Thread: Guess who's 922r ompliant now?

Default Guess who's 922r ompliant now?

heeheehee......I've had my Romanian love for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time now.....time for a makeover....

We got....
    ATI Fiberforce stock [3 parts]. Stock and grip are one piece [counts as 2], hand guard is 2 pieces [counts as 1 / total 3] Got it for the trade of my wood stocks.
    Tapco gas piston [1 part].
    RAK-1 US made trigger set [3 parts].

Total imported parts count is now at 8. If I were to buy US-made magazines, that would count for an additional 3 US made parts but I don't need them. I could buy US made Followers and floor plates for an additional 2 US parts [dropping it to 6 foreign parts] to go with the imported metal mag bodies if I wanted to....not sure if I want to thogh. "If it ain't broke........." is tapping me in the back of the head right now...

The rail came with the stock. Dunno if I like it or not. My AK has the side mount for the raised rail....I may end up getting one and a red dot. Not sure yet. I've been using the iron sights for almost 20 years now...eyes are getting old though...LOL

Tapco retainer plate [does not count].
    Oversized charging handle knob [does not count]

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My Yugo SKS is next dammit LOL.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Very nice!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Mine was 922 compliant when I bought it.

I have found that I like my AKs sort of plain Jane with little altered, other than sticking a scope mount and optic on there.

I have been caught up in the AR thing for a few months but if the world ever does fall apart around us I want to be holding my AK.

While the price of an AR has fallen the AK has slowly climbed, parts are more expensive and home builds are much more difficult.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

lol. Mine's an import, so it needed to be compliant to upgrade it. I'm getting old bud.....that wood was just getting heavy running around with and thought I'd try this. It was available, I was willing to trade the wood for polymer.....so I went and did it.

And I know what you mean about ARs. I built the one I posted pics of for less than $800 including the $100 optics.

...but 'Romy is tried and true. At one point I had 5.5K rounds through her without cleaning it [it's been cleaned since] so I know if stuff 'gets real' I don't have to worry about breaking her down for cleaning every 800 rds or so...
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Food for thought...

Depending on the price of the replacement US made parts you can reach a point of overlap....

You could have paid the $200 ATF tax and gone full auto or SBR and eliminated the need for 922r compliance!

And for those not in the know, if you bough your AK since the "Clinton ban" ended, or if it was made in the U.S. it is already compliant.

922r is one of those "pile on" laws that only gets enforced if another weapons charge is prosecuted.

The ATF itself states that burden of proof for place of manufacture of contested parts is on the ATF. Lack of markings, or the presence of markings, is not proof that parts are or are not US made. Very few of the replacement parts for any weapon are marked with place of origin and only parts intended for export are required to be marked by law. Most of the parts considered for "compliance" are not part of the numbering sequence we even look for in a "matched numbers" inspection and are not expected to be marked by anyone other than a 922r builder or inspector, whatever or whoever that inspector might be.

And you can not legally replace a broken "imported" part with another "imported part". All parts replacement must be with US made parts. No replacement of worn out trigger/sear/hammer with cheap imports, no replacement of built in magazine in SKS, or replacement of a burned out barrel, or replacement of a broken stock without going full 922r for the entire firearm.

No one seems to know what the penalty for breaking 922 is due to no one ever being arrested and prosecuted for 922 compliance alone.

BTW, they do not consider the insertion and removal of magazines to be "assembly", and since the law covers "parts removed" rather than parts added the magazine/follower/floor-plate unit being considered in the parts total is really a giveaway feature of the law.

There is a whole "parts marking" industry out there that has developed to fulfill the paranoia around 922r. Tapco would go bankrupt without it and the parts needed to fully comply an SKS are almost equal to the price of the firearm.

It is another of those stupid laws we have to follow, and spend a fortune to comply with, just because it is there.

