Thread: another newby ;)

Wildling

Cool another newby ;)

Yet to navigate around the site here but looking forward to sharing and gaining some skills. Have been living off grid backyard self sufficient style for past couple of years in preparation to get out into the bush here in Australia. So much to learn but having a lot of fun

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome home.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Welcome from Kentucky.

Me and a guy from South Africa were just yesterday sitting and talking about all the things that could kill you in Australia.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrat
    Me and a guy from South Africa were just yesterday sitting and talking about all the things that could kill you in Australia.

Oh crap. Hang on. I gotta get some paper. I see another list coming on.

Wildling

true, bities everywhere, but if you respect the wild it leaves you alone. just have to be careful. I'm lucky to be in an area that doesn't have crocodiles!
    I get the odd snake and red back spider in my living area, but I found that they get used to my movements. Haven't seen any redbacks for a while which is okay by me
    At least in Australia we don't have big cats and bears!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska. I happy to have bears and no spiders or snakes!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

No spiders? Geeze - sounds like you're trying to put me out of business.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

We have a few little ones but no poisonous spiders. Coming from the land of brown recluse, I like it.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Wildling

Thank you so much to the lovely users on this site who have welcomed me via this introduction thread. I really appreciate any response and big smiles when I do.
    I'm still finding it difficult to navigate this site. it will take some time. it might help to have some ?friends? to add, or if some of the groups will allow me to be included or accept my subscription? Forgive me if anyone is offended by what I have to say as follows. I don't mean to.
    Basically, I came to this forum to find anyone from Australia or NZ, share and gain skills from anyone on the planet in preparation to live a nomadic lifestyle or at least find a location to live. I have been living "off the grid" so to speak in a backyard and am borrowing the internet and a laptop so I can at least find some like minded people. I am finding that it is too noisy and some neighbour's cats are proving too diffcult and invading my living space. And no, I am not going to kill cats. Cats are being cats, it's the people who are responsible for them that need to be dealt with....and I've tried to deal with them in an intelligent way, but people will be people.
    Of all the people that I have met in my life I have never found anyone that is remotely interested in survival skills, seriously interested that is. A few years ago I spent what money I had left on camping equipment and bulk food for my off grid lifestyle. Have learned some skills, mostly identifying wild foods and making some stuff from what I've found and scavenged. I have been doing volunteer bushcare and people would not believe me when I told them how I was living, until they came and saw for themselves!!
    I am female, and coming up to my 47th winter, so as a female I have encountered skepticism, and have men shake their heads at me saying that it is impossible for me to live without money.....then after seeing the way I lived they shut up! As a female I am also in the vulnerable position of possibly being taken advantage of. I know that no matter how many muscles I build up a man will always be stronger than me. I took self defence lessons, but I know that this does not guarantee my safety, but I can say that if I was attacked the attacker would not leave unharmed in some way or another. I live in a country of people like Ivan Milat!
    I have always, for as long as I can remember, even as a kid before starting school, wanted to live in the wilderness, cabin in the woods, something living away from civilization. I have tried to live in the reformed way that is expected of me but I cannot! I want to do this, or at least die trying. I am single. I have no children. And I hate people telling me that I "can't do this or that", whatever it may be. I have always proved people wrong. If someone tells me that it can't be done or I can't do that, I like to prove them wrong. It is NOT stubborn to think this way. Most people always want to tell other people what to do and what's good for them. They don't want people to find their own way, they want them to believe their's is the right way.
    Now that I have that out of the way, is there anyone that can be my friend here that has the same frame of mind or at least is accepting of anyone's point of view or dream?
    Is there something in my settings that I should be doing to be more inclusive to this forum?
    I am unable to login on a daily basis as this laptop does not belong to me, nor do I have a mobile phone or am on fakebook. I am living in a shed without power...

You are accepted. You have found your path and it's yours to walk. Good for you. Live your life the way you want to live it on your terms.

As for self defense, your greatest asset is awareness. Know what is going on around you and trust your gut. If you get a peculiar feeling about something or someone then listen to your instincts. Your second greatest asset is avoidance. If a situation is developing or someone strikes you as weird then avoid the situation or extricate yourself from it or seek help. If you have to defend yourself then you have failed at awareness and avoidance. That's true for all of us.

Wildling

Thanks Rick, thank you so much for your post. Do you get out in the wild much yourself?
    I practice awareness all the time. As a female I can let emotion get in the way but I've certainly stepped up in awareness and it is a great thing to have in any kind of daily situation. Read a lot of Bruce Lee books
    It's such a shame that I'm going to have to hide from people, so I've been working on camouflage techniques. I did spend several years in the army so no a little about how to stalk through bush and keep out of site. Sadly, didn't learn much in the army about being bush as they didn't teach females much when I was a soldier. Hopefully it's better for females now.
    I have to laugh that the biggest threat in going into wilderness is humans, not the bities in the bush