Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: who has a right to survive post shtf?

I need help expanding the kill zone. Any volunteers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I need help expanding the kill zone. Any volunteers?

Sure, I'm not doing anything after work this week anyhow.

Woof! Indiana to Ontario.....I'm safe.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hope all that stuff doesn't catch fire.......?
    The area is fireproof and there are 2 large halon extinguishers in the room for "just in case"

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    So you are eventually going to TAKE what you need? From whom?
    You are an Oathkeeper?

The meek will inherit the Earth. But usually only a 4' x 8' piece of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    When you do, rest assured I'll be waiting.
    I never said where I would get anything from - perhaps I should have made myself more clear on the matter, my apologies....

I have zero - zero - hostile intentions towards my fellow Countrymen. None. I will help my fellow compatriots in any way possible, to include taking them in, helping them medically or defending them when they can't defend themselves. One caveat is that my family will always come first. I will however, raid government supply lines if [and only if] necessary. I have [in the past] and can in the future, survive in a wilderness scenario when necessary and I can take from nature what I might need. I can show the People closest to me how to survive there too.

Sorry about the confusion and ruffled neck hairs - that was not my intention and I should have been more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    druid......you realize that in all likleyhood you are going to meet heavy resiatance. People aren't going to in most cases roll over and give up easily. On their home ground they'll have the advantage. Plus no matter how bad you are it's a good bet someone badder is out there. Or at least has better numbers.
    No no I completely understand that. I apologized for not being more clear just above your quote.

And you are absolutely correct - there is always someone bigger, smarter, faster and stronger than we [I? You? He? She? They? It? You?].....which is why I continue to stockpile my necessities and rotate out the old. My 'offense' is actually a strong defense but ultimately even that will break down or fail. Which is why I have 2 alternate fall-back plans and I'm working on a third.

Honestly, there's no 'foolproof' plan. Even for the hundreds of billions of dollars the government has spent on the same types of 'preparations' that we have, even they will run out of options at some point.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Well, there is no foolproof plan, but there are plans that have a large probability of success. That's why I like statistics. There are only a couple of things that come with a 100% or 0% tag; most things are somewhere between. I like the large numbers for success.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Do lawyers and politicians have the right to survive? I doubt either would be around to make the argument after SHTF because most will become targets of opportunity, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Do lawyers and politicians have the right to survive? I doubt either would be around to make the argument after SHTF because most will become targets of opportunity, LOL
    Well Grizz I honestly think those will be the ones who survive and get real busy kick'n a$$ and take'n names. Or another Government body will pick up the "DUTY" to control the masses no matter how thin the herd gets.

As to the OP I stand on the meek having the "right" . When I speak of the meek I mean the indigenous peoples of the world who still live in harmony with nature. Yes there are a few. Now will they, probably not! (remembering the wondrous people the roamed the Americas) But I do feel they have the "right" because there not at all responsible for the mess the masses in the civilized areas have created.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Everyone has the "right to survive" in any situation they are placed in. In a hypothetical SHTF fantasy that right is not suspended. It is one of the rights endowed by our Creator and one of the reasons I distrust people that do not believe in a Creator.

It is legally guaranteed by the Constitution under the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Preparation and training to invoke those rights is up to the individual, just as is education, career pursuits, personal finances management.

More importantly, no person has the "right" to decide who does not survive. That is a standard question that is asked on every psych test, cleverly disguised in some way. The person that feels they have that right is dealing with some severe issues and you do not want him in your life raft.
    Really, try being a real individual striving to live in harmony with nature with no ties what so ever to paying the taxes that support everything that is stopping you. Better yet tell that to ancestors of Sitting Bull, Red Cloud, ect. Wait, you probably know them personally and they love the current state of affairs. Did you really ever think about the history you've taught. You know the one were the winners write the history, and the losers had no rights what so ever!
    Last edited by Ted; 03-02-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Euuuuh......I don't think it has anything at all to do with profession or racial background - the idea of the "noble savage" is European. They were delusional. The lack of food caused by Europeans decimating game animals in North America brought out the other side of Native Americans that most humans have more opportunity to exhibit by virtue of being in a particular society. Native Americans were in harmony with nature because they had the opportunity to be so. And you hit the nail on the head, Ted. The system we live in is unbalanced.

But individuals are individuals. There are plenty of people of European extraction that understands that something is terribly wrong and will do what they can to balance things. Everybody in Alabama's a lawyer (litigation state), yet several of the Boy Scout leaders in the Crane District are real lawyers, so they have the credentials.

There are people who should survive - not because of any abstract "rights" they might have, but because they want to make things work and if they have half a chance, they will pull together a better world. But they won't survive unless the people who have the skills and strength help them get on with it.

Three men of the Powell expedition of the Grand Canyon didn't think they would survive the last leg of the journey, so they hiked out. They were the only ones that died. A Native American tribe mistook them for some Whites that had recently raped one of a neighboring tribe's women and killed them. That despite the fact that the Powell expedition had good relations with all the tribes in the area. I could spend quite a lot of time on the atrocities committed by Native American against other Native Americans.

When shtf happens, we'd better stop looking at irrelevant factors and decide who, individually, can be trusted, who will try to build a better world, and work toward that goal.

My fear is that we (Europeans, Native Americans, Christians, Buddhists, Lawyers, Animal Management Officers) are so far gone, we don't know what to look for. We're so far removed from what works, we wouldn't recognize it.