Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who has a right to survive post shtf?

Default who has a right to survive post shtf?

so just who does have a right to survive post shtf?

Either everybody or nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    so just who does have a right to survive post shtf?
    The meanest dog in the fight.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

What kind of SHTF....?
    TEOTWAWKI....Who cares.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Right has nothing to do with it. Obviously, those who are better prepared have a better chance but it's by no means a guarantee.
    There's also health, smarts, resilience, adaptability and plain ol' dumb luck.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Everyone has the "right to survive" in any situation they are placed in. In a hypothetical SHTF fantasy that right is not suspended. It is one of the rights endowed by our Creator and one of the reasons I distrust people that do not believe in a Creator.

It is legally guaranteed by the Constitution under the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Preparation and training to invoke those rights is up to the individual, just as is education, career pursuits, personal finances management.

More importantly, no person has the "right" to decide who does not survive. That is a standard question that is asked on every psych test, cleverly disguised in some way. The person that feels they have that right is dealing with some severe issues and you do not want him in your life raft.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've never understood rights except as "that which everyone else agrees to let a person have gratis." I don't believe in rights. I do believe in freedoms, and those you have to work for. I suspect that many (most?) people won't survive because they aren't willing to work for it (or they don't know how because they haven't been willing to work for their survival yet), and others won't survive because they make themselves odious to the people around them. The "survivalists" (militia) will bunker in and be taken out by the "bandit lords", the bandits will be taken out by the guerrillas, and the guerrillas will settle down into civilized hunter-gatherer communities that know how to live with each other (the others will disappear.)

So that's my novel......
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I've never understood rights except as "that which everyone else agrees to let a person have gratis." I don't believe in rights. I do believe in freedoms, and those you have to work for. I suspect that many (most?) people won't survive because they aren't willing to work for it (or they don't know how because they haven't been willing to work for their survival yet), and others won't survive because they make themselves odious to the people around them. The "survivalists" (militia) will bunker in and be taken out by the "bandit lords", the bandits will be taken out by the guerrillas, and the guerrillas will settle down into civilized hunter-gatherer communities that know how to live with each other (the others will disappear.)

So that's my novel......

That...sounds pretty readable.

If your mom squatted in the middle of the Serengeti, the everglades or the Sahara gave birth to you and walked away. What are your rights to survival?

If you are driving down I-95 and the trucker in the next lane has a heart attack or just falls a sleep and cuts over and slams your car into a retaining wall. What are your rights to survival.

Does the lion, crocodile or malaria carrying mosquito have the right to decide who lives and who dies.

You have no right to life. You stack the deck and try to stay in the game and keep yours alive.

No one technically has the right to take your life. But, by accident or malice, many end up dead anyway. Right or not.

The ones who survive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

A better question might be who's lucky enough to survive. But if "rights" have anything to do with it I'm callin' dibs right now. (get it? rights? right now?)

Hey, maybe instead of who's right, maybe it's just who's left.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Everyone has the "right to survive" in any situation they are placed in. In a hypothetical SHTF fantasy that right is not suspended. It is one of the rights endowed by our Creator and one of the reasons I distrust people that do not believe in a Creator.

It is legally guaranteed by the Constitution under the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Preparation and training to invoke those rights is up to the individual, just as is education, career pursuits, personal finances management.

More importantly, no person has the "right" to decide who does not survive. That is a standard question that is asked on every psych test, cleverly disguised in some way. The person that feels they have that right is dealing with some severe issues and you do not want him in your life raft.
    So where does Roe v Wade fit in?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Is that fight on pay per view?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is that fight on pay per view?
    The fight isn't bad. The outcome however is pretty messy.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    So where does Roe v Wade fit in?
    No idea but if the government/SCOTUS isn't willing to concede that "life begins" at conception....then why is it that if you are drunk and run down a pregnant woman and kill them both, are you charged with a "double homicide?"

Can't have it both ways ya know...

...and I DO believe the woman has the "Right to choose"........she has the Right to choose proactive/precautionary birth control or keep yer effin knees together....

As to the OP.....

No one has the "Right" to survive...you either will or won't.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

I agree druid. My intent was not to side track the thread, but to make the point that the question on who has the "right" to survive is not just a "SHTF" situation. As KyRat pointed out, it is a given right by our creator or if one does not believe in a creator, there is the natural inclination to want to live no matter who or what you are. I was also simultaneously pointing out that even though our govt is restrained from attacking our rights, the govt does find ways to attack them regardless. In our country, Indian movement, slavery and abortion are the greatest humanitarian rights violations. Other countries do it to though. Germany with the Jews did it. Al Quida/ISIS/Islam/Muslim countries do it against Christians. The Conquistadors did it to native Central Americans, British against Scotts and Irish. Ever since mankind has figured out how to manipulate and kill, there has always been one group seeking to either eliminate or subdue another group. SHTF has nothing to do with it. All humans have the "right" to live, whether or not they do live is another story. My philosophy is to make as many friends in life as possible, but be wary of everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    No idea but if the government/SCOTUS isn't willing to concede that "life begins" at conception....then why is it that if you are drunk and run down a pregnant woman and kill them both, are you charged with a "double homicide?"

Can't have it both ways ya know...

...and I DO believe the woman has the "Right to choose"........she has the Right to choose proactive/precautionary birth control or keep yer effin knees together....

As to the OP.....

No one has the "Right" to survive...you either will or won't.
    So the man has absolutely no responsibility to make sure his little swimmers don't reach their target then eh? Wow that's one arrogant, selfish statement right there.

To the OP No-one has the right to survive, but I think we can all hope to.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    So the man has absolutely no responsibility to make sure his little swimmers don't reach their target then eh? Wow that's one arrogant, selfish statement right there.

To the OP No-one has the right to survive, but I think we can all hope to.
    I think there is a misunderstanding of differences amongst our countries Winnie. In the US, men only have responsibilities in these matters to the degree which women allow. Not saying I agree with it, just how it is. I believe it should be both persons equal responsibility since both people were equal in the participation. If a woman gets pregnant, all choices are hers and the man has no say but has to comply with all her demands. Kinda like marriage! (Runs and hides from the mrs....)

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I think there is a misunderstanding of differences amongst our countries Winnie. In the US, men only have responsibilities in these matters to the degree which women allow. Not saying I agree with it, just how it is. I believe it should be both persons equal responsibility since both people were equal in the participation. If a woman gets pregnant, all choices are hers and the man has no say but has to comply with all her demands. Kinda like marriage! (Runs and hides from the mrs....)
    nate pretty much summed it up but I can be a bit more crass about it......ahem......

she's not getting pregnant at all if she does what I say - proactive birth control or keep her knees together...and all of that's her choice. SHE has to 'let' him copulate with her - also her choice - because otherwise it's called rape.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Okay...we got way off course here. Let's move away from Roe Vs. Wade and all that shall we?