health.
    Still like the boat idea......

I always laugh when I hear someone say if they could only have one item and they say a gun. What they don't realize is that in the long term its gonna run out of ammo and be fairly useless unless you want to use it as a club !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I always laugh when I hear someone say if they could only have one item and they say a gun. What they don't realize is that in the long term its gonna run out of ammo and be fairly useless unless you want to use it as a club !
    You still buy ammo in the 20 round boxes? Have we taught you nothing here?

Pick an SKS, it comes with the knife attached!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Better, pick a mosin. It comes with a sticker thingy and candle holder. Besides, the ones I have are all still going bang after 80+ years and I think much of the ammo I have is that old. Well, close.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You still buy ammo in the 20 round boxes? Have we taught you nothing here?

Pick an SKS, it comes with the knife attached!
    I buy ammo any way I can get it, but in a post SHTF world, there may not be any to buy ! Again, a gun without ammo is a club.............
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I buy ammo any way I can get it, but in a post SHTF world, there may not be any to buy ! Again, a gun without ammo is a club.............
    But as long as you have ammo you can use that tool to defend yourself better than with a knife and use it to acquire more guns, ammo, knives, food etc... Even after your ammo supply is depleted, not every one will know that, so you still have a threatening tool that is much better than a knife