It is probably the most violated law in the firearms code, with people changing out stocks and replacing magazines on SKS rifles and repairing worn out parts without knowing there is a law covering their actions.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-27-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Food for thought...

Depending on the price of the replacement US made parts you can reach a point of overlap....

You could have paid the $200 ATF tax and gone full auto or SBR and eliminated the need for 922r compliance!

And for those not in the know, if you bough your AK since the "Clinton ban" ended, or if it was made in the U.S. it is already compliant.

922r is one of those "pile on" laws that only gets enforced if another weapons charge is prosecuted.

The ATF itself states that burden of proof for place of manufacture of contested parts is on the ATF. Lack of markings, or the presence of markings, is not proof that parts are or are not US made. Very few of the replacement parts for any weapon are marked with place of origin and only parts intended for export are required to be marked by law. Most of the parts considered for "compliance" are not part of the numbering sequence we even look for in a "matched numbers" inspection and are not expected to be marked by anyone other than a 922r builder or inspector, whatever or whoever that inspector might be.

And you can not legally replace a broken "imported" part with another "imported part". All parts replacement must be with US made parts. No replacement of worn out trigger/sear/hammer with cheap imports, no replacement of built in magazine in SKS, or replacement of a burned out barrel, or replacement of a broken stock without going full 922r for the entire firearm.

No one seems to know what the penalty for breaking 922 is due to no one ever being arrested and prosecuted for 922 compliance alone.

BTW, they do not consider the insertion and removal of magazines to be "assembly", and since the law covers "parts removed" rather than parts added the magazine/follower/floor-plate unit being considered in the parts total is really a giveaway feature of the law.

There is a whole "parts marking" industry out there that has developed to fulfill the paranoia around 922r. Tapco would go bankrupt without it and the parts needed to fully comply an SKS are almost equal to the price of the firearm.

It is another of those stupid laws we have to follow, and spend a fortune to comply with, just because it is there.

It is probably the most violated law in the firearms code, with people changing out stocks and replacing magazines on SKS rifles and repairing worn out parts without knowing there is a law covering their actions.
    My firearm is preban and so, 922r applies. And I understand where you are coming from when you say "no one has been charged/convicted solely on 922r non-compliance" - but I'm not going to be that "test case" sitting in a federal pen somewhere because some overzealous inspector/agent goes full retard involving me. And I believe you are correct that "922r non-compliance is probably the most violated rule there is". Be that as it may, ignorance of the law is not a legal defense and their "pilot case" is not going to be me.

I could have applied for the $200 stamp - and waited 6 months to a year to receive it...no thanks. Besides...purchasing the tax stamp isn't nearly as much fun as getting my knuckles smacked 8 or 10 times with the hammer springs....or damn-near tearing a bicep trying to turn out a really stuck gas piston XD

As to magazines...it doesn't really matter to me if 'they' consider them as "giveaway" parts to a law or not. If they didn't want magazines/parts to count as compliance parts then they shouldn't have included them into the description of 922r compliance in the first place. As to a 'giveaway' part of law, it's entirely possible they included them solely because they knew eventually there will be some point where replacement parts - foreign or domestic - might simply dry up and become unobtainable. You cite Tapco as needing this to avoid bankruptcy - well I'd submit then there apparently don't because their once widely available SKS compliance "kit" was removed from their website many years ago. That particular kit had every part in one large kit - gone for at least 5 years [I personally believe it more closer to 10] - gas piston, operating rod, bolt, stocks, hand guards [with and without tubes], grips, trigger parts and magazines/parts. Every once in a while you may find a [Tapco] gas piston on a dealer website....but for the most part it's just down to stocks now. For the AK though, they still sell some parts they used to - G2 trigger kits, stocks, mag parts and piston.

Still - I like tinkering with my guns now and again. I have no personal issue with meeting 922r compliance [although I think the rule is just overall stupid]. So it costs me a few bucks. Big deal. That's the price I pay for having old guns that I want to bring into the 21st Century.