Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: if you could have just one thing for survival, what would it be?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I take it that your only experience with the military is the fantasy movies that were made with your avatar character in them. How about visiting your local VA or better still, recruiting office.
    it's a fact that commandos are nocturnal loners. I am not sure what the command master chief's do to their machines but they seem crazy in the head after training. air force personel working in an office are likely normal I guess. military movies make the our personel look cool killing arabs but I still think Americas #1 priority is to fix our own nations problems and I would only assume military personel would shoot at us if we attempted a revolution

Last edited by crashdive123; 03-03-2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Keeping it PG 13

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I take it that your only experience with the military is the fantasy movies that were made with your avatar character in them. How about visiting your local VA or better still, recruiting office.
    Well said and thank you.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChinRooster View Post
    it's a fact that commandos are nocturnal loners. I am not sure what the command master chief's do to their machines but they seem crazy in the head after training. air force personel working in an office are likely normal I guess. military movies make the our personel look cool killing arabs but I still think Americas #1 priority is to fix our own nations problems and I would only assume military personel would shoot at us if we attempted a revolution

There is NO such thing as a loner in the military. All special forces are TEAMS, not individuals. Even scouts and scout snipers go out in small teams and not on there own. Every aspect of the military is a team effort. As Crash said, walk into a recruiting station and you will learn first hand instead of educating yourself through fictional movies. The only thing that you have said that I agree with is that America needs to focus on fixing our own issues. As far as military firing own its own people goes, some will and some won't. That is just laws of probability. With the hundreds of thousands service member, the probability of 100% of them doing all one thing or the other in a revolution/civil war situation is nearly impossible.

For your sake, please get in touch with reality. Now that you have explained your name (which I knew what it was from the start) I will sit back and see if it gets MOD-ified. (get it? A mod changes something, so it gets MOD-ified! I crack myself up!)
    Last edited by crashdive123; 03-03-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

As a distinguish member would say......Tic Toc.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChinRooster View Post

You should really stick to topics that you know something about. The military does not seem to be one of them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You will get cowards in any organization. But, I would guess that maybe 5% of military members would fire on the general US population. The other 95% would say no. Patriotism runs deep in the military.... kinda why they joined.

I better stop now before I cross the line....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Instead of starting a new thread, this seems as good a place as any to ask something I've been wondering about for awhile:
    Is living close to a military base or installation good or bad? All things being comparable, would you buy a place within a 50 mile radius? I could probably argue both sides but have no real knowledge on which to base it.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread, this seems as good a place as any to ask something I've been wondering about for awhile:
    Is living close to a military base or installation good or bad? All things being comparable, would you buy a place within a 50 mile radius? I could probably argue both sides but have no real knowledge on which to base it.
    Nessie it could be good or bad depending on how severe the situation gets. Just my opinion, but I would want to be far away! Nothing against the military, just wouldn't want to be that close!

I posted about This little guy in another thread.

Okay, maybe that's cheating but that's what I would take. Barring that, the best answer is a knife. You might as well have a knife that does other things.

A knife makes things faster. All around and for the most diverse landscapes, a knife would be a safe bet. If it were here in Spruce/Fir boreal type forests from November to Early April, (northeast specific) I would exchange it in a heart beat for a small camp ax. Too much fire wood to process, trees to fell and limb, and timber shaping to be messing with a knife in cold weather.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Please do start a new thread. This thread has gone pear shaped and you have a valid question for conditions of civil unrest that would be good discussion either pro or con.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If I could have just one thing for survival, what would it be?

A large bank account.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Hope you can get at it......
    Was at a gas station, phone lines were down....till are tied in with corporate.....as are the pumps.

Keep in mind that includes making change.

I shoulda said that my bank account consists of several mason jars full of cash buried in the back yard.

But then, if I couldn't get my money out of a real bank, the money might not be any good anymore...?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    ..........if I couldn't get my money out of a real bank, the money might not be any good anymore...?
    Just send it my way. I will gladly (and selflessly I might add) dispose of it for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can send it here as well.....I good at "throwing it away".......Been brought up a few times....

Point is.....have a cash stash, with some smaller bills......payoffs usually don't come with change back.

Get pulled out of a ditch.....got $20 bucks, gonna be $20 bucks......got a$100 bill....gonna be $100.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    " ... Point is.....have a cash stash, with some smaller bills......payoffs usually don't come with change back.

Get pulled out of a ditch.....got $20 bucks, gonna be $20 bucks......got a$100 bill....gonna be $100.
    I've often said the same to those who say, "Gold coins. You gotta have gold coins. They never lose value."

I've answered, "Yeah, you go into the market and pick up a loaf of moldy bread and a box of stale Quaker Oats for your starving wife and kiddies. At the register you hand the manager your one ounce gold coin, and say, 'This is worth $1,400.00'"

The manager says, "Nope, not to me. If you want that box of stale Quaker Oats and loaf of moldy bread for your wife and kiddies, your gold coin will just cover it. "

You scream, "That's outrageous! That's highway robbery!"

The manager shrugs his shoulders and says, "No, that's just the Law of Supply and Demand. Take it or leave it, buddy."

You walk out of the store with the stale Quaker Oats and moldy bread and the manager slips the gold coin into his stash.

That's how things would work in the real TEOTWAKI world.

If I were worried about such a situation, I'd have a bunch of "junk" pre-'64 silver coins, and some silver certificates. Easy to "make change" with those.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

maybe get a cold chisel and hammer to go along with the gold coin LOL... modern day pieces of eight, cut it up first
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Piece of eight comes from the Spanish dollar and was silver....and was the bases of our silver dollar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar

I guess I questioned the value of keeping all precious metals as a "Prep"....as in the event something serious happens....the value will be relative to what the going rate is at the time.

Not sayings it's bad...but not something that should be your only hedge on value.

I was just saying, least of my worries to be honest lol, way down on the list.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?