Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: if you could have just one thing for survival, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    But as long as you have ammo you can use that tool to defend yourself better than with a knife and use it to acquire more guns, ammo, knives, food etc... Even after your ammo supply is depleted, not every one will know that, so you still have a threatening tool that is much better than a knife
    And when you pull the trigger and all you hear is "click", then what ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I buy ammo any way I can get it, but in a post SHTF world, there may not be any to buy ! Again, a gun without ammo is a club.............
    The point being that you buy enough ammo now that you do not have to scrounge it in your post apocalyptic fantasy. Besides, there is always that button you can push to reload on the controller. Endless ammo for the zombie horde, correct?

If one feels inclined to buy enough food and supplies to exist in a SHTF world why would they not buy enough ammo to last as long as the event would last, be that 10 rounds or 10,000 rounds. After you eat your way though all that freeze dried crap you are going to need ammo to feed yourself, it's part of the food supply as much as that hard wheat, rolled oats and Mountain House.

That is considering the firearm as a food gathering tool and not as a weapon used to fight off the Golden Horde.

Or that if you are enduring a SHTF breakdown of society the first individual you run into that does have a gun is immidiately going to own all those goodies you so diligently horded, or the one item you chose instead of a gun!

You also must consider that knives break and wear out or get lost, ferro rods eventually wear in half and run out of spark, matches get wet and your clothes wear out. You are going to use up everything you take in if your "event" is long enough.

Not that I feel a firearm is choice #1, especially in a wilderness survival scenario. I just see a big glaring hole in your logic, both the expectation of a long term SHTF event, and failure to approach ammo stockpiling in the same way you would food or gear stockpiling for that long term event.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

And when you pull the trigger and all you hear is "click", then what ?
    choose your battle, know your enemies, know your weapons.

If they have a knife, your empty gun is a BIG deterrent and much better than a knife! If they have a gun do whatever you feel is best as in just the presence of your gun could calm the situation if the other guy isn't looking for a fight or stay in hiding and let them pass.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    For open water....From Water World...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Movie also had the bad guys floating colony the Exxon Valdez oil tanker....when you stop and think about it...could run for a long time of time....isn't a bad idea....

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    choose your battle, know your enemies, know your weapons.

If they have a knife, your empty gun is a BIG deterrent and much better than a knife! If they have a gun do whatever you feel is best as in just the presence of your gun could calm the situation if the other guy isn't looking for a fight or stay in hiding and let them pass.

Many times you may well not be able to choose your battles.......

Mosin Nagant may be a great option, and were used with "cat sneeze" loads, to feed off small game in the wilds of many European countries post wars..........

OR

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The point being that you buy enough ammo now that you do not have to scrounge it in your post apocalyptic fantasy.

Not that I feel a firearm is choice #1, especially in a wilderness survival scenario. I just see a big glaring hole in your logic, both the expectation of a long term SHTF event, and failure to approach ammo stockpiling in the same way you would food or gear stockpiling for that long term event.
    My question is, how long do you think you will survive and how much ammo do you need to reach that goal and do you seriously think you could stockpile enough to last in a permanent chaotic society ? I'm not saying there is anything wrond with stockpiling ammo because one should ! But, there are other, quieter means of feeding yourself and family. I have trapped numerous animals in my life and have never purchased the first store bought trap except for mouse and rat traps, and rat traps are very effective at trapping squirrels and such and they are reuseable. My logic may have a "big glaring hole" in it to a lot of folks, but man has been surviving for thousands of years without them ! Don't take me wrong, I love guns and support anyone that wants to own them, I just don't see them as a main source of survival.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Since this is all hypothetical anyone can choose anything they want and still win. Personally, I'm going to choose a wet noodle. I had an English teacher that always threatened to beat us with a wet noodle and no one EVER crossed her. Final choice.

My question is, how long do you think you will survive and how much ammo do you need to reach that goal and do you seriously think you could stockpile enough to last in a permanent chaotic society ? I'm not saying there is anything wrond with stockpiling ammo because one should ! But, there are other, quieter means of feeding yourself and family. I have trapped numerous animals in my life and have never purchased the first store bought trap except for mouse and rat traps, and rat traps are very effective at trapping squirrels and such and they are reuseable. My logic may have a "big glaring hole" in it to a lot of folks, but man has been surviving for thousands of years without them ! Don't take me wrong, I love guns and support anyone that wants to own them, I just don't see them as a main source of survival.
    Kinda sees like everyone is kinda messing with ya....a tad....
    I get your point as I'm sure most do.

But to just run thru different ways things can go wrong and what you need to fix it......a gun wouldn't be on the top of my list.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-14-2016 at 09:29 PM.

One thing you said? I'll take Ray Mears with me.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Kinda sees like everyone is kinda messing with ya....a tad....
    I get your point as I'm sure most do.

But to just run thru different ways things can go wrong and what you need to fix it......a gun wouldn't be on the top of my list.
    Don't get me wrong here Hunter, a gun would be and is on my list, but like you it wouldn't be my number one choice.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

One thing. I choose one of these. Outfitted like an R.V., to live in. No runways. No problem. Gimme any water, away from cities. She's a beautiful creature.

Last edited by WalkingTree; 07-15-2016 at 11:03 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I think I could get by for quite some time with one of these;
    light my fire Mora's
    the rest you could make or find.

Don't get me wrong here Hunter, a gun would be and is on my list, but like you it wouldn't be my number one choice.
    As with guns running out of ammo, planes run out of fuel and its not a pretty sight if it happens while flying !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

We'll just watch the fuel gauge. And make sure we can get to a good place to camp out long term afore we run out. In a bug out, won't hafta worry bout traffic jams.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Since this is all hypothetical anyone can choose anything they want and still win. Personally, I'm going to choose a wet noodle. I had an English teacher that always threatened to beat us with a wet noodle and no one EVER crossed her. Final choice.
    I would just give you 30 days in the electric chair !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

what makes you think that a man who goes that far down the road of combat preps would let somebody like you jump him?

Are you and incide the same person or you just riffing on each others posts?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot:
    Tic Toc...
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Yeah..I thinking you are right...
    Dig up an old thread,.... take a swipe...and move on to another.....
    Troll.

I could, and truly believe, I will do well in my equipped catamaran, not great but well enough.

As Popeye would say " I Yam wot I Yam "

<"////><

Pete - I have to hand it to you, you are good! They were one and the same and they are banned...one and the same. (Crash is gonna be so ticked he missed this. He lives for banning and this was a two fer.)

They had similar odors.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness