Thread: reasons for a back up freezer

Default reasons for a back up freezer

yesterday my upstairs freezer gave up the ghost and had to cook a little bit of meat.
    not much thank goodness and had to empty the large freezer i use for dry storage.
    so now i have afreezer twice as big that works. which means i now have to go shopping to fill it somewhat.
    fo now i have 2,5,gal pails of water to fill space and a 44,gal trashbag filled with air to also fill space.
    all i can say is thank goodness i had a extra freezer. if this happened to you and you did not have a back up it would not be good.just something to think about espesilly given what meat costs these days.
    or heck just food in general.

Having a freezer give up can be catastrophic.
    Loosing some meat gets expensive.

Have had it happen several time for various reasons including just having the power go out and then coming back on.....thaw then refreeze...still good?...LOL don't know.

We have cut back on the freezers, from two refrigerators with freezers, and a large chest type (old) and a big out right (old).
    Old up right was sold, and replaces with a small chest ....and we could give up the old upright...and cut back on electric.
    As there is just two of us and we eat lesswith more fresh foods and veggies...the meat doesn't get used as often.

Thankfully there are plenty of good coolers around, and we do stock orange juice bottles (flatter) for ice....we can beat the freezer down situation ....if we are there.
    Problem come in when traveling and loosing an appliance or power outage...and you are not there..

Microwave plugged into the same circuit as refrigerator at "The Place" has a clock the starts blinking when the power is out, and won't stop till reset...so acts as a "tell tale".

The other angle is the amount of food that gets froze and never used till it goes bad.........which is very sad.
    One really need to looks hard to see if bulk buying and having stashed food....that will and does go bad in not used.

MIL freezer was an archeological dig....10 years of turkey carcasses,(saved for soup, but never made)....in layers in the bottom of the chest freezer......LOL

(Sorry but Pet peeve rant).....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Having a freezer in the basement is good for several reasons. One is hiding ice-cream from kids. Another is hiding ice-cream or hotpockets from your sister-in-law.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

I do happen to have a back up freezer, I had a small freezer that got too small, so I purchased a bigger more energy efficient one, it is plugged in on a dedicated line in the basement with an LED lighted plug, I also installed an outside outdoor thermometer with a prove to detect freezer failure. I kept the smaller freezer for when I need too clean the bigger one, I can transfer the food over while the old one gets cleaned, and during now use and unplugged I use it to store goods.

Growing up we had a freezer that held a side of beef along with what ever else we procured. It only had to go out once and my dad put an alarm on it.

I couldn't swear by it, but, I think my Dad is still running he same freezer.

My freezer is a stack freezer and is always full. If the power goes out that food is good for a long time. Just stay out of it.

During Wilma I limited opening of the meat freezer to once a day. Used the meat as ice to keep stuff cooled until it thawed.

we are still using a GE "Freon" freezer from the 1950's its....LOOOODED! Some day its going to take a crap and I will miss it. It sits in the kitchen and is as big as "smart" car. We defrost the darn thing about once a year. When the power fails its three inch walls holds the cold in and nothing gets thru for two days. Why? there is a damn big solid block of ice in the bottom. 2 milk jugs of distilled water frozen yea drinking water... so if it defrosts I have drinking water.

Never stood in line for dry ice... because I don't have too.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I gonna have to say.......Many people have excessive freezer space that they think they need..... but don't.

Been pulling house husband duties lately as DW heals her knee.

Been finding stuff that is several years old.....that I'm sure would just get discarded quietly....And I have been, but carefully....don't want to tread out of my area of expertise.

I try to stay out of that area.....but I can see the temptation of "If you have the space, you will fill it".

One must be smart on actual your usage, ability to buy bulk at good prices, and the knowledge that you are better prepared with food put by.

But you also must be realistic on your actual needs....and what it is you care to eat.

Having a freezer go bad sometimes points out the mistakes we all make in the quest of self sufficiency.....and the warm fuzzy feeling we get by having it "There".

I haven't had a freezer for a couple years, ever since my landlord accidentally unplugged mine and I realized it a week later in texas heat.

I miss my meat stash and have been thinking of getting another. Probably not as big because the kids aren't home much.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Mike View Post
    I do happen to have a back up freezer, I had a small freezer that got too small, so I purchased a bigger more energy efficient one, it is plugged in on a dedicated line in the basement with an LED lighted plug, I also installed an outside outdoor thermometer with a prove to detect freezer failure. I kept the smaller freezer for when I need too clean the bigger one, I can transfer the food over while the old one gets cleaned, and during now use and unplugged I use it to store goods.
    No more back up freezer for a while, had to put it to use for deer meet. When I go to the store if I see meats on sale, I buy it and stored it in the freezer; I spend 6-7 months in Virginia fishing and crabbing (blue crab) and it is impossible to eat all that meat while in Virginia, so I put the crab meat in pint canning jars and vacuum them and freeze them, the fish I freeze in water to prevent freezer burn, them when I make a trip home I bring them with me ands store them in the freezer to use when I get back home. This is the first time I had to use both freezer at one time, so it does come in handy to have 2 freezers just in case.

I have a small freezer. I buy a whole lamb in the late spring and a good size chunk of beef to chop into steaks when needed. Plus all the produce from the garden that tastes better frozen than canned.

Question, why is a big bag of air any better than an empty freezer? I just fill mine with water jugs like Wise Old Owl mentioned. Air does me no good and doesn't hold the cold like frozen water.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I used to live in the Sierra Mountains. Beautiful. The bummer....any storm which rolled through took out power. Do to the high cost of food locally and the fact the power was so fickle we had a second fridge, a second freezer, DVD player, Dish, cable, a BBQ with extra propane tanks and a generator which was big enough to run half the house. We had 3 ways of heating the house, central air, a wood burning stove and a pellet stove. If the power went out the central air and pellet stove were worthless. We had a couple of portable heaters as well but never used them.

New to this forum. We have two side by side frig/freezers. Husband bought a very big upright for us last year. We too experience power outages but fortunately nothing over a 24 hr period.
    Regarding back up. I guess if the power was to disappear, I'd pull out my canners & start canning everything I could before it went bad. Fortunately we have two canners & I've pressure canned meats (easiest), veggies & just about everything in between.
    It just tears at me when folks throw out food that could have been canned - become shelf stable. Guess that's just me

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......
    There is a an intro section to say hello at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Line your freezer with jugs of water, like 2 liter pop bottles, and your freezer will last longer in a power outage. Think of your freezer as a really efficient ice-chest with an air conditioner mounted on the back. When the lights go out not only will your food stay cold longer with the extra ice-jugs, but you can drink the jugs when they thaw. It is a win-win preparation.

Backyardcreek, do you have enough canning jars to do your whole freezer/fridge? It also will take a hellacious amount of propane to boil a pressure canner for an hour-plus for each batch.

The one time I had to dump a freezer, I just invited the neighbors to a bbq. Yeah, so, it was December. Bring a plate and a fork. Didn't want to waste it but had no way at the time to can it all. Have since remedied that issue, but still not sure I have enough jars or enough propane. Thinking about installing a wood burner stove out on the patio or maybe a propane stove in the garage near the line for the generator. Assuming I think I can get a propane delivery....
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I'm a cook and eat guy my self, for meats.........but squash, pumpkin, and various other produce goes in the compost.
    Would not even consider re-handling froze stuff again.

There is a limit.
    If you live in an area where power outages are common, a back up generator, or other alternate preservation method to start with maybe a better bet.
    Freezing is a convenience....Cheap and easy.....and is over used by people that don't know how or the work/ skill to dry and can